Ransom Time Again - Mindanao Kidnapping

Just found this story from the New York Times.

If this article is correct, one of those abducted, John Ridsdel is described as being a mining executive who has been based in the Philippines since at least August 2008.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that he was among those taken. The NPA along with many Lumad groups and activist have been fighting foreign mining operations here for decades.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• woodchopper

• colemanlee

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I know that I am constantly proven wrong by living in a safe and beautiful area on Mindanao for the last 7 years, I am so convoluted and delusional because I have not listened to those who have ne

We have a trip planned to Samal Island next  Sunday.  After this happened my wife said " I guess we arent going to Samal on Sunday now ? "  My reply to her " of course we are going- because i can guar

Careful, you're gonna get the Mindanao posse all riled up! They claim Davao City is the safest place in the Philippines and Samal Island is right under Hoss Duterte's nose. This can't be happening,

Posted Images

were the kidnappers just being nice guys or maybe the boat was small .... really making excuses for everything that happens is just not right ...

The Abu Sayyaf would have probably shot them or anyone else who tried to resist. They are more violent than the people who carried this out. It is always possible that this group did this in hopes of later selling these hostages to someone like the Abu Sayyaf, but I doubt it, first because there are much easier ways and places to abduct foreigners than Samal Island, and second, the escape route they took would make it difficult to transfer the hostages to the areas where the Abu Sayyaf or one of the other Muslim extremist groups could hide them. The territory they found the boats in suggests that it is a local group. Of course they could have traded boats in the middle of the gulf somewhere and headed south, but their chances of getting to the Sulu region undetected would have been difficult since the alert of the kidnapping went out almost immediately.  

• Admin (Retired)

it's the Christmas season

they need money for gift shopping

• Like 2

'Please just stay in Cebu or Manila where no expats are ever harmed.' 

Roger that james...holding position...be advised air cover capability grounded for a wile...escape team standing by in yellow banka but bring gas...keep your head down bud

• Like 1

This is an excellant book on what you can expect if or when you expats get kidnapped in the PI. Especially reccomended for you tough/have no fear guys. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Presence-My-Enemies-Gracia-Burnham/dp/0842381392/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442932763&sr=1-1&keywords=gracia+burnham

• Like 1

CCTV footage of the kidnapping can be seen here in this news report. 

Edited by Tullioz

I second this, no expat in their right mind should ever set foot in Mindanao. Stay in Manila or Cebu, or anywhere away from Mindanao. End rant.

• Like 5

I second this, no expat in their right mind should ever set foot in Mindanao. Stay in Manila or Cebu, or anywhere away from Mindanao. End rant.

Everywhere you go in the PH, you are taking chances. But they are different types of chances.

In Cebu, you can run into a wacko who can just get violent and harm you for nothing. I've met people in Cebu that get mad for senseless reasons - such as they say they saw you on TV, and you were in the news being arrested. It was not you, but they swear it was. Or they can call you a Satanist for no reason or slander you in other ways. Or when you complain or get angry, they can get mad and hit you or shoot you. They are hot blooded there. But kidnappings are not common.

In Manila and Angeles, they are more formal and less hot blooded, but they can scam you in all sorts of ways. They can set you up and frame you for something you didn't do and you can end up in jail on trumped up charges. You can also be robbed at a gun point or in your house. But, not much kidnapping goes on there. Very few to no cases reported.

In Mindanao, there is less robbery and less scamming/false accusations, but there is a higher kidnapping risk- a fact which is supported by steady news of such events from that area. That means you run a greater probability to meet a kidnapping syndicate there. There is also more "begging"- people say "Help me, I need this, I need that".

But again, not all Mindanao is potentially dangerous. The consensus is as long as you stay in the cities, you should be OK. Davao is the safest city in the PH, but once you venture outside city limits, chances of kidnapping become greater.

Everything is measured in degrees, possibilities, chances, probabilities, greater and lesser frequencies, and potentials. There are no absolutes.

I've walked in the downtown Johannesburg and Soweto, and I've walked in the downtown Tokyo. Nothing happened to me either in SA or in Japan. It does not mean that both places possess the same probability of crime.

The same in Mindanao. You take increased chances of kidnapping if you go to many places there. It does not mean you will get kidnapped and that every place is dangerous, but your chances of that happening to you are greater than if you were in a small town in Finland somewhere.

Edited by tambok
  • Like 5
rainymike

Let's see now.

Justice Department decides to press charges against 90+ MILF/BIFF for murder/theft at Mamasapano.

Military steps up activities against the Abu Sayyaf.

The MILF renounces proposed changes to the BBL.

Second highest leader in the CPP-NPA is arrested in Cavite in June on Luzon.

NPA pressing hard to press more Lumad into their ranks on Mindanao.

NPA executes 3 army intel operatives in Rizal on Luzon in July

Army kills Commander Parago of the NPA in June in Davao.

