Adoption?

My wife and I have been trying to have a baby for over a year and still no luck. I have been tested and the chances are very low of her getting pregnant from me. 

We have decided to adopt a baby. Does anyone know of a orphanage in Cebu or Ormoc area. Thanks

Soarking

Are you located in Cebu and planning on doing the adoption from here?

My wife and I did our adoption from in The LA area and know of an agency there that can walk you through the entire process.

Skywalker

Be aware that this is a huge step.  I'm sure you've thought it through, as you seem like a sensible chap, but if might be worth speaking with somebody who has actually gone through the procedure.  I'm pretty sure it won't be a simple matter - in a Country that thrives on bureaucracy and back handers. 

You need to also be aware that not all kids in orphanages are parentless.  There are many reasons why they end up there, so be diligent.  Absent parents can, and do, come out of the woodwork when they see an opportunity to make some cash from their offspring - I saw it happen to a good friend of mine in Thailand.

I used to help a friend in Thailand organising day trips for street children and orphans. They often appear like little angels, but be aware that many are very smart operators who have learned, the hard way, how to get what they want in their short lives.  Also be aware that many have siblings, specially here in the Philippines.  Make your selection very carefully, another friend of mine adopted a small boy in Korea, and during the process discovered he had an older brother and sister - to his credit he took them all and moved to the North of Thailand to raise them.

Good luck.

• Like 4
colemanlee

You need to also be aware that not all kids in orphanages are parentless.  There are many reasons why they end up there, so be diligent.  Absent parents can, and do, come out of the woodwork when they see an opportunity to make some cash from their offspring - I saw it happen to a good friend of mine in Thailand.

I know a woman here, a drunk,dope head, gambler, married to a pedi cab driver, has to date put five kids in a Catholic Orphanage, has about the same number at home and is pregnant again...has no idea who the fathers are.  I am very sure if she got wind that someone wanted to adopt one of those kids, she would have them on the string for as long as she could squeeze it....

Several of the kids have obvious mental deficiencies, I'm sure from the surroundings in which they were conceived and malnutrition.  

Make very sure you know the background of the kids, I totally applaud wanting to adopt, Im in the process of adopting the kids my wife had when I met her, but like Skywalker said...proceed with caution....and have a very good lawyer....  

• Like 3

You need to also be aware that not all kids in orphanages are parentless.

Surprisingly true, but it's a simple request to narrow it down to the ones that are. Someone on LinC went through the adoption process, it took years.

colemanlee

Larry, I would suggest that you first consult with DSWD.

I would suggest you have your lawyer first consult with DSWD....save a lot of trouble later

• Like 2
shadow

Larry, I would suggest that you first consult with DSWD.

PIM, consult DSWD about what? If you are referring to needing DSWD clearance or a Father's signature for a child to leave the country, that law was abolished several years ago. How do I know this? We have sent dozens of children to the US without DSWD clearance or Father's signature. All they need is a visa and to be registered with the CFO.

For adopted children one must have massive proof that the child was in the US citizen's care for at least two years to qualify for a visa.

DSWD does not enter the picture any more for a child going to the US. DSWD may come into play on getting the Philippine adoption completed, but not to leave the country.

Edited by shadow

Shadow, Fordtech lives permanently in the Philippines. He is not looking to do an international adoption.

DSWD are the correct Philippines government department that are responsible for regulating for all adoptions in the Philippines.

• Like 1
shadow

Shadow, Fordtech lives permanently in the Philippines. He is not looking to do an international adoption.

DSWD are the correct Philippines government department that are responsible for regulating for all adoptions in the Philippines.

I was referring to a child leaving the country, not about the adoption itself. From my post;

"DSWD may come into play on getting the Philippine adoption completed, but not to leave the country."

There are two similar threads going, maybe you were referring to a different Larry (Fordtech?), as I had not posted in this thread prior to your first comment.

I agree DSWD will come into play on the adoption. Years ago DSWD or the Father's permission was a requirement for a child to leave the country. That is no longer the case, and what I thought you were referring to.

shadow

Be advised that the adoption process for a non relative (orphan) differs considerably from a family member adoption. You may wish to PM member Wacobay, as he went through the adoption process a few years back. It's a pretty involved process, your first step should be to find a good lawyer with considerable adoption experience. Accept no substitutes. A bad or uninformed lawyer is worse than no lawyer at all.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/user/13298-wacobay/

Some posters in this topic appear to think that Fordtech (the original poster) is looking to adopt a child in the Philippines to take overseas. He has not mentioned anything in this regard. Fordtech and has Filipina partner both live permanently in the Philippines and has no current desire to move to any other country.

The process of adoption of an orphaned child does not require the use of a lawyer first. The who process comes under DSWD control. That is why I suggested that he first consult with DSWD.

Edited by PIM
shadow

Some posters in this topic appear to think that Fordtech (the original poster) is looking to adopt a child in the Philippines to take overseas. He has not mentioned anything in this regard. Fordtech and has Filipina partner both live permanently in the Philippines and has no current desire to move to any other country.

The process of adoption of an orphaned child does not require the use of a lawyer first. The who process comes under DSWD control. That is why I suggested that he first consult with DSWD.

For most US citizens who adopt here, at one time in the future they may wish to give the child US citizenship and/or take the child overseas for a visit to meet family. For that, as a Filipino, in most cases they would need a visa. Most that live here "permanently" do not, in fact, spend the rest of their lives here and never return home ever again. So it is something one should be informed about when considering adoption, as no US visa will be forthcoming for an adopted child for at least about three years.

As I was just involved in another thread about visas for children, when you said "Larry", I thought you were referring to me. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

I would tend to trust info from DSWD much more han anything any "orphanage" told me.    As previously stated, few kids in orphanages are true orphans and parents/relatives come out of the ground if they sniff a foreigners money.   Not to mention the lawyers, courts.

Also, Internation adoptiona and adoptions by a mixed couple living in the Philippines are two completely different animals.    Kind of like comparing a banana to a car.

I adopted my wifes daughter some years ago in Cebu City.   Took about 6 months to finalize.   With new computers, etc, takes about 18 months or more now and costs much more.    

A very diffficult thing for you will be the fact you apparently plan on continue to live in the Philippines, thereby exposing yourself to greedy parent/relative/lawyers looking for some of the multi-millions you have,   Foreigners almost NEVER win in a Philippine court even if married to a Philippino.

YYou should consider artificial insemination.   I know this is available in Thailand.   Costs????   No idea.

• Like 1