Have any banana trees?

Enuff

I saw this on FB, thought it was interesting.

Banana trunks are able to hold water thus a good idea to use them as containers. Cut out some holes as shown in photo, add soil, compost, etc. then plant your vegs.

43791492c1088f4cb08ea7f6af25ebdd.jpg

• Like 5

I looked at it too and considered it and showed it to the garden boss.Could easily do it but I'm a bit worried the banana stems would rot out too quickly. Maybe ok to get the seedlings going then transplant.

I also keep seeing these designs of using fish water to fertilize. I have now started to use dirty water when I clean the pool filter. Seems to be working ok but not sure if its as good as urea.

• Like 1
woodchopper

do u blokes use imported from ??????????,,,,soil?

or do u use the insitu soil of the concerned area?

do u blokes use imported from ??????????,,,,soil?

or do u use the insitu soil of the concerned area?

Use my own. Quality of the soil varies on my land. Mostly very heavy red clay like soil. Only the topsoil is black. If I want it lighter I mix with rice husk and leaves. Having success with raised beds. The insulated innards of a big ref sell for P100. Drainage holes and filled with soil there is more heat control. Too hot here just to stick newly potted stuff out. Has to go undercover for a while. Banana stem is really popular for feeding pigs. If you cut it down and don't use it somebody will soon ask for it.

• Like 1