Ransom Time Again - Mindanao Kidnapping

I think they would, and probably a pretty good shot too!

its not how good you can shoot its how many extra clips you carry

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• woodchopper

• colemanlee

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I know that I am constantly proven wrong by living in a safe and beautiful area on Mindanao for the last 7 years, I am so convoluted and delusional because I have not listened to those who have ne

We have a trip planned to Samal Island next  Sunday.  After this happened my wife said " I guess we arent going to Samal on Sunday now ? "  My reply to her " of course we are going- because i can guar

Careful, you're gonna get the Mindanao posse all riled up! They claim Davao City is the safest place in the Philippines and Samal Island is right under Hoss Duterte's nose. This can't be happening,

Posted Images

colemanlee

Here's what the sailing press has to say about the kidnappings:

Thanks, thats the first good reporting on the kidnapping .....

Headshot

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2015-09-22

It doesn't sound like they had their security guards in the right places. They probably never considered an attack from the sea. The fact that one of the men kidnapped is connected to the family that owns the marina is interesting.

• Like 1

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2015-09-22

An accurate report.

I know that the Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad owns the yacht Wiskun and was managing the Marina.

It is true that his wife (who died in 2012) was related to to the owners of Ocean View Resort, the RoRo ferries, the Marina and several other businesses. They are a wealthy ethnic Chinese family.

I met Kjartan and his wife Ellen several years ago when I had my yacht on one of the Resort moorings and also berthed on their slip for repairs.

Kjartan is a very competent and resourceful man. He was managing the slip when I was there.

They were a very pleasant and helpful couple and so was the Resort management. They provided many facilities free-of-charge and treated their employees well.

I hope that the hostages can get out of their situation unharmed.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 5

Thanks, thats the first good reporting on the kidnapping .....

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion?

The first paragraph states- American cruiser Steven Tripp and his Japanese wife Kazuko Shibata-Tripp of the boat Outstripp appeared to be the original targets of the kidnappers.

Then - One witness said that the kidnappers didn’t appear to be targeting anyone in particular, rather just going after the first and easiest targets.

colemanlee

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion?

I dont suppose you have read the reports generated by Filipinos?  Compared to that its stellar...btw two different witnesses often see different things

I dont suppose you have read the reports generated by Filipinos?  Compared to that its stellar...btw two different witnesses often see different things

Ive read them all and come to the same conclusion that i still haven't read a stellar report

Edited by maximian

I hope that the hostages can get out of their situation unharmed.

I am holding out hope for their safe release as well. Unfortunately since it has been almost 48 hours without a claim of responsibility, it looks more like that they will end up in the hands of a group like the Abu Sayyaf. 

Edited by Tullioz
Davaoeno

They probably never considered an attack from the sea.

No one attacks a place on a small island with only one main road unless you attack from the sea.  Anything else would be ridiculous . 

colemanlee

No one attacks a place on a small island with only one main road unless you attack from the sea.  Anything else would be ridiculous . 

Just curious again, as you live in Davao, Ive always been told that the island was perfectly safe and was a great place to visit...but that was a few (5) years ago...whats changed in the last few years?

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Just curious again, as you live in Davao, Ive always been told that the island was perfectly safe and was a great place to visit...but that was a few (5) years ago...whats changed in the last few years?

As far as I am concerned nothing changed. I go there all the time and would never hesitate go go there.  It is a laid back place with some nice resorts but otherwise not much to do .  As i posted earlier we will take the family there on Sunday.  I am interested in buying some land there to build a rest house on . I would build a house there to live on if there were better medical and school  facilities .  The only way onto and off the island is by a car ferry [ about 10 minutes from Davao City ] or by private boat.   

Fortunately for Duterte's reputation it is in Davao del Norte and not in Davao del Sur [ where Davao City is located].   Most people think of it as being part of Davao City because of its proximity - but it isnt, That isnt a strange thing to think since Davao City takes several hours to cross from end to end ! 

