Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

BPI Kicked out of SM Malls

Headshot

Or it could be "  BPI decides not to compete with BDO on home turf".. Do you have any information that backs up your version ?   I couldnt find any to support either theory ]

All I have is that the BPI branch manager told me that SM had kicked all BPI branches out of their malls. She is going to be the branch manager at the new branch across the street, so I don't see how she would benefit by giving misinformation (since nobody lost their jobs). It is only the customers that are inconvenienced. I have to wonder if SM will also kick China Bank out as well...or does SM also own China Bank?

Raptor

the BPI branch manager told me

That makes it even less likely, chizmis and all that.

• Like 1

Headshot

That makes it even less likely, chizmis and all that.

Do you have better information?

No?

That's what I thought. If you have nothing positive to add, please don't bother to run other members' posts down.

billy

Wait until the SM Seaside Mall opens, and then ask that question again. Besides, I like Ace Hardware better than True Value Hardware. Nevertheless, not having cash on-hand can be a real inconvenience. Like Skywalker said, most ATMs take a BPI card without charging a fee, but it is still a hassle. Has anybody ever noticed how long the lines are at BDO ATMs? They need to clean up their own act, and then maybe they won't need to worry so much about the competition. And...yes...I did realize that BPI is owned by Ayala. I wonder if Ayala will follow up with the stupidity and ban BDO branches and ATMs? If international stores were allowed into the Philippines, the Filipino chains would soon go out of business. It's almost as if they are managed by a bunch of five-year-old spoiled brats. This is just too childish for belief.

Thats why there is no foreign competition. They wont allow it. I hope to see it in the future. The chinese wont allow it.

All I have is that the BPI branch manager told me that SM had kicked all BPI branches out of their malls. She is going to be the branch manager at the new branch across the street, so I don't see how she would benefit by giving misinformation (since nobody lost their jobs). It is only the customers that are inconvenienced. I have to wonder if SM will also kick China Bank out as well...or does SM also own China Bank?

Sm owns china bank

gchang

Not True!!!!! Smart is  in Ayala Mall take the elevator up to the top floor in Metro and then take the escalator to the 5th or 6 floor not sure what the floor is called 5 or 6 but a lot of the workers from Metro Gaisano eat up there. I went to there office one day to turn off my sim card till i found the cell phone then when back and had them turn it back on. But it is well hidden, and most people don't know its there .

Not really. The Smart office belongs to Gaisano; I'm not sure Gaisano owns the area, or if they are just leasing it from Ayala Center Cebu.

A_Simple_Man

All I have is that the BPI branch manager told me that SM had kicked all BPI branches out of their malls. She is going to be the branch manager at the new branch across the street,

So we are led to believe that you would walk the equivalent of many city blocks around and around inside SM mall but you are unable to walk across the street to get to a branch of your own bank?  Fascinating!  Tempest in a teapot it seems.

Headshot

It is just an example of how business is done in the Philippines. Businesses do not co-exist depending on high quality, low price and good service to draw customers. Instead, they try to drive their competitors away. The thing about having bank branches in a mall is that it is the most secure location you could choose to do your banking. Also, during the rainy season, walking across the street can be very uncomfortable. Even at other times of the year, crossing busy streets here can be hazardous to your health.

Chas

Chatting to a friend who works in the head office of a company with outlets in many SM and other malls about this. They told me every outlet in an SM mall is required to lodge a bond, typically 100,000 pesos, with the branch of BDO in that mall and all cash takings from outlets in SM malls must be banked through the branch of BDO in that mall.

Looks like SM is so big it has everybody else by the short and curlies.

Bill H

Putting the customer first isn't often a priority here!

You meant to say, "Is never the priority here."  Correct?

• Like 1

tonny

Good to a customer  haaaa Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase. Accordingly, it may vary by product, service, industry and individual customer. The perception of success of such interactions is dependent on employees "who can adjust themselves to the personality of the guest".(taken from Google)

1. I tried to buy some Philadelphia Cream Cheese  in Save More in Car Car  (Which is owned by SM i think),Took to the register no price in there system, Go back a few days later they have the price in the system so i buy ,get home open it wow not good.Take back with the receipt the next morning.,takes one hour and a half to get my money back, have to deal with the manager who tell me it not out of date and on and on, and why they would build it where the did on the other side of the circle in Car Car speaks volumes  for there thinking!!!!, maybe that's why the never have any customers in the place and you don't save more!!!!!  

That Masked Man

It is just an example of how business is done in the Philippines. Businesses do not co-exist depending on high quality, low price and good service to draw customers. Instead, they try to drive their competitors away.

What is wrong with that strategy? It seems pretty effective to me. Why would any business even consider "co-existence" when they can try to eliminate their competition?

• Like 2

That Masked Man

I was shocked and in total confusion the first time I entered BPI - because they're using CRT monitors! That's two decades ago! I wonder if they have to dig very deep from some grave or closed landfill to get those.

I have worked for some very large US companies involved in IT and the company I was with did not phase out their desktop CRTs until 2008-2010. As long as the old one's kept working they kept them. It has been 3 or 4 years since I have seen one in the US but it seems to me that the Philippines is at least 5 years behind on these things, even 2 or 3 years on mobile phones, despite having a HIGHER number of phones per citizen.

Headshot

I have worked for some very large US companies involved in IT and the company I was with did not phase out their desktop CRTs until 2008-2010. As long as the old one's kept working they kept them. It has been 3 or 4 years since I have seen one in the US but it seems to me that the Philippines is at least 5 years behind on these things, even 2 or 3 years on mobile phones, despite having a HIGHER number of phones per citizen.

I don't know why that would surprise anybody anyway. They still use carbon paper here for crying out loud. If you are living in the 1950's, CRTs seem like new-fangled technology.

enoonmai

Take back with the receipt the next morning.,takes one hour and a half to get my money back, have to deal with the manager who tell me it not out of date and on and on, and why they would build it where the did on the other side of the circle in Car Car speaks volumes for there thinking!!!!, maybe that's why the never have any customers in the place and you don't save more!!!!!

Well, if you lived south it would be more convenient so it's a matter of perspective. They seem to have about the same # of customers as the Gaisano Metro which is well north of the circle (and the Gaisano "Grande"). I don't think location is the problem as much as management apathy which is hardly unique to that store. Go into the Thinking Tools store there and buy the simplest thing. Takes them about 20 minutes to fill out forms before you're out. But it is kind of funny watching that whole thing turn into the clusterf*ck that it is with the McDonald's crammed into the corner. Ya gotta check the expiration dates on every single thing you buy. Newest wins.

That Masked Man

I don't know why that would surprise anybody anyway. They still use carbon paper here for crying out loud. If you are living in the 1950's, CRTs seem like new-fangled technology.

That's one I don't remember seeing, except at restaurants where the waiter/waitress may have one in the pad they use, kind of like checkbooks used to have, or a small store to make cheap duplicates of handwritten receipts. Outside of those, I didn't see any there and I have seen some of those in the US as well within the past few years, I did notice that in the office my fiancee was working at they had an old-fashioned typewriter, though I don't think they ever used it, and a fax machine which they used frequently. It was a little odd seeing a 1970s (I think) era typewriter next to very recent models (2010 or later) laser printer and LCD monitor.