Living in a neutral country with a Filipina

I've been with my Filipina for quite a few years and married for the last couple of those. We have a strong marriage and have a child - will probably stop at two.

We are living in the UK, but I am now (more than) ready to take early retirement and have decided that next year will be the year to re-locate. I know the Philippines well and like it, but also know and like many other countries too (having also lived in couple).

I feel I could quite happily move to the Philippines, but it's fair to say my wife would prefer not too. She would fully support any decision I ultimately make without question, but her preference if we leave the UK would be to live in another tropical country other than her homeland.

In my personal situation, my wife has no immediate family living in the Philippines and extended family have proved to be (putting it kindly) more of a burden and she doesn't miss them!

Anyone done life in a neutral country; got any views on the draw backs, benefits or otherwise?

• Like 5
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

well i'm from brooklyn she's from cebu

we live in texas

that's pretty damn close 

• Like 4
colemanlee

Seriously look at Costa Rica or Belize  

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Panama and Costa Rica are both highly rated for expat retirement areas. They also offer many incentives to get retirees to move there. They would meet your climate requirements as well.

• Like 2
miles-high

Hawaii! Only 7 hours to Manila! Alternatively, Guam, only 3.5 hours to Manila! (I hear Cebu flights start soon...). Much nicer than the mainland USA, IMO. :D Similar climate, cleaner air, no traffic congestion (except Friday night on Kalakaua), many Filipinos and Filipino foods! :D

• Like 6

Perhaps a commonwealth country, i.e. Singapore, Vancouver B.C, OZ, NZ. It may be less immigration hassle.

For the US I would second the vote for Hawaii.

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY

Maybe Florida U.S.A.? Just beware of sink holes and hurricanes. It's sort of has a tropical

climate and the cost of living I hear is still reasonable, at least lower than Hawaii's. 

For off the beaten path, how about here? No where near the P.I.!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BDhe48ea34

Not enough people speak English in Florida

• Like 8
Skywalker

Singapore is as expensive as London.

Unless you are very active in a business sense, it's about as soulless a place as I've ever been.

Panama has a strong British presence I've read, though I haven't been there.

Best advice is go there (any Country), rent a place, see if it fits.   :coffee: There's nothing like 'boots on the ground' to get a flavour of any Country in my view.

• Like 2

Cambodia could fit the bill.

Weather is good as are the many beaches.

Foods pretty good too.

Beer cheap and tasty.

Rents less that Philippines.

Best part is the visa requirements.

$US100 per year and never have to leave.

KonC

• Like 2
Thalcoozyo

Cambodia could fit the bill.

Weather is good as are the many beaches.

Foods pretty good too.

Beer cheap and tasty.

Rents less that Philippines.

Best part is the visa requirements.

$US100 per year and never have to leave.

KonC

Have a buddy who just came from Cambodia. He liked it.  Said it reminds him of the Phils of about 25-30 yrs. ago.

• Like 1
arentol

Anyone done life in a neutral country; got any views on the draw backs, benefits or otherwise?

I'll chime-in to the conversation here... I understand you're looking for a tropical location and it may be nice to select a locale that's not too far from the Philippines, just in case your wife misses any of the local cuisine (I understand that she has no immediate family here).

I'd like to suggest Malaysia and, with regards to the legalities of living there, the Malaysia My Second Home programme. Below is a video to give you an idea of what it's all about and the official page is here. Quite a few Britons like yourself have settled there and seem to enjoy it.

I've visited Malaysia and, personally, really enjoyed it. I lived in Singapore for awhile as well, but it wasn't my cup of tea -- too authoritarian and sanitary for my tastes. Malaysia is a nice middle ground between a clean/advanced country and the chaos of SE Asia.

Hope this helps,

Aren

Have a buddy who just came from Cambodia. He liked it.  Said it reminds him of the Phils of about 25-30 yrs. ago.

I've met dozens of guys who said exactly that.

I had a restaurant in Thailand for 4 years back in the late eighties and I see Cambodia these days as being similar.

Visa and ability to work though are much easier in Cambodia.

You never have to visit immigration, just pay $US100 per year and you're good to go.

Another good thing, ATM's dish out $US and you pay everything in $US.

KonC

• Like 1
miles-high

I've visited Malaysia and, personally, really enjoyed it.

I don't know if I like the sound of Karaoke in some parts of the Philippines better, or the blaring morning chants in Malaysia, Indonesia and all those countries... :)

• Like 2