Pro surfer survive bashing by locals at Philippines surfing event.

Gold Coast pro surfer lucky to survive bashing by locals at Philippines surfing event

Brent Symes, Tweed Heads big wave surfer, has been bashed during a WSL event in the Philippines.

A GOLD Coast professional surfer narrowly escaped with his life in the Philippines after being bashed in the surf by five men before a World Surfing League event.

Brent Symes, 36, of Tweed Heads, was brutally attacked in knee-deep water by locals wielding bats and bottles after he accidentally drifted too close to their surf break on Monday while watching trials ahead of the Siargao Cloud 9 Surfing Cup from the water.

Filipino police yesterday confirmed the five locals were now in custody and facing charges of

attempted murder.

Gold Coast pro surfer Brent Symes.

“I thought I was going to die,” the father-of-one said yesterday from Siargao.

“I have been locked inside my room for three full days, scared they’re going to come after me.

“During this attack I was assaulted physically and had my surfboard destroyed and also had many cuts on my feet from defending myself in the water.

“I believe I did nothing wrong and the incident was a misunderstanding by local radicals.”

Mr Symes, known among surfers as “Red Dog”, had been competing in the event and had gone through his first heat.

Brent Symes in action.

He was watching from his board in a spectator area when he drifted into the competition zone.

“I was granted permission to be a water spectator during the final heat of the trials,” he said.

“During this heat I found myself out of position and caught an inside wave to reposition out of the way of competitors.

“Soon after, hearing something on the PA, I decided to come into shore and exit the break.

“Upon my return to the beach I was mauled by local guys with bats and bottles and had to defend myself until I could safely exit the situation.

“This is attempted murder — I’m in shock.

An image showing Brent Symes being attacked.post-7853-0-28461500-1443251108_thumb.jpg

“In all my years of surfing I’ve never experienced this before.”

The WSL yesterday confirmed it was aware of the incident and was in talks with local authorities to determine how the violence unfolded.

Mr Symes, who moved to the Gold Coast from Port Macquarie 12 years ago, was provided with a fulltime security guard after three days so he could safely travel around the city.

The WSL said it was taking precautions against further violence.

“The WSL is aware of an incident regarding one of its competitors involved in an altercation that occurred during the non-sanctioned local trials ahead of our Philippines event,” a WSL spokesman said.

Another of the images showing Brent Symes being bashed.post-7853-0-01611100-1443251132_thumb.jpg

“The league is currently in discussion with the athlete, local authorities and event organisers to remedy the situation as safely and as soon as possible.”

Surfing insiders said the WSL would want to be separated from the incident.

The Philippines is a notoriously dangerous country, with recent abductions of three Westerners and a Filipino woman from a southern Philippine resort the latest reminder of long-running security problems that have hounded a region of stark poverty.

Edited by Hy H
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• JamesMusslewhite

• woodchopper

• oztony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Texas we refer to it as an attitude adjustment.   I have lived in the Surigao City, Dinagat Island and Siargao Island area for 7 years now. In all that time I have had no problems with the locals

Absolute fecking disgrace , did he molest somebody? Even if he is an asshole the behaviour by the locals was worse than whatever he done ,  What bats and bottles? as a get even move , please , a very

Why to people keep referring to it as a "fight"?   It was not a fight.   They wanted the guy removed and they removed him. (if it was in America the six armed cops would have probably put a dozen

Posted Images

Davaoeno

Now maybe you guys will take seriously the death threats made by Endless Summer and her pack of rabid  surfers.  I think too much exposure to salt water causes a chemical imbalance in surfers leading to very aggressive tendencies. 

Apparently Endless Summer had too much surfer in her . 

• Like 3
BossHog

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/competitor-beaten-with-bats-at-wqs-event-in-the-philippines/

"Certainly, if it went down as Symes claims, it was the shittiest of shitty situations. Being in a foreign country and upsetting the locals via a misunderstanding is bad enough, but upsetting them badly enough to get beaten with bats and bottles in front of 300 people is much worse.

After speaking with Brent and his wife, I looked around the internet to see if I could find any other reports. The folks over at Surfing Life spoke to “a well-known and respected local” named Dencio Dizon. He told quite a different story.

“Before the start of the final heat, there was a half hour break,” he told Surfing Life. “As expected, free surfers rushed into Cloud 9, as the waves were three-to-five feet and barreling. When the final heat was about to start, the four finalists were paddling out, and all free surfers were called to paddle in or move to another break a few hundred meters away. Everyone complied right away, except for Brent Symes. Despite repeated warnings and calls by the contest officials, he just ignored them and stayed out at Cloud 9. He even took three waves during the middle of the heat! He was in the line up with the four finalists, taking waves!”

But as Brent says, the whole thing could have been a misunderstanding. It is notoriously hard for surfers in the lineup to hear the PA system, let along people on the beach. And it just got worse when Symes caught a wave in.

“When he took another wave,” Dizon continued, “he wiped out and his board flew away, as he wasn’t wearing a leg rope. That sparked a few local boys to jump in the water, running after him and his board. A few punches were thrown and his board ended up broken. Needless to say, he got what he deserved. Or in my opinion, he got lucky, because he probably deserved more after hearing of his reputation. This same guy was also here last year, and he got disqualified after two interferences in his heat. ”

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 7
Headshot

Mindanao is kinda rough around the edges, eh?

:scratch_head: :scratch_head: :scratch_head: 

I guess its a fair fight that 5 guys with bats and bottles attacked him.......

• Like 1
Headshot

I guess its a fair fight that 5 guys with bats and bottles attacked him.......

Whoever said that fights have to be fair? I think they were telling him he was no longer welcome in town, and it appears that he got the message.

• Like 3

Absolute fecking disgrace , did he molest somebody? Even if he is an asshole the behaviour by the locals was worse than whatever he done , 

What bats and bottles? as a get even move , please , a very bad advertisement for the Philippines and how they deal with a situation that should/could be dealt with in a much better way.

Even if the guy is a prick they just slid below his level.

• Like 9

The Philippines is a notoriously dangerous country, with recent abductions of three Westerners and a Filipino woman from a southern Philippine resort the latest reminder of long-running security problems that have hounded a region of stark poverty.

I'm sure the Philippine Department of Tourism loves stuff like this!

Aren

• Like 4

Everything will be ok......Once the event is over the 5 suspects will miraculously be let go...just a simple misunderstanding

A_Simple_Man

Yes, its a disgrace.  You'd never see 5 rednecks in "another country" taking baseball bats to a guy just because he was an immigrant or a different color or something.   

• Like 7

Yes, its a disgrace.  You'd never see 5 rednecks in "another country" taking baseball bats to a guy just because he was an immigrant or a different color or something.   

At a surf event in front the public and family's it is a disgrace , so if that comment was a defence of their actions , pity , and I doubt that you would see that behaviour at another surf event ,

A pack attack , not one on one , get some perspective bro....

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Which country would you be refering to?