Oven Problem

I only have a two-burner gas stove for cooking. I recently acquired a Coleman folding camp oven (P2k new) for use on top of a gas stove.

post-15658-0-42674800-1443414941_thumb.jpg

The concept is great although there is one problem. The heat coming from the bottom of the oven tends to burn the bottom of my baking before it has finished cooking.

My thoughts are to get something to place in the bottom of the oven to better heat the air in the oven in a more distributed way.

What are your thoughts of this?

I would prefer something that is available locally (Lapu Lapu City or Cebu metropolis) and not to expensive.

What's the inside look like..

maybe a sheet of stainless steel that's about a inch or so smaller in size and  have that sitting off the bottom at about a inch also,

so the theory would be the heat would rise at the outside ( where the inch gap is ), and less heat in the middle, since it would be acting as a heat shield to the middle ?

Nigel

I'm guessing that the floor of the oven is glowing red hot and so burning the bottom of whatever you're cooking.

Try a thick lid from a local cast aluminum pot or similar to diffuse that radiant heat.

A thin ceramic floor tile might work too and be great for cooking pizza

Can I ask where you purchased the gas toaster?  post-4822-0-49852900-1443417859_thumb.jpg

KonC

• Like 2

I'm guessing that the floor of the oven is glowing red hot and so burning the bottom of whatever you're cooking.

Try a thick lid from a local cast aluminum pot or similar to diffuse that radiant heat.

A thin ceramic floor tile might work too and be great for cooking pizza

Can I ask where you purchased the gas toaster?  attachicon.gifMWSnap035.jpg

KonC

It's not a gas toaster, it is a small oven that sits on top of a gas burner.

As Kenny stated, create some way of making it radiant heat, instead of the burner going directly into the oven. A cast iron griddle would work good, or just a piece of steel plate or as was suggested a tile...  Put the tile on the burner and the oven on top of it.

Edit: Ah I see now :pardon:

Edited by shadow

The toaster was purchased at Boating, Fishing & Camping in Australia. From memory, it was about P250. Replacement stainless steel gausses are about P150 each. I gave up trying to find one available in the Philippines.

I use mine daily and the gauss lasts about 6 months with careful use.

If you want one, let me know. It looks like I'll have to go to Australia in November for a couple of weeks.

I sniffed around on Google and came up with THIS site which I'm sure will interest you.

KonC

The inside bottom looks like this:

post-15658-0-19141000-1443419352_thumb.jpg

and the outside bottom looks like this:

post-15658-0-83398800-1443419378_thumb.jpg

The oven overall is about 300mm x 300mm x 300mm.

It sounds as though a heavy metal plate about 250mm x 250mm positioned 5mm to 10mm off the bottom inside the oven might help solve my problem.

I'll try first with 5mm thick mild steel (cheap and easy to get. If that works, I'll look at something a bit cleaner, like stainless steel.

Edited by PIM
  • Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

i'm not sure about your space and budget limitations but if you plan to do any steady baking you may take a look at the combo oven-stove units for sale in most larger malls.  we have a white-westinghouse oven with 3 burner stove top we bought downtown at the new gaisano and it was only around 9k complete.  it's free-standing and resembles a typical American style oven and stove top unit and works great.  my wife constantly bakes and she has no complaints so in the long run maybe you should consider getting one? it's not all that big and fairly easy to transport if you move.  when we bought this one we were able to stick the whole thing into the back seat of our small honda city to bring it home.  

• Like 2

I sniffed around on Google and came up with THIS site which I'm sure will interest you.

KonC

Thanks Kenny (and Jawny). I am aware of that site and have previously read it.

One of the reasons I got the oven was to start making my own bead that is not loaded with sugar like they sell in the Philippines.

Edited by PIM

i'm not sure about your space and budget limitations but if you plan to do any steady baking you may take a look at the combo oven-stove units for sale in most larger malls.  we have a white-westinghouse oven with 3 burner stove top we bought downtown at the new gaisano and it was only around 9k complete.  it's free-standing and resembles a typical American style oven and stove top unit and works great.  my wife constantly bakes and she has no complaints so in the long run maybe you should consider getting one? it's not all that big and fairly easy to transport if you move.  when we bought this one we were able to stick the whole thing into the back seat of our small honda city to bring it home.  

Unfortunately, my kitchen is not that big nor my budget free enough to warrant such a purchase for something that I would only use a few times each month.

jtmwatchbiz

Thanks Kenny. I am aware of that site and have previously read it.

One of the reasons I got the oven was to start making my own bead that is not loaded with sugar like they sell in the Philippines.

bread?  you need to swing by our house and team up with my wife in the kitchen as she is always baking bread and making home made pizza.   i do think you need to consider picking up a more refined oven tho. 

I've had a lot of success with those little electric  mini ovens you see everywhere.

Just make sure you get one that is thermostat controlled.

I stopped making my own bread because other foreigners were baking and selling good stuff here on Camiguin.

KonC

jtmwatchbiz

Unfortunately, my kitchen is not that big nor my budget free enough to warrant such a purchase for something that I would only use a few times each month.

gotcha.  we figured the cost was ok in our situation as she uses the oven constantly and won't limit her cooking capabilities to only stove top stuff.  baked chickens and pork roasts are at least once a week along with casseroles, lasagnas and other fun stuff along with breads and deserts.

would it be possible for you to put such a cooking unit outside your kitchen in say a laundry area?

Looking at that picture it looks like the floor is a deflector plate.. Probably the reason it aint working too good is its too thin..Like others have said put a thick tile on the top of it..Even two thick tiles,one on top of the other to create a more efficient heat sinc..I reckon that will work good.. 

Edited by fred42