• Administrator
Salty Dog

Edited by Paul
added tags
  • Like 5
colemanlee

years ago, I use to watch the A10's roll in on the East Coast Bombing range at Piney Island...what they could do to a target was unbelievable, for me its one of the finest AC around, and they just re-winged it so it will be around till sometime like 2035

angbumabasa

I only once saw one fly. At an airshow. Came in south horizontal to the runway, about 200' up, made a hard right, and disappeared to the west. Later, met a friend of my wife's husband. A Filipina. He was an A-10 pilot in Germany. If Russia had invaded, he said that they were told that their maximum life span would be three days.

Headshot

That's what the enemy hasn't learned just yet. They are a bit slow. 

Can you imagine a squadron of A-10 Tank Killers, with you in their sites? 

Here is a thread I created about my favorite plane, back in July, 2010.

And yet the leadership of the US Air Force doesn't think they are sexy enough to keep in the inventory. They have tried to decommission them four times. In truth, we should be building lots more of them, since the F-35 will NEVER replace them. Unfortunately, the US Air Force is led by fast-burner drivers who think that only fighters are valuable. Oh yeah...and civilian leaders who have no idea about what aircraft capabilities are needed in today's world.

And yet the leadership of the US Air Force doesn't think they are sexy enough to keep in the inventory. They have tried to decommission them four times. In truth, we should be building lots more of them, since the F-35 will NEVER replace them. Unfortunately, the US Air Force is led by fast-burner drivers who think that only fighters are valuable. Oh yeah...and civilian leaders who have no idea about what aircraft capabilities are needed in today's world.

The A-10 doesn't need ANYTHING, certainly not replacing. She may not be as fast as other birds. But, with her armament and her fire power, she doesn't need to be. :) 

I am not familiar with the F-35, aside from it being a Lockheed Martin plane, and a new bird.

However, I am familiar with my Warthog. The A-10 Warthog has been around since the mid-seventies. You gotta figure, though. Planes that have been around since the mid-70s, and are still is as destructive, yet safe for those who fly them, are definitely something not ready for the scrap pile. That just means those who designed and built the planes knew what the hell they were doing! 

I don't know what others here know about this plane. But, it has a Titanium "tub" that the pilot basically sits in that protects him or her from incoming fire. I have no idea how much protection the tubs actually provide. But, I do know they will stop 20mm rounds from penetrating and making their way through to the pilot. Perhaps they will stop even larger incoming projectiles? Either way, that says a lot. 20mm? That's a hell of a round. (I wonder how much protection the F-35 provides for the pilot? I have no idea, honestly.)

By the way, the A-10 has a very unique sound as it approaches. I can only imagine what our enemies have felt over the past decades, as they saw one of the ugliest planes in US military service about to rain down a fiery death upon them, and the armor they were in hopes of hiding behind.

I was very fortunate to grow up in Savannah, Ga. I had both Hunter Army Airfield and Fort Stewart military bases relatively close to my home. (I grew up in Avondale, a middle class subdivision located on the East side of Savannah.) If it weren't birds in the air, it was ground troops training. I remember, as a boy playing outside, watching squadrons of F-16s, A-10's, as well as other planes flying overhead. It always made me feel pretty safe - not to mention damned proud. I used to Thank God those folks were in the cockpits overhead.

To take these birds out of service would be one of the worst military decisions they could ever make.

Headshot

I don't disagree with you, Paul. I have watched the a-10 operate many times, and fully support them. More should be built. The F-35 does NOT have ANY of the capabilities needed to replace the A-10. That won't stop the politicians, bureaucrats and generals from continuing their quest to pull A-10's out of the inventory.

Can you imagine? The pilot can empty the entire ammunition drum for that gun in 18 to 20 seconds? :D  

God, I have GOT to find a movie with A-10's in it, to watch.