High ranking leader of NPA and wife arrested in Batangas on Luzon in April.

Provinces in Mindanao continue to be the least developed in the country. Continued perception of being 'exploited' by the north. Poverty and death from conflict is a tried and true method of recruitment for terrorist groups - no matter how many heads get chopped off.

What we forget sometimes is that the Philippines remains a third world country. It has a lot of potential, but a lot of disparity in power and wealth that is not easily changed. While the Islamic threat is concentrated on Mindanao, historically some of their biggest attacks have been to the north. The NPA may be on the decline, but is still active throughout the country. The military is pressing hard on both groups with some nice wins. This sometimes leads to a pushback by the terrorists. If that happens, I don't think Mindanao is the only option at play for them to send a message.

If you're going to live in this country, my opinion is that you need an ability to really assess your risk. I am of the opinion that being on or not being on Mindanao is not the best or most useful indicator for assessing threats to oneself or family from terror. And I remain of the opinion that dengue is a bigger threat to my family than terrorism.

• Like 5

. I've met people in Cebu that get mad for senseless reasons - such as they say they saw you on TV, and you were in the news being arrested. It was not you, but they swear it was. Or they can call you a Satanist for no reason or slander you in other ways. Or when you complain or get angry, they can get mad and hit you or shoot you. They are hot blooded there

Where did you meet those psychos?

Yes I know that I am constantly proven wrong by living in a safe and beautiful area on Mindanao for the last 7 years, I am so convoluted and delusional because I have not listened to those who have never actually ventured here. That is why I have repeatedly replied on the forum that squeamish expats and those with doubts should stay as far away from Mindanao as humanly possible.

Less expats here is actually a good thing for those of us who are crazed mindless fools daring to actually feel we have good lives here, The worst thing possible is for waves of new pasty-faced expats blundering and stumbling around the countryside. Their presence would merely queer the reasonable land prices and probably taint the perceptions of the locals. I strongly suggest that expats stay away because you should be afraid, in fact your should be very afraid; because Mindanao is much too dangerous a place for expats to come or live here. This is because all the locals here on Mindanao are either crazed bloodthirsty cannibals or terrorist determined to kill you and rape your corpse while taking selfies, and all the women here are trained since child birth to scam you; plus all the jungles of Mindanao are full of wak-waks and the pods will get you in your sleep, in fact I was killed, twice just in the last month alone which is why I am now sitting here posting this warning to all the expats on the form 

You have a huge personal investment in your farm and no one would expect you to say anything different, James.

• Like 5

Everywhere you go in the PH, you are taking chances. But they are different types of chances.

In Cebu, you can run into a wacko who can just get violent and harm you for nothing. I've met people in Cebu that get mad for senseless reasons - such as they say they saw you on TV, and you were in the news being arrested. It was not you, but they swear it was. Or they can call you a Satanist for no reason or slander you in other ways. Or when you complain or get angry, they can get mad and hit you or shoot you. They are hot blooded there. But kidnappings are not common.

In Manila and Angeles, they are more formal and less hot blooded, but they can scam you in all sorts of ways. They can set you up and frame you for something you didn't do and you can end up in jail on trumped up charges. You can also be robbed at a gun point or in your house. But, not much kidnapping goes on there. Very few to no cases reported.

In Mindanao, there is less robbery and less scamming/false accusations, but there is a higher kidnapping risk- a fact which is supported by steady news of such events from that area. That means you run a greater probability to meet a kidnapping syndicate there. There is also more "begging"- people say "Help me, I need this, I need that".

But again, not all Mindanao is potentially dangerous. The consensus is as long as you stay in the cities, you should be OK. Davao is the safest city in the PH, but once you venture outside city limits, chances of kidnapping become greater.

Everything is measured in degrees, possibilities, chances, probabilities, greater and lesser frequencies, and potentials. There are no absolutes.

I've walked in the downtown Johannesburg and Soweto, and I've walked in the downtown Tokyo. Nothing happened to me either in SA or in Japan. It does not mean that both places possess the same probability of crime.

The same in Mindanao. You take increased chances of kidnapping if you go to many places there. It does not mean you will get kidnapped and that every place is dangerous, but your chances of that happening to you are greater than if you were in a small town in Finland somewhere.

move to Arizona

You have a huge personal investment in your farm and no one would expect you to say anything different, James.

I think the difference is James is not walking around a resort in swimwear. Anyone came near his place he would shoot the bastards.

The terrorists/kidnappers are already getting what they desire most with exception to money. Publicity.

• Like 2

I think the difference is James is not walking around a resort in swimwear. Anyone came near his place he would shoot the bastards.

The terrorists/kidnappers are already getting what they desire most with exception to money. Publicity.

Well if they do any research they know who has some cash and who don't... to get power you need money and so that is the modern day terrorist its about the money