RA 7610: How the Courts Have Interpreted the Law

It's still a shitty law poorly written by people who were most likely most interested in presenting it as a way to loosen foreign purse strings.

I would expect that more than 99% of the people arrested under RA 7610 in this country are Filipino.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Tullioz

• smokey

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tl;dr   When Mrs was growing up, she and her sister were kept in line by fear of being beaten.  Out in the provinces, far from malacanang that's still the way it works.  Kids need discipline!  They

1. because the petitioner lost his reason and self-control, thereby diminishing the exercise of his will power.     Similar to the old common law defence of " irresistable impulse".   I dont think any

How could you possibly expect a link for an opinion?

Posted Images

That Masked Man

Sadly, that does not always work. Both of my parents were teachers. I grew up surrounded by books and what educational games existed back then. I was reading by the time I was 3. And yet I still got spanked. Sometimes I even deserved it. 

OTOH it is not the little kids that worry me. Teenagers who know their parents have no recourse can become violent and dangerous, especially when the legal system also has little to no ability to punish or restrain them. Laws "protecting" them is how the US ended up with so many teenage killers. The law does nothing until the crimes get very serious and then smacks them down hard out of the blue, which is of course the exact opposite of how you want to handle them. I hate to see this happening in the Philippines.

I would expect that more than 99% of the people arrested under RA 7610 in this country are Filipino.

I would really doubt that. 90% or 95% sure because Filipinos naturally outnuimber foreigners there. But 99% would surprise me.

RogerDuMond

:link:

• Like 3

I would really doubt that. 90% or 95% sure because Filipinos naturally outnuimber foreigners there. But 99% would surprise me.

It has to be much higher than 90-95% just based on the actual times we hear of a foreigner being arrested under this law. I think it is safe to say that the media here covers just about every case of a foreigner being arrested for anything that involves a minor. There may be one or two that slips by, but people on this forum are good at catching these kind of things. On average I would say we hear a story about once every month or so. Let's say there were 10 cases in the past year. At 90% that would mean that only 100 people in the entire country have been arrested under this law in the past year. There is just no way the numbers are that low considering the population of the country. I would even go as far as to say that the number of Filipinos arrested under this law would be closer to 99.5% as opposed to 95%. Unfortunately it is hard to prove one way or the other since there is not a data base that keeps track of these things nationwide. At least I am not aware of one that's available anyway.

Edited by Tullioz

I would never expect a link for an uninformed opinion.

Davaoeno

I would never expect a link for an uninformed opinion.

And I suppose you suggest that we let YOU decide which opinions are informed and which are uninformed ??

• Like 1

Harry, maybe someday there will be some utopia where parents have sufficient income for at least one to stay home and where they have time to get at least a minor in child psychology and there's enough money to provide proper educational materials and all that BEFORE they start to have children.  Until that utopia is reached, spanking works ok and I personally consider any study that says otherwise to be pure bullocks.  btw, You said "hit them"  I would never advocate hitting a child.  Only spanking.

• Like 1

And I suppose you suggest that we let YOU decide which opinions are informed and which are uninformed ??

Tell us all the difference between an informed opinion and an uninformed opinion and your question will answer itself.

the way the court works here is both sides state their case and the judge says yea or na... not happy with what he said fine try the court of appeals ... still not happy try the supreme courts  do note this process could take 15 years or more

well gee lets see number of locals living here 100,000.000  number of western foreigners 50,000  gee what are the odds one group will be arrested more

• Like 1

Some old data on page 70

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/CRC/StudyViolenceChildren/Responses/Philippines.pdf

52.Provide the total number of reported cases of violence against children in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Now all we need is the number of foreigners arrested during that time and we could get an exact percentage. 

well gee lets see number of locals living here 100,000.000  number of western foreigners 50,000  gee what are the odds one group will be arrested more

That is not the point. Many here believe that this law was written to target foreigners. If only a dozen or so are getting arrested each year that is proof enough that it is not. There are actually close to 200,000 foreigners living full time in the Philippines and more than 4 million visit each year. 

Let's say the number of foreigners arrested each year under RA 7610 is 25 (Probably too high). That would make 0.00001% of foreigners arrested under this law in a given year.

Now based on the figures posted earlier there are about 10,000 cases on average per year that involve violence against children (Which would include crimes committed under RA 7610). Let's again assume that 25 of those crimes in a year were committed by foreigners. That leaves 9,975 committed by Filipinos. There are around 70,000,000 Filipinos over the age of 18. So the percentage of Filipinos being arrested under for violence against children would be around 0.00014% 

While the above calculations are no where near exact and only my personal assumptions, it still shows that Filipinos are more likely than foreigners to be arrested for violence against a child based on the number of news reports we see and the number of actual crimes committed. Some stories may go unreported, but most probably are since news of foreigners breaking the law sells more papers.

My math has been proven to be not so good in the past, so somebody may want to double check my figures if they seem off.  

Edited by Tullioz