Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

BPI Kicked out of SM Malls

Headshot

I don't know if any of anybody has noticed, but SM is kicking BPI out of its malls. SM owns BDO, and they don't want the competition, so all BPI branches and ATMs are being removed from their malls. As a BPI customer, I think this stinks. It makes getting money while in an SM mall more difficult for BPI customers. Maybe SM thinks this will cause BPI customers to switch over to BDO, but I think that it will just cause BPI customers to spend less money in SM malls. Make it harder to get money in your mall, and customers won't have the money to spend. Interestingly enough, BDO is about the only bank that charges BPI customers a fee to use their ATMs. For that reason, I stay away from BDO ATMs. BPI is opening branches close to SM malls, but the convenience of getting money from a BPI ATM or doing business in a BPI branch inside the mall will no longer be there.

• Like 5

Skywalker

As you know, BPI is owned by Ayala Group, so maybe SM are having a hissy fit.

I am also a customer of BPI, and often use other banks ATM's.  I guess I'll just have to plan more carefully if I go to SM.

It does seem to be rather petty though.  Putting the customer first isn't often a priority here!   :morn:

• Like 1

rep1

Why would you go to SM when you can go to Ayala? SM Home staffs are the worst I have seen and I'd never go there again.

Headshot

Why would you go to SM when you can go to Ayala? SM Home staffs are the worst I have seen and I'd never go there again.

Wait until the SM Seaside Mall opens, and then ask that question again. Besides, I like Ace Hardware better than True Value Hardware. Nevertheless, not having cash on-hand can be a real inconvenience. Like Skywalker said, most ATMs take a BPI card without charging a fee, but it is still a hassle. Has anybody ever noticed how long the lines are at BDO ATMs? They need to clean up their own act, and then maybe they won't need to worry so much about the competition. And...yes...I did realize that BPI is owned by Ayala. I wonder if Ayala will follow up with the stupidity and ban BDO branches and ATMs? If international stores were allowed into the Philippines, the Filipino chains would soon go out of business. It's almost as if they are managed by a bunch of five-year-old spoiled brats. This is just too childish for belief.

• Like 3

AussieLex

I hate SM in the city ... If I go to my doctor at Cebu Doctors I usually go to Ayala afterwards for some lunch ... maybe visit Metro or Rustan's before heading home to Talisay ... I try to not go into Cebu unless I really need to, hate the traffic, its bad enough here. I do like a quiet life... I am thinking of opening a local bank account soon so if anyone has any suggestions as to which is okay, I am Australian so might at some stage need to interact with my bank in Australia.

Opps sorry I don't  mean to hijack the thread ...

NOSOCALPINOY
It's really no big if all SM Malls do not allow BPI ATMs in their place of business. They are not the only mall in town. Besides, we have at least half a dozen BPI branches and ATMs within a 1/4 and or 3 mile away from where we live.

We carry enough cash for the day where ever we shop for anything and if we need to buy any large ticket items, we just use our BPI ATM debit card as long funds are adequate in our ATM accounts, since it's like paying cash anyway without being charged any service fees at any merchant's place of business that accepts RP BPI ATM debit cards. We only use our U.S. debit/credits if we have insufficient balances in our local BPI accounts. 

We have a new Ayala Mall just minutes away from where we live, so there's no reason to drive out of our way just to go to an SM Mall.

If all SM Malls or their corporate owners will be snobs about fair business practices, it's time to boycott their place of business so that they will get hint or their places of business will eventually loose paying customers. 

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Irenicus

It does seem to be rather petty though.

Seems to be a lot of that here.

Common and business sense here don't often walk hand in hand.

• Like 5

arentol

It's almost as if they are managed by a bunch of five-year-old spoiled brats. This is just too childish for belief.

Yep, you're spot-on. When you see how Filipino boys are raised, then it all makes sense. :)

Aren

• Like 4

Ozbrum

I hate SM in the city ... If I go to my doctor at Cebu Doctors I usually go to Ayala afterwards for some lunch ... maybe visit Metro or Rustan's before heading home to Talisay ... I try to not go into Cebu unless I really need to, hate the traffic, its bad enough here. I do like a quiet life... I am thinking of opening a local bank account soon so if anyone has any suggestions as to which is okay, I am Australian so might at some stage need to interact with my bank in Australia.

Opps sorry I don't  mean to hijack the thread ...

I have a citi  account in Oz, I use, but near impossible to open a citi account in Cebu unless a resident or on a special visa. It is easy and  convenient though to draw a few thousand from the Ayala Citi branch,by using my Oz debit card, there are no fees and charges.

I use an Ozzie company to send bulk money direct to my BPI account when needed....and have a debit card with that account, all this seems to work fine. 

Skywalker

SM Seaside is like an island on the SRP.

Are they seriously not going to allow BPI to have a presence there?

Paul

Yeah. BPI is probably cutting into their profit margin. :rolleyes: 

I mean, really. How much money do you need, to make you happy? 

• Like 1

senseless

Vote with your money and start going to Ayala. Anyway, Ayala malls are suprior in every way.

• Like 4

RogerDuMond

I don't know if any of anybody has noticed, but SM is kicking BPI out of its malls.

Another reason to switch to HSBC.

tonny

Well Ayala Mall does the same thing to China Bank, they don't let them have space in there mall, but ok in other malls. Now i am sure they may take action but BDO just go stuck on a bad blind corner at  Ayala Mall (they had a good spot before), but guess what the branch in Ayala stays open about one hour later at night,,,,,  than BPI branch's in Ayala guess they had a long lease so maybe they cant kick them out easy yet

Edited by tonny

rep1

Actually they should get rid of all local banks and invite Americans and our people to do it.

I was shocked and in total confusion the first time I entered BPI - because they're using CRT monitors! That's two decades ago! I wonder if they have to dig very deep from some grave or closed landfill to get those.