Planning For Her Future - Without You

Many here are in a longer-term relationship with a Filipina. In most of these relationships, the male is the main provider and there are many years in age difference between the two people. The male will probably die many years before his partner.

For me, I will probably die within the next 15 to 20 years. My partner will probably live for another 30 or more years after I am gone.

Filipinos are not renowned for planning their future, so it is left up to the foreigner in the relationship to do so. What provisions are you making for your partner's well being after you die?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Davaoeno

• smokey

• davewe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You old guys might be surprised how quickly those young widows find a new partner.   Your legacy should be a debt free family home, and as much education as you can afford.   After you are gone, i

Citizenship in a better place.

i would say that indicates one should be more discerning when choosing a life partner.  there's an old saying..."if one goes looking in the dump they are going to find trash",  so perhaps some people

Posted Images

to_dave007

1. Education, and employment (hopefully as a teacher)

2. Property (even putting in special effort to get it titled properly)

3. Business

4. Spousal benefits to my pension

5. Citizenship in Canada or UK if she wants it (she doesn't really)

6. Two good sons to take care of their mom.

7. Teaching her how to manage a monthly budget

And lastly.. helping some of her siblings stand on their own two feet, so they don't simply lean on my wife after I'm gone.  And teaching my wife how to stand her ground when asked for money.

Edited by to_dave007

Another idea if you have the money, is to buy rental property and if not then maybe consider annuities bought over time, anything that pays in one lump sum might be gone quickly, rental property might get sold if you do not teach your lady how to live off the income but then comes family pressure, that may be totally unable to predict for many. 

Some rental property such as condos may be able to be bought on time payments but IMO the condo market is a bit oversaturated, so if you wish to go that route then maybe only buy a few inexpensive units in good locations near schools and colleges, unless you wish to put all your eggs in one basket of one more expensive place, you would then only have one to worry about but she might be better off with two or more cheaper units that hopefully would not all be empty at the same time, or some inexpensive row houses for rentals.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)

my wife has a good career

and she will get plenty of exercise dancing about on my grave

• Like 8
rainymike

I spend a lot of time showing her how to be independent. I've given her most of the responsibility for the family budget. Owning a home is entirely in her name and she is responsible for the purchasing, improvements, and maintenance. In addition to the home, she has responsibility for education of the kids.

I'm not surprised that with responsibility, she has developed better management skills - considering that she just has elementary school education. Of course, I did pick someone that I felt had natural smarts, leadership ability and grit. It's a long learning curve, but I feel the best way to provide for her and the kids is to show them the path to provide for themselves.

The training of all (including myself) is ongoing. We plan for the future by planning and living for today as smart as we can rather than waiting for something to mysteriously happen when I croak.

• Like 4
woodchopper

and she will get plenty of exercise dancing about on my grave

thats good excersize and she is probably a quite accomplished dancer,,or will be,,,,,,,,,,,, :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

How did all these adult women take care of themselves before we came along?

• Like 6
For Real

God's will provided for them.

• Like 6

What provisions are you making for your partner's well being after you die?

Heritage of land, the most valuable and lasting inheritance since civilization began, not just for the partner but the kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, you get the idea PIM.

to_dave007

Up until the time I married her I might have agreed with you.  But now that I HAVE married her, I would like to help her long after I'm gone.

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Up until the time I married her I might have agreed with you. But now that I HAVE married her, I would like to help her long after I'm gone.

I agree. I was responding to the OP which was referring to a GF.

• Like 2

Heritage of land, the most valuable and lasting inheritance since civilization began, not just for the partner but the kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, you get the idea PIM.

Yes, I get the idea.

I was wiped out financially about ten years ago - and I mean totally wiped out. Since then, I have managed to save enough so that I now do not have to work again. I still work because I enjoy my work. All my work is overseas (outside the Philippines).

Next year, one of my investments will mature that should give me about P1M to invest in my girl's future. My first thoughts are to get her a small lot (about 500sq.m) in her province and build a small basic low-maintenance house for her. While that is underway, I would like her to further her education and then get a job. With a home of her own, education and work experience, it will be much easier for her to live after I am gone.

Other comments here are also worthy of consideration, particularly about teaching her to be independent in life.

• Like 5
RogerDuMond

Many here are in a longer-term relationship with a Filipina. In most of these relationships, the male is the main provider and there are many years in age difference between the two people. The male will probably die many years before his partner.

For me, I will probably die within the next 15 to 20 years. My partner will probably live for another 30 or more years after I am gone.

Filipinos are not renowned for planning their future, so it is left up to the foreigner in the relationship to do so. What provisions are you making for your partner's well being after you die?

I am not worried in the least. Like Broden's wife, my wife also has a lucrative career in the US. She is contributing significantly to her matching 401k and maxing her IRA. She will have this house and mini farm plus she has purchased 7 other properties from people who needed to sell. The net worth that she has built from her own hard work outstrips anything I will be leaving to her.

I agree. I was responding to the OP which was referring to a GF.

Marriages are also long term relationships. I believe the OP was also talking about marriages, but just didn't want to cut out other types of relationships.

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Like 1
JackJohnson

I'm not married to a Filipina, nor am I living in Cebu.

But if I were in that position....the main thing I would do is send the woman to school so that she could

be independent and could survive easily when I'm gone.

Because I am not a trusting soul, I would never buy or build a house in the PI.