Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Bavarian Soft Pretzel

Wolfpack

with all the ingredients now in hand...many of which were shipped in a BB...we made Bavarian Soft Pretzels today...and it is an all day affair...

ingredients:

active dry yeast

unbleached bread flour

brown sugar

vegetable oil

kosher salt

food grade lye

pretzel salt

make the dough...

4 1/2 cups of flour

2 Tbs light brown sugar

2 1/4 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbs vegetable oil

mix yeast with 1 1/2 cups of warm water...let it settle for about 5 minutes...and pour into dough mix...

knead dough for about 10 minutes...cover in a bowl with plastic wrap...let it rise for 2 hours...

cut the dough into 6 balls...sprinkle with oil...wrap in plastic for 30 minutes...

shape the pretzels...put on parchment paper...freeze for 2 hours...

take the frozen pretzels...dip them in the Lye ( mix  2 cups of cold water with 1 1/2 Tbs Lye)...(USE PROTECTIVE GLOVES)

dip them in the Lye for 5 seconds...that is all it takes...

let the pretzels thaw and rise for 2 hours...sprinkle with pretzel salt...

cook them @ 400 degrees til you get your desired color...took me about 20 minutes...

tips...do not keep adding flour if you think the dough is too sticky...too much flour will make the pretzels too hard and less tasty...make sure your surfaces are greasy with vegetable oil, not flour...

this recipe will make you 6 nice size pretzels...

Edited by Wolfpack
  • Like 4

angbumabasa

Did that once in the States. Never did it again since it's a PITA. Like making your own Sauer Kraut or beer. Or Pizza dough. Also a bit like cooking up 100lbs of 10 count shrimp, and having left overs.

Wolfpack

Did that once in the States. Never did it again since it's a PITA. Like making your own Sauer Kraut or beer. Or Pizza dough. Also a bit like cooking up 100lbs of 10 count shrimp, and having left overs.

there is nowhere to find Soft Bavarian Pretzels in the Philippines...gotta make them yourself...

agent17

Watch out.  You know who will come in here and ask why you like Bavarian food so much and tell you to go live in Bavaria.

• Like 2

Enuff

google is your friend..............

Where to find the best bread in the Philippines?

If you are lucky, to live in Cebu Mactan Island, your best bread is just around the corner. The Haruhay Dream Resort is not just baking bread for their own guests, it is available for you and me every day fresh and always yummy. The Resort is located in Lapu Lapu City, Marigondon Beach Road close to the famous Plantation Bay. Easy to find, easy to reach.

This bread you can now pick up in Lapu Lapu City.
  • German bread rolls Bavarian recipe
  • German bread rolls with sesame seeds
  • German bread rolls with poppy seeds
  • German rye-bread
  • European spelt bread German recipe
  • German raisin bread (white bread with raisins)
  • French bread (crispy white bread)
  • German pretzel (the bestseller at the Oktoberfest in Munich).

http://www.haruhay-philippines.com/bread.html

• Like 1

broden

cooking is like many other things

once you get past the basic stuff, if you don't enjoy the process itself the outcome will never be enough fot the time and effort involved

just like some guys really like to tinker on their cars ( and can do it all day, stripping down entire engines and such)  where as some people absolutely do not and anything beyond getting gas or perhaps changing the battery is too much of a pain in the ass to bother with

we've made pretzels and pretzel bread cause we enjoy cooking. both are readily available here

if you are going to make pretzels look in to pretzel bread also.. awesome for sandwiches burgers and hot dogs

Edited by broden
typo
  • Like 3

angbumabasa

My German grandfather inherited his fathers 'bretzel bakery'. That's right. BRETZEL! Then he moved into German pastry. After he died, my father got all the recipes. Could not make any sense out of them. Used German-American terms that were neither German nor English. BUT, those damned 'BRETZELs" sure tasted good.

• Like 4

Enuff

My German grandfather inherited his fathers 'bretzel bakery'. That's right. BRETZEL! Then he moved into German pastry. After he died, my father got all the recipes. Could not make any sense out of them. Used German-American terms that were neither German nor English. BUT, those damned 'BRETZELs" sure tasted good.

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 3

Wolfpack

cooking is like many other things

once you get past the basic stuff, if you don't enjoy the process itself the outcome will never be enough fot the time and effort involved

just like some guys really like to tinker on their cars ( and can do it all day, stripping down entire engines and such)  where as some people absolutely do not and anything beyond getting gas or perhaps changing the battery is too much of a pain in the ass to bother with

we've made pretzels and pretzel bread cause we enjoy cooking. both are readily available here

if you are going to make pretzels look in to pretzel bread also.. awesome for sandwiches burgers and hot dogs

the most difficult thing, was getting the ingredients...thanks to towboat and his BB offer...we were able to get the key ingredients lacking in cebu...which is food grade lye, pretzel salt...and of course Gulden's mustard...

add the fact we used imported flour as well, also provided in that BB...

from start to finish this was a 7 month project...and if not for towboats offer...would have given up trying...

end result...amazing pretzels...worth the effort!!!

somebody took photos of them...when I find out who's facebook page they are on, I will upload them here...

• Like 2

broden

from start to finish this was a 7 month project.

when you get to making it again try it for other things.. like i mentioned.. bread.. even pizza

• Like 1

Dragonladies.org

How do  the Bavarian pretzels compare to the Philadelphia type?   Don't remember eating pretzels in Nordbayern, but like the PA type sometimes.

• Like 1

Wolfpack

How do  the Bavarian pretzels compare to the Philadelphia type?   Don't remember eating pretzels in Nordbayern, but like the PA type sometimes.

the Philly soft pretzel is something to eat when it is cold...the Bavarian Pretzel is best served warm...

the Bavarian Pretzel has a little more crunch to it than the Philly soft pretzel...

cvgtpc1

I'm fortunate in that I live in the center of many mom pop Oktoberfest celebrations here....and they always want to heat up my preztel but I tell them not too lol

Philly pretzels....I used to love flying Delta to Philly for business as they had a cart at the gate in the old concourse.

• Like 1