Any Foreigners living here?

colemanlee

Some of us live fairly close to each other, at least Leyte....last five years I have never been asked to fill out anything...after Yolanda they did come by and ask how many people were in the house..but that was for relief purposes...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayT

• colemanlee

• JamesMusslewhite

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually that so you dont meet another woman, or give any of your money to anybody but them

I believe some members have said they knew of a requirement to have foreign residents "register" with the barangay. It may very well be that there is some sort of requirement.   I have lived here

Agree.. I think Filipina's have an unwritten rule about foreigners..  "Possession is nine tenths of the law".  

contraman

just arrogant self-serving chair-polishing desk-rat bureaucrats.

Is that what is written on their Name Cards ?  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Wow, so no trial or anything, just hang 'em

I wouldn't go that far. Then again I am not from Texas :)

By and large the majority of us (foreigners) in the Philippines do the right thing and have no problems.

I was referring to the 'bad' foreigners who reap-what-they-sow. 

I am aware that a certain level of corruption occurs and that some are probably targeted for the wrong reasons and are hard done by but these are the exception to the rule and in those cases you would hope that a just outcome is the end result.

Davaoeno

and in those cases you would hope that a just outcome is the end result.

Yes- you can always hope so . However once the shit hits the fan you are at an extreme disadvantage, with only a fleeting chance for natural justice [ or any kind of justice!].  More often than not if you are a foreigner and they want someone to blame the evidence will conveniently show that whatever happened it was your fault   [ altho of course a large amount of money will usually solve the problem !]  

And its not just the "bad" foreigners who get railroaded and extorted. If it was I would have no problem with things.   But for many filipinos all foreigners are bad foreigners .   

• Like 3
JamesMusslewhite

How effective did you find that in Viet Nam ?

Actually quite well, after the Tet Offensive they were spent and decimated. They could not believe we did not push it further and were even more surprised we pulled out. We allowed the liberal media, pacifist and politicians to pull a defeat out of the jaws of victory.

How has appeasement and inaction worked in Jolo over the last 30 years?

Until they hunt this snake down and cut off it's head, it will continue to strike and strike again. Pacifist and cowards are both a rather a silly lot. When it is others in harms way they want to be politically correct and lean towards appeasement and inaction; but when it is actually they who are in harms way, then all of a sudden they want decisive action done now dammit. They will still be here kidnapping for easy money 30 years from now. Why? Cowards and pacifist being cowards and pacifist. :biggrin_01:

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

I wouldn't go that far. Then again I am not from Texas :)

By and large the majority of us (foreigners) in the Philippines do the right thing and have no problems.

I was referring to the 'bad' foreigners who reap-what-they-sow. 

I am aware that a certain level of corruption occurs and that some are probably targeted for the wrong reasons and are hard done by but these are the exception to the rule and in those cases you would hope that a just outcome is the end result.

In Texas bubba it only ones that kill citizens without due process is criminals and cops. :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

A group of people who said 'we are from the Government' came to our place (in an out of the way provincial area of Neg. Oriental.) asking if any foreigners lived here. If so, then please give us all the details so we can register them as living at this address for 'security' reasons.

Surely your family knows who their local barangay officials are? If they didn't recognize the people then they should make an inquiry with the barangay immediately as to the authenticity of your visitors. 

• Like 3
to_dave007

Surely your family knows who their local barangay officials are? If they didn't recognize the people then they should make an inquiry with the barangay immediately as to the authenticity of your visitors. 

Or ask who you have to go see at the municipal LGU to give the information.  and then go in and do it directly.

• Like 1

But for many filipinos all foreigners are bad foreigners .   

I remember having a conversation not that long ago about this subject. Apparently there is a general objection to "old" white guys being with/getting married to young filipinos; like being stereotyped/profiled and every white guy is guilty regardless.

But its like I said to them why judge someone else because you don't like being judged (what is it with filipino's and vanity/being scared of people judging them?) and its their life not yours, nothing to do with you.

I got dirty looks and got yelled at... "you don't understand.....your white".

So I left the conversation went to the fridge and got myself a San Mig Light and felt a whole lot better   :)

Edited by JayT
  • Like 1

I don't think they are that smart. The first question I asked them was "did you ask for ID"... no.... second question was "well how do you know they were from the government".... because they said they were....

I have given up asking "why" here because it would be easier to beat my my head against a brick wall; I would get more coherent answers from the wall. 

• Like 2

Many good comments above especially not letting anyone in your house or property you do not know. As a general rule Filipinos know where the foreigners live so no need for the criminals to come around asking questions. It was probably a government inquiry for some useless reason or a scam.

The key for living here is keep the doors locked and a low profile. If you are in business or need to be in public then dig a hole in the jungle and once the first person who screws you disappears the rest of the locals will fall in line.

If you do not want to get your hands dirty stick with point one.

• Like 1
Headshot

The government contracts out the census taker jobs, so if they were from the census (asking all kinds of questions), they might not have been recognizable by the locals.

Skywalker

The census people came to my house last week.  I was out.

After asking many questions, they stuck a large red sticker on my pristine white house.

I removed it, and placed it on the gate post.   :coffee:

• Like 1
Headshot

Many good comments above especially not letting anyone in your house or property you do not know. As a general rule Filipinos know where the foreigners live so no need for the criminals to come around asking questions. It was probably a government inquiry for some useless reason or a scam.

The key for living here is keep the doors locked and a low profile. If you are in business or need to be in public then dig a hole in the jungle and once the first person who screws you disappears the rest of the locals will fall in line.

When the census takers came to my house a couple of weeks ago, my wife had a long talk with them, and in addition to answering their questions, found out a lot of things about the census. Here are a few of them...

1. The census is done every five years.
  2. Each census looks at different aspects of life in the Philippines, so they don't ask the same questions each time.
  3. The census takers are on contract, and are not actually government workers (though they may represent themselves as such).
  4. They are only interested in foreigners if they have been living here for more than a year (at which time the census considers them residents).
Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
Davaoeno

Last week Headshot said the thing to do here is to kill squatters to get rid of them . When i said that was not a good thing he said people should realize it was a joke. Today you talk about burying people who give you trouble in business in the jungle.

Am I just being overly sensitive or is it not a good idea to post things like this on the public forum ?