So - to answer the question " whats changed in the last few years?"   Not a thing. 

• Like 5

Pretty vague statement, what exactly are you referring to?

Well most recently the Mamasapano Incident and before that the 2012 drone strike in Julu to name a couple. There are a lot of people and activists who view those types of actions as violating the sovereignty of the Philippines.  

colemanlee

Well most recently the Mamasapano Incident and before that the 2012 drone strike in Julu to name a couple. There are a lot of people and activists who view those types of actions as violating the sovereignty of the Philippines.  

Other than vaguely written articles that reference other vaguely written articles...do you have proof of involvement that would violate the sovereignty of the Philippines?

• Like 2
Let's hope this article below does not turn out to be true. 

Samal kidnap victims brought to Sulu - military source

Manila, Philippines - An intelligence source in the military indicated on Thursday that the three foreigners and Filipino woman who were abducted from a resort on Samal Island, Davao del Norte appear to have been taken straight to Sulu by their kidnappers.

The abduction happened on Monday night.

According to a message from the source who belongs to an intelligence unit, the information at hand, which was classified as "for verification", indicated a "white speedboat had docked at Barangay Kaunayan, Patikul, Sulu" around 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 22.

Canadians John Ridsdel, 68, and Robert Hall, Hall's Filipino partner Marites Flor and Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad were seized Monday night from the Holiday Ocean View Samal Resort.

Sekkingstad is the manager of the resort.

Ridsdel is a former senior vice president of a Canadian mining firm, while Hall works for the company.

Onboard the speedboat, the source said, citing the content of the information received, were "the KVs (kidnap victims) from Davao."

The source also shared the tip that the "Tanum group from Patikul were the ones who forcibly took the foreigners from Samal Island in Davao del Norte."

Although the source declined to give details about the group, Tanum is the name of a village in Patikul, that has been associated with several kidnappings carried out by the Abu Sayyaf Group.

The Tanum Group (A faction of the Abu Sayyaf) mentioned in the article for those who are not familiar with them is headed by Muamar Askali. He and Isnilon Hapilon, one of the leaders of the Abu Sayyaff, are the ones who declared themselves and those associated with them their allegiance to ISIS a while back. He also has a lot of contacts on the main island of Mindanao which could have helped him carry out the initial kidnapping since Samal Island would be much more difficult than somewhere like Palawan to grab foreigners. One possible group would be the AKP who have a strong presence in Sarangani and whose members have been known to travel to Davao in the past. That group is headed by a guy named Amin Baco who is a former member of Jemaah Islamiyah. The AKP may be who President Aquino was referring to when he mentioned a new group may have been involved in this article since they have not been on the scene very long and their existence has been denied by the president in the past.

Just an option to consider, but If this turns out to be true, that would be the worst case scenario for the hostages.  

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1
bluecarabao

Take a look at a satellite image of that Ocean View Resort/Marina and you will see that there is next to nothing there except that marina. There is one guard posted at the highway entrance and a couple of CCTV cameras of questionable quality as the footage reveals. That was an extremely soft target which would cough up a rich payday no matter who was kidnapped as most if not all there at the time where foreigners. According to Governor Rosario,the manner in which the kidnappers came and left,indicates that security was loose. LOOSE,how about non existent !!
  Now here is the real kick in the gonads,the intelligence community knew three months in advance{June 2015} that there was going to be a kidnapping event on Samal Island and the military confirmed this intell and did absolutely nothing with the info. One quick survey of the island would have show that Ocean Park Resort/Marina to be the softest target with the richest payday,on the island.
  The Philippine government is responsible,the military is responsible,the mayor of Samal is responsible and the owner of that resort/marina ,all are responsible for what happened.
 Then again,you have two people,one who has spent lots of time in the Philippines,one who knows of the dangers associated with this part of the country,park his boat in one of the most dangerous marinas in all the Philippines. Dude !! What where you thinking? What is any foreigner doing parking their boat and staying in that place? Are they all blind??

Edited by bluecarabao
  • Like 2