Long Distance Relationship

That is a long wait. Women get lonely. I have dated multiple "good girls" with boyfriends that only visit them once or twice per year. Sometimes they will even pay for both of us to go out with money he sent.

Its not certain to happen to you, but one more thing to consider.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bassix

• cebulover2000

• broden

• to_dave007

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my wife came over to the states got a walmart job continued her education now she is in hospital administration and makes alone more than what we use to make together, once she surpassed our old incom

I agree 100% with leaving her in the Philippines, same situation for me.    My wife has been surrounded by her family her entire life and never left her home or family for more than 2 days except fo

while it may seem daunting. even a bit scary to her at first (moving across the world to an unknown place with no family is for people from all over the globe) filipinos are incredibly adaptive 

Posted Images

Only you can decide but in my opinion you have not yet made up your mind about this girl because if you had cold winter would not stop you from having her by your side.

It really is a leap of faith when your ready and nothing you hear in this forum is really going to help you make that decision. 

• Like 2

I have a good friend from Canada who met a lovely lady in Cebu City and they are in Canada for years now and they seem very happily married and now have 3 adorable children. Last year they came down to visit us in Florida and the interaction between them was such a pleasure to watch. Life is not just about where you live, it is more about how much you can show each other your love. IMHO bring her to Canada, there will always be time to move to the Philippines down the road or you can visit yearly like we do.

• Like 3

My Filipina EX and 2 sisters are all happy living in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area now. Probably similar winters as much of Canada away from the coasts.

Personally i couldn't do that, would live anywhere long as we are together & my gal feels the same way, and it made sense financially for us to have her to come & live with me.

I know of a girl doing the long distance thing, he keeps promising to marry her,take her to his country, rarely visits, her whole family is concerned. I feel sorry for her, young girl letting her youth & life go by in wait for her man who could be very well be full of shit, how stressful.

Not saying you are in the sutuation above, but 10 years is a long time & that could feel like a prison sentence if you are seperated from the one you love.

Edited by I <3 Cebu

According to Immigration Canada, an application for permanent residence for a spouse or common law partner will take 56 days for the sponsor to be assessed and 16 months for the applicant to be assessed (assuming the application is complete and all documents are in order). 

At this point, the OP is not (yet) married and has known the potential applicant for 1 year with total time together of 1 week. Establishing a common law partner relationship is unlikely just yet (I don't know for sure but I assume the government will expect evidence of living together for at least a 1 year period).

So, for a spouse, the estimated time to get the appropriate visa is 18 months. 

Getting married immediately is perhaps not the smartest move in this case. The other visa alternatives are work permits and tourist visas. 

Getting a tourist visa for a filipina is not easy. In addition to valid passport and proof of financial capability to support themself in Canada, there is a requirement that the applicant must demonstrate the probability that they will return to their own country. Unfortunately, nowhere does Immigration Canada define how that requirement can be satisfied. Evidence of a good job/income, real property and assets are among the potential ways of doing it. A letter of invitation from the OP - in and of itself - is not guaranteed to do it. The anecdotal method spoken of by various friends and acquaintances in Masbate suggests a healthy bank balance (>PHP100k) works. 

Work permits are equally difficult. Filipina friends of mine in Canada say it is easier to get a Canadian work permit if they have been employed as an OFW in some other country first (unless of course they have a particular skill or qualification that the government is looking for).

There is also a student visa - assuming the lady can qualify for an appropriate institution and the OP is prepared to pay the tuition etc.

In all these visa cases, the particular situation of the OP and his lady would need to be considered but, in my opinion, he will not be bringing his lady to Canada any time soon and, if it is a tourist visa, she will likely only be here for a maximum of 6 months at any one time.

I believe that the OP has plenty of time to discuss living in Canada and finding out, for sure, if the lady is going to be OK in Canada. She probably will be. As someone else said, Filipinas are highly adaptable and willing to go to the ends of the earth for their man plus there are Filipino communities in many towns (not just the big cities) all across Canada. 

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 2

Tons of Filipinas in Winnepeg. Thay seem pretty happy there and it's friggen cold in winter there.

• Like 1

As previously stated there are alot of pinays in Canada. She will love the snow, the cleanliness and alot more. Just assure her she is not trapped.

• Like 1
For Real

"You are probably wondering why I don't take her back to Canada. Well I have several reason, the main reason is I don't think she would be happy here and would be lonely. The winters are darn cold and you really are confined to the indoors. Yes we have a Summer too but trust me the winter's are long. I also don't want to pull her away from her family and friends which are the closest things to her."

"Am I being completely out to lunch on this and could this work? Are any of you doing this?"

