Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

What they don't tell you when you leave the Philippines

cvgtpc1

If they feel this way and came to a Western country with a spouse from that country than he's an ass for not making her feel at home there. Unless you're in a town of 100, 100 miles in the middle of nowhere there's ways around this.

• Like 6

broden

people almost always miss where they come from.. good places bad places whatever.. i miss the old crime ridden neighborhood of my youth and the slum we lived in.

nothing wrong with that. 

cvgtpc1

It is not like that at all. It is a longing for anything that is Filipino. Just as so many Expats comment on wanting a good Steak or the company of another Expat. It is about being around similar culture and heritage. You could turn this just the same for many an expat that live in the Philippines Full Time. So I disagree with your perspective and say it is naive to think your efforts will replace the sights,smells,tastes and sounds of the Philippines. There is nothing that will replace the homeland no matter the effort. If the wives and husbands read this I think they would say "yes its true how it is nice". An ass would be denying them the satisfaction of the memories and trying to impose your will as an American.

Excellent points all....I spoke too soon.
  • Like 5

NOSOCALPINOY

It can surly happen to anyone, not just to Filipinos who has to pull

up stakes living anywhere and move somewhere else unknown! 

Homeland could also mean what one has left behind for whatever

the reasons, good, bad or indifferent.   

• Like 3

liquido

Thats her perspective but the Filipino's i have met in the Chicagoland really do not miss there limited cuisine.....

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Well I will say that many of those things she has pointed out don't seem to apply to my wife. Espically the lonliness thing. My wife already has closer friends here, both Filipino and non-Filipino. She can't believe how much more friendly the people are here. Something she comments on daily. The few foods she missed, she has found she can still buy locally. In nearly a year, she said she can't remember one person asking where she was from or to repeat herself because they didn't understand her. She loves the quiet and serenity of our neighborhood. She is learning to drive, something she would have never done in the Philippines. I keep asking when she would like to go back for a visit and she says it hasn't even entered her mind. When we were at the Asian store in Orlando we were both laughing when we left because of how damn near rude the checkout lady was. My wife said it felt like being back in the Philippines...

• Like 8

contraman

Everyone always talks about how good it was back home, myself included.

That was until I went back home and thought

What did I really like about this place :idontknow:

• Like 8

USMC-Retired

Well I will say that many of those things she has pointed out don't seem to apply to my wife. Espically the lonliness thing. My wife already has closer friends here, both Filipino and non-Filipino. She can't believe how much more friendly the people are here. Something she comments on daily. The few foods she missed, she has found she can still buy locally. In nearly a year, she said she can't remember one person asking where she was from or to repeat herself because they didn't understand her. She loves the quiet and serenity of our neighborhood. She is learning to drive, something she would have never done in the Philippines. I keep asking when she would like to go back for a visit and she says it hasn't even entered her mind. When we were at the Asian store in Orlando we were both laughing when we left because of how damn near rude the checkout lady was. My wife said it felt like being back in the Philippines...

My wife being shy and not the most outgoing (as many province girls are when born, raised and lived, never outside 1km block) tends to see it a little more like this I would assume. I do not think she would trade her cuisine today for that of the Phillipines either. However she surely misses a few things. Green Mangos, Ginamos, and Nanka being a few. Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1

liquido

They see the enormous choice of differant ethic foods and that everything does not have to be sweet...Nothing wrong with a sweet avocado shake but thats the only way they know how to eat an avocado for just an example.....

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

They see the enormous choice of differant ethic foods and that everything does not have to be sweet...Nothing wrong with a sweet avocado shake but thats the only way they know how to eat an avocado for just an example.....

But hey I only knew you made guacamole with it till I saw it with milk drink in the Philippines. Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 2

liquido

But hey I only knew you made guacamole with it till I saw it with milk drink in the Philippines.

I have had avocado shakes at juice bars at health clubs before but not as sweet...When i was living in Bohol i made a killer guacamole and had my neighbors GF  try it and she made a bad face and i said whats wrong?  She said its NOT SWEET...haha..Like i said im just using avocado as an example..

ex231

My wife would miss her family but I don't think much else.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

I think you would be amazed what she misses. Some really odd things my wife tells me she misses from time to time.

• Like 1