Carrying a DSLR openly, am I asking for trouble?

Wolfpack

Please tell me if I am being overly paranoid. I am packing and debating taking my DSLR with me, it's a moderately pricey body with a nice fast lens, so it essentially draws attention whenever and wherever I use it due to its size. I dont have any other camera to take aside from the one attached to my cell phone. I will be in Manila, Boracay, Cebu and Bohol. Am I asking for trouble as it pertains to possible theft or robbery? Here in the US I am so used to it carrying it openly, even in the depths of South Central Los Angeles but the Philippines, I am not to familiar with and I don't know what to expect at least when it comes to carrying around a pricey camera.

So, take it with me or leave it behind? What say you all?

I would have to say, depends on who you plan to be traveling with...

I would not want to put the responsibility of a damaged/stolen camera on a gf, wife or her family...

I personally like to relax when I am away from my home...

My first visit to Korea, my camera was stolen in a matter of hours...since that time, I do not travel with an expensive camera...

My wife worked in a photo studio when we met...her sister took over her job...during broad daylight, someone robbed the photo studio when her sister was working there...a theft demanding the expensive camera...and she handed it over to save her life...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• miles-high

• Agustin

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just take care of it and look after your stuff, as you would anywhere else while traveling.  Do NOT fall asleep with your bag beside you on a bus or in a van.

We went to many places in the Phil carrying a Nikon DSLR.  never had a problem once.  Many Iphones and Samsung 6 etc are worth more than my used Nikon was .  

Sorry, it must be an age thing But I first read your post as SLR    

Posted Images

musicman666

I would be far more worried in downtown la than anywhere in Cebu.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

get a good strap andjust be aware of your surroundings like you would be anywhere

and if you want to ask someone to take your picture for you

choose someone you are sure you can outrun  :D

Don't put your camera bag in the overhead on the bus when traveling.  That's how I lost my Cannon A-1 on a trip to Baguio.  Kept an eagle-eye on the bag the whole trip but when we arrived, the bag was empty.  Still don't know how they did it without me noticing.

Please tell me if I am being overly paranoid. I am packing and debating taking my DSLR with me, it's a moderately pricey body with a nice fast lens, so it essentially draws attention whenever and wherever I use it due to its size. I dont have any other camera to take aside from the one attached to my cell phone. I will be in Manila, Boracay, Cebu and Bohol. Am I asking for trouble as it pertains to possible theft or robbery? Here in the US I am so used to it carrying it openly, even in the depths of South Central Los Angeles but the Philippines, I am not to familiar with and I don't know what to expect at least when it comes to carrying around a pricey camera.

So, take it with me or leave it behind? What say you all?

I would insure it and bring it, but there are some things to be aware of. 

I spent a couple years in PH and often carried a camera around. My cameras were a nice Canon G10 (a very nice point and shoot) and a Canon D5 full frame dSLR including a battery grip extension, with a variety of lenses from 16mm f1.8 to a 300mm f4. This is a big setup. 

I ended up using the dSLR only when shooting things like landscapes or more formal shots. If you want to do some candid portraiture or street shooting having a big professional looking camera often not only catches the eye of the subjects but makes them behave differently than a less heavy duty photo journalist looking device. 

So it depends on what you're willing to cart around and what you want to shoot. 

Caveats are that of course MY dSLR is one of the larger and more obvious examples of the species; a lot of dSLRs are not full frame and often accept 'APC' lenses which are also much smaller. If that's what you're using then it wouldn't be as much an issue I suspect. 

Currently I still have the cameras above and still use them a bit, but I find myself using my Sony Alpha 6000 a lot more, particularly when travelling. It charges like a cell phone, so that's one less thing to carry, and while the image quality is excellent it's not a huge camera. I can literally just bring it and my cell phone craparatus and be good to go for most reasonable trips. Add a Japanese tourist style leather case for $30 and you're golden. 

The other cameras still have their place (although the G10 is almost retired) but for me the a6000 is a very happy middle ground. 