Lots of us have managed LDR's, a lesser number have managed it well.

Question 1: How keen are you to start a serious relationship with this woman? If she is just a distraction from your everyday world or an investment for the future then that's not fair of you to take her off the market.

Question 2: What can you do to relocate to an intermediate country? I only lost money working and business owning in the Philippines but made a shit load in nearby countries.

What you are suggesting is very doable provided both parties want to do it. Things go bad when one partner finds an easier means to satisfy their needs.

• Like 2

I would not have a LDR , the mental energy and turmoil will detract from your responsibilities at home. I would take a real hard look a t where you money goes at the moment and you my find the reality of retiring early are possible.

The issue with having a young filipina is she will mature and change over the 10 years until you retire and probably not the way you would like.

I live with my filipina in Cebu and yet the amount of chisma from her own family and "friends" that could potentially separate us is terrible. Just little snid comments that are told to her that have a snowball effect. While you are away, so many of the local gossips will tell your gf that you have a gf in Canada. Seen it happen. Of coarse , many women in the western world do the same thing.

I had a LDR with a chick in Mexico for two years . I saw her most every month for 4 days. . When I finally retired it took about 2 months for facade to fade and the real woman be exposed.

NOSOCALPINOY

Some Filipinas don't mature quick enough! Take my wife for example, we had a 6 yr

long distance courtship (no hanky panky in those 6 yrs) before we got married.

I met my wife through relatives when she was 18 yrs old and I was 33 yrs of age.

We got married in the Philippines when she was 24 and I at 39. We've now been

married 27 years and been retired here in the Philippines since 1998, where's she's

now a dual citizen and I a permanent resident. Life is good!   

• Like 4

Hi All,

Just got back from Cebu from a wonderful one week trip meeting my girlfriend for the first time. Cebu is such a nice place to visit as was Bohol. This is my first post here so try to go easy on me :db:

Ok here goes. I have been in an long distance relationship with my girlfriend for a year now. We met on a Christian dating site. We get along very well and chat two times a day on messenger and a few times a week on Skype. She is very respectful and affectionate. An all around really nice girl. I met her family when I was there and visited her sari-sari store. This is how she makes her living 7 days per week.

I am divorced and I am looking to move on with my life. I was gutted financially by my ex wife and am really now gun shy of ever dating or marrying a western girl again. This is the reason I started my search for a girl from south east Asia and the Philippines especially, since I had heard how family oriented they are and how they take their relationships seriously and love their man. I spent a lot of time sifting through the money grabbers and liars on-line so I'm pretty sure I have done my homework.

Because I am still relatively young, 44, and still working full time and have dependents, I can not make the commitment to move to Cebu full time right now. I have kids to support and a spousal payments to make so this rules me out for being financially able to make the move at least for the next while unless of course I could make a living there, making the salary I make now, which is 99.99% unlikely.

My question is this, should I continue to have a long distance relationship with this girl if I am not physically there especially if we decide to get married? We have talked about this and we have agreed to continue our relationship from afar. My plan is to go to visit every 6 months until I am able to live there permanently. Unfortunately this could take ten years.

You are probably wondering why I don't take her back to Canada. Well I have several reason, the main reason is I don't think she would be happy here and would be lonely. The winters are darn cold and you really are confined to the indoors. Yes we have a Summer too but trust me the winter's are long. I also don't want to pull her away from her family and friends which are the closest things to her.

Am I being completely out to lunch on this and could this work? Are any of you doing this?

I brought my wife and kids to the Northwest (U.S. K-1 k-2 visa), rural area, and it is cold here too.  No major issues adjusting and discovered there were many Filipinos I didn't know that lived in some of the small towns around us. (Within 25 miles)  Now when I mentioned to her that we should retire in the Philippines, she looked me square in the eye and said "Mahal, I do not want to go back to the Philippines".  This will be my anchor house unless I move to Florida and my vacation house will be somewhere in dangerous Mindinao :)

I would not leave my girlfriend or wife in another country while I am in a different country for an extended period of time = problems and possible divorce.  Did that once already and it didn't work.

For Real

Some Filipinas don't mature quick enough! Take my wife for example, we had a 6 yr

long distance courtship (no hanky panky in those 6 yrs) before we got married.

I met my wife through relatives when she was 18 yrs old and I was 33 yrs of age.

We got married in the Philippines when she was 24 and I at 39. We've now been

married 27 years and been retired here in the Philippines since 1998, where's she's

now a dual citizen and I a permanent resident. Life is good!   

Was it your wife's immaturity or your personality that really drove the lengthy abstinence? LOL

Very long time indeed.

Glad you are happy now.