Quality of Philippines college/university?

Software engineers can self-learn everything since age of 7 or 8 and without academic training, since there is no deep theory and no need of expensive labs or any equipment other than a PC and Internet access.

This is an interesting theory (and one that I don't think I fully agree with). However, it has often been said that the best programmers are 16 yr old boys who have yet to discover sex (and yes, they generally learned how to program on their own). The trouble is, those same 16 yr old boys are equally capable of getting good computer science (type) degrees and establishing themselves in well paying careers. Sometimes they have natural abilities for both thinking and entrepreneurship and manage to create multi-billion dollar companies. If they don't have those natural thinking / entrepreneurial abilities, they are just good programmers - unless they are in a course that develops those skills.

It seems to me that you want the best of too many worlds. There's nothing wrong with being demanding, but you are competing with both other companies and the other career choices that are open to your preferred candidates. I have no idea what we pay, but the company I work for also recruits that type of person in the Philippines for application and IT infrastructure development / outsourcing. The handful of those types that I have met have been very capable, both technically and in their English skills (but I'll bet they did their schooling in Manila).

In my opinion, there are young folks "out there in the provinces" who are probably fully capable of doing the work you want done. However, they also probably have never had (and are never likely to get) the education and practical experience that you want them to have. This gives you at least two choices:

1. up the ante for recruits from the major municipal centers and the best schools
  2. develop your own cheaper candidates (ie modified selection / longer training etc) and let them work in cheaper locations
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rep1

• Paddy

• miles-high

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have a friend here that hires for the airlines, when he does he has two piles of applications, UP in one, everybody else in the other...if he cant get what he needs from the UP pile he might move to t

What is the difference between graduate and non graduate Pinoys? You can play scrabble with the graduates.

U.P. is the only real University.

Software engineers can self-learn everything since age of 7 or 8 and without academic training, since there is no deep theory and no need of expensive labs or any equipment other than a PC and Internet access.

This is an interesting theory (and one that I don't think I fully agree with). However, it has often been said that the best programmers are 16 yr old boys who have yet to discover sex (and yes, they generally learned how to program on their own). The trouble is, those same 16 yr old boys are equally capable of getting good computer science (type) degrees and establishing themselves in well paying careers. Sometimes they have natural abilities for both thinking and entrepreneurship and manage to create multi-billion dollar companies. If they don't have those natural thinking / entrepreneurial abilities, they are just good programmers - unless they are in a course that develops those skills.

It seems to me that you want the best of too many worlds. There's nothing wrong with being demanding, but you are competing with both other companies and the other career choices that are open to your preferred candidates. I have no idea what we pay, but the company I work for also recruits that type of person in the Philippines for application and IT infrastructure development / outsourcing. The handful of those types that I have met have been very capable, both technically and in their English skills (but I'll bet they did their schooling in Manila).

In my opinion, there are young folks "out there in the provinces" who are probably fully capable of doing the work you want done. However, they also probably have never had (and are never likely to get) the education and practical experience that you want them to have. This gives you at least two choices:

1. up the ante for recruits from the major municipal centers and the best schools
  2. develop your own cheaper candidates (ie modified selection / longer training etc) and let them work in cheaper locations

I have no idea why that double posted - must have been the wrong programming candidate! :)

Scotsbloke

Oh deary me.  I hope your company is writing nothing more important than games ;)

Do you think most software companies write anything more complex than games? Most of systems, including firmware in routers, GIS, accounting or banking related systems require very little of technical knowledge (one of reasons we don't want so-called experienced programmers here). The only ones requiring slightly deeper technical knowledge are things such as OS (= your Windows or Linux, but nothing beyond university education), web servers (not websites), or even video/music players - but these are not what the majority of programmers make.

In fact the engine of PC/console games is one of the most complex systems, requiring lots of knowledge never taught in university or higher education (not in books either), even though most of game developers only need to focus on creation of the contents.

these are not what the majority of programmers make

The majority of programmers make crap - poor performing, inefficient, inaccurate, poorly tested and buggy rubbish. They have little understanding of the tools they use, less understanding of the environment in which they use them and a woefully inadequate understanding of the purpose for which their code is written. 

The majority of programmers are like this because people like Bill Gates told them "anyone can program" and it is why programmers who are experienced AND demonstrably good get paid well.

• Like 1