Carrying a DSLR openly, am I asking for trouble?

Please tell me if I am being overly paranoid. I am packing and debating taking my DSLR with me, it's a moderately pricey body with a nice fast lens, so it essentially draws attention whenever and wherever I use it due to its size. I dont have any other camera to take aside from the one attached to my cell phone. I will be in Manila, Boracay, Cebu and Bohol. Am I asking for trouble as it pertains to possible theft or robbery? Here in the US I am so used to it carrying it openly, even in the depths of South Central Los Angeles but the Philippines, I am not to familiar with and I don't know what to expect at least when it comes to carrying around a pricey camera.

So, take it with me or leave it behind? What say you all?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• miles-high

• Davaoeno

• rizla

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just take care of it and look after your stuff, as you would anywhere else while traveling.  Do NOT fall asleep with your bag beside you on a bus or in a van.

We went to many places in the Phil carrying a Nikon DSLR.  never had a problem once.  Many Iphones and Samsung 6 etc are worth more than my used Nikon was .  

Sorry, it must be an age thing But I first read your post as SLR    

Posted Images

So, take it with me or leave it behind? What say you all?

Just take care of it and look after your stuff, as you would anywhere else while traveling. 

Do NOT fall asleep with your bag beside you on a bus or in a van.

• Like 6
Alfred E. Neuman

Be aware of your surroundings, dont appear dorky.. Youll be safe.

Davaoeno

We went to many places in the Phil carrying a Nikon DSLR.  never had a problem once.  Many Iphones and Samsung 6 etc are worth more than my used Nikon was .  

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 5

Been carrying one to areas you mentioned...no issues what so ever. Heaps of other tourists do the same. Just be aware of your surroundings and do not leave it as an easy snatch.  You could lose it in any country u go if leave things unattended. Many opportunists around everywhere.

Edit: I should add. Your risk increases when the sun goes down..... and off course certain style of photographing will bring it`s own risks. 

Edited by Hy H
  • Like 1

I had my camera stolen from my hotel room in Calgary, so lets not assume that the Philippines is any worse than anywhere else! Just be careful and vigilant, as you would being a tourist in ANY country.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

It is much safer if you are not alone. If you are going to be with a Filipina, she will help watch over you.

• Like 2

I used to have a larger camera but rarely took it on trips. I found that the less expensive pocket sized cameras were adequate and had the advantage of fitting into a pocket, of of sight, out of mind. These can be bought fairly cheaply here if your travel budget allows the extra cost. I did like the features my larger camera had, but while traveling, most of my images were of the snapshot variety. Hence the smaller digital was adequate.

• Like 2
miles-high

I quite often carry a camera backpack containing about $10k worth of a Canon 5D Mk III, 3 L lenses, strobe and a GPS recorder for the pics... Although airlines are only public transportation I take in the Philippines, I have not notice anyone particularly interested in my gadets... Now my wife just bought a SONY 4K video/still GPS cam (similar in size to GoCam), that is the only one we are taking today to Manila and see if it's any good...

Edited by miles-high

I have carried a DSLR extensively in the places you mentioned without problem with the exception of Boracay. Never been to Boracay and no wish to go. I carry it out of sight in a shabby non branded rucksack when not in use.

Have it insured and if it goes get another. I also carry a small netbook and upload photos so if belongings go I still have the memories.

Relax, enjoy, be sensible and take some great photos. If kids shout at you to take their photo, don't!!!!

I am so used to it carrying it openly, even in the depths of South Central Los Angeles

That's the real jungle, Philippines won't give your camera any problems, as long as it's attached to you...

Irenicus

I quite often carry a camera backpack containing about $10k worth of a Canon 5D Mk III, 3 L lenses, strobe and a GPS recorder for the pics..

You must be really rich.

OP - photography is very popular amongst Filipinos, and you will often see them walking around taking photos themselves.

Like someone mentioned, though - I would get it insured.  It's not that much, and it provides some peace of mind.

RogerDat

Does insurance work in Philippines as in theft of gadgets?

contraman
I am packing and debating taking my DSLR with me

Sorry, it must be an age thing

But I first read your post as SLR   :yahoo:

SLR.jpg

Edited by contraman
  • Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I guess you havn't seen many Asian tourist yet in the Philippines... :biggrin_01:

tourist11.jpg

• Like 3