• Like 1

Sony Alpha 6000

Never really gave Sony a thought when buying a camera, but having just spent an hour reading reviews and comments from professionals and amateurs, wish I had bought one and not the canon I now have, thanks for buggering up my evening :snap:  :hi:

Never really gave Sony a thought when buying a camera, but having just spent an hour reading reviews and comments from professionals and amateurs, wish I had bought one and not the canon I now have, thanks for buggering up my evening :snap:  :hi:

I'm here for ya bro. ;)

Davaoeno

I just bought a camera a couple of days ago . I didnt get a DSLR because its size makes it too cumbersome to carry around all the time- and I can get almost as good a quality pics with some of the new non DSLRs .

I got this one:

Canon PowerShot G16 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD Video

by Canon

Price: CDN$ 452.88 FREE SHIPPING.

Only 5 left in stock.

Ships from and sold by ZooomElectronics.

11 new from CDN$ 452.88 3 used from CDN$ 380.00

• Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY
  • Upload virtually anywhere on your iOS or Android device with free download of the Canon Camera Window app
  • Capture breathtaking 1080p full HD video capture at 60fps and play back on an HDTV via the HDMI output
  • 12.1 megapixel high-sensitivity 1/1.7-inch CMOS sensor combined with the Canon DIGIC 6 image processor for outstanding low-light performance up to ISO 12800
  • 5x optical zoom (28mm-140mm) and a bright f/1.8(W) - f/2.8(T) lens enables you to capture more in your frame

post-8045-0-77243200-1444266318_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just bought a camera a couple of days ago . I didnt get a DSLR because its size makes it too cumbersome to carry around all the time- and I can get almost as good a quality pics with some of the new non DSLRs .

I got this one:

Canon PowerShot G16 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD 

That's an updated version of my G10 - really nice unit IMO. It's a bit handier than my a6000 but I do like the a6000 a bit more, and it can accept interchangeable lenses. 

• 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
  • ISO 100-25600 (expandable to 51200)
  • Hybrid AF with 179-point focal plane phase-detection and 25 contrast detect points
  • Up to 11 FPS continious shooting
  • 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,000 dots
  • OLED electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage and 1.4 million dots
  • Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
Bill H

​If you use just a modicum of common sense, I see no problems at all.  My wife carries a Canon pocket camera in her purse and most of the time it's all we need, so I stopped lugging my big Canon around, but it was more a convenience issue than a security one for me.  The one thing you do not want to do, is give your camera to someone you don't know so they can take your picture.  That is just asking to have your equipment stolen.  About the only place in the PH I would not take a camera of any kind would be the Binado in Manila.  Nothing is safe in the Binado, but oh are there good deals to be found there.

• Like 1

I lost one G10 by checking my backpack in a shop. Just say "has camera inside" or "has notebook" and they will let you inside unmolested 99% of the time. 

trthebees

I'd just add that being a hot and humid country, and sometimes dusty, if you walk up to some falls, or along the beach, it'll be a bit of extra baggage that you'll worry about. It's just light cool clothing here...no coats to sort of hide it in. And then would you be happy swimming in the sea or messing about in the rocks for a couple of hours.If you leave it in a hotel, you've got to trust the safe if there is one.

Now I rarely remember to take a camera anywhere, and mine's a simple Canon 210 which cost 25 pounds used but almost unused on Gumtree, and takes perfectly good pics for all my purposes...maybe except outdoor flash. I don't get past the auto setting...don't know what I'm doing and most pics are of family and need taking at that moment.

A suggestion would be to pick up a reasonably decent used pocket compact with enough adjustable features to make it interesting, and then make it a challenge to see just how good a picture can be taken.

• Like 1
miles-high

SONY cameras (at least the high-end models) are used to be called "Minolta" cameras/lenses until SONY bought the company...

miles-high

The one thing you do not want to do, is give your camera to someone you don't know so they can take your picture.

Yes, I wouldn't do that, if I were in Paris...

chris.corliss.37

Cebu / bohol. Not so much of a problem. But be particularly wary in Manila. But that being said if anything of value is being flaunted or an easy target you can get robbed anywhere in the world. Just keep in Mind that the average wage in Phils is $10/day. If you are openly showing the locals a $1000 camera then its bound to draw attention from undesirables