Ransom Time Again - Mindanao Kidnapping

A_Simple_Man

Kidnapping Canadians?  I guess they never looked at the value of Canadian dollars these days.  Americans are worth 1/3 more.  Its a damn shame it happens to anyone.  I'll bet Roger Dumond's mother that these kidnappers have OFW relatives living and working in Canada.  For now anyway, if I ran the Canadian government I would make the Filiino OFWs working in Canada pay the ransom.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• woodchopper

• colemanlee

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I know that I am constantly proven wrong by living in a safe and beautiful area on Mindanao for the last 7 years, I am so convoluted and delusional because I have not listened to those who have ne

We have a trip planned to Samal Island next  Sunday.  After this happened my wife said " I guess we arent going to Samal on Sunday now ? "  My reply to her " of course we are going- because i can guar

Careful, you're gonna get the Mindanao posse all riled up! They claim Davao City is the safest place in the Philippines and Samal Island is right under Hoss Duterte's nose. This can't be happening,

Posted Images

RogerDuMond

I'll lay odds these kidnappers have OFW relatives living and working in Canada.

What kind of odds are you offering?

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

What kind of odds are you offering?

Fixed  :devil:

Aquino gave them a holiday this Friday, so maybe they'll be nicer now.

Yes, he gave the entire country a holiday, but it's obvious what group you were singling out ;) This case may not be the usual suspects however, we will just have to wait and see. Since the kidnappers fled to Davao Oriental (That would be an unwise and difficult escape route for the Abu Sayyaf to take) they may have been taken by another group. NPA? Environmental or Political activists?

For those who have not noticed or have been keeping up with the latest news, the situation throughout Mindanao has been getting more unstable over the past year, but continues to be relatively safe for foreigners. Between the BBL being stalled and watered down, the Lumad situation, mining and other foreign companies acquiring more and more land and America's involvement in military affairs, there are a lot of angry people here, especially in this part of the Philippines.

It is for the reasons mentioned above that I made the following comment in the thread about the kidnapping threat in the Negros Oriental thread several days ago.

Unfortunately I think we will start seeing more threats like this in the near future. More so in the south, but also in other parts of the Philippines as well.

Other things to consider in this case are that the two Japanese that intervened were not killed or taken hostage. Also there were 30 other foreigners staying at the resort at the time of the abductions. That would turn my suspicions away from a group like the Abu Sayyaf, and more towards thinking those that were taken were singled out for one reason or another and may only be a personal dispute. Just speculation on my part based on what we know so far.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1

Time to practice the Anecdotal Denial Fallacy by an apologist. Here we go:

"Well, I've been to Samal twice and nothing happened to me.

My friends have been there and they said the place is safe and the people are friendly.

I've never heard ( until now) about people being kidnapped from Samal.

Hence:

If they got kidnapped, it was probably because of their own arrogant attitude and their looking down on the locals. They provoked such behavior with their American boastfulness, thus, it's all their fault".

Edited by tambok
  • Like 4

Well, my wife is from Samal Island - and she is quite surprised at this.

We don't have any plans to visit (been about 3 years since I was there last) until next year maybe.

Yes, he gave the entire country a holiday, but it's obvious what group you were singling out

I'm glad you were able to read between the lines and deduce that I was not referring to the Girl Scouts. Was the thread title "It's ransom time again - Mindanao kidnapping" a helpful clue?

But I'm glad that you think that "they" probably weren't responsible. I love blind optimism.

• Like 4

I'm glad you were able to read between the lines and deduce that I was not referring to the Girl Scouts. Was the thread title "It's ransom time again - Mindanao kidnapping" a helpful clue?

But I'm glad that you think that "they" probably weren't responsible. I love blind optimism.

If you read my post you will see why I do not suspect the Abu Sayyaf. In the end I may end up being wrong on my speculations, but based on the MO of these kidnappers and recent developments in this part of the country it points towards another group or individual with a different motive.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 2

If you read my post you will see why I do not suspect the Abu Sayyaf.

If you go back and read all of the posts I don't think you'll find anyone, including me, pointing the finger at Abu Sayyaf. This may come as a shock to you but there are other offshoot Muslim groups that aren't so nice. Maybe I gave you too much credit for reading between the lines. I was painting with a big brush. Maybe you can figure it out now.

This may come as a shock to you but there are other offshoot Muslim groups that aren't so nice.

Only all of them.

TROP.jpg

• Like 1

If you go back and read all of the posts I don't think you'll find anyone, including me, pointing the finger at Abu Sayyaf. This may come as a shock to you but there are other offshoot Muslim groups that aren't so nice. Maybe I gave you too much credit for reading between the lines. I was painting with a big brush. Maybe you can figure it out now.

I doubt it was any of the Muslim groups.  These three foreigners were targeted specifically for one reason or another. Had it been a terror operation the kidnappers would have been more indiscriminate in taking hostages and most likely the two Japanese who intervened would be dead. Once again, this is just speculation on my part and I very well could be wrong. 

Edited by Tullioz
jtmwatchbiz

which is why I am now sitting here posting

it also may have something to do with the fact no one, not even the bad guys are particularly interested in your place :)

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34322053

An army spokesman said they were taken by gunmen late on Monday from the Holiday Oceanview resort on Samal Island, near Davao City on Mindanao.

The attackers, who have not been identified by police, left by boat, Capt Alberto Caber told reporters.

He said it appeared the four were targeted rather than taken at random.

Since the 1990s the southern Philippines has seen sporadic incidents of kidnapping by Muslim militant groups, who hold hostages for ransom.

Foreigners named

Philippine authorities have named the Canadian abductees as John Ridsel and Robert Hall.

The Norwegian, Kjartan Sekkingstad, was said to be the manager of the resort.

The Filipino woman has not been identified, but she is said to be the partner of one of the kidnapped Canadians.

Authorities also said two Japanese tourists had tried to intervene to prevent the kidnapping, which took place shortly before midnight.

The Associated Press quoted Capt Caber as saying a naval blockade was being set up around the island to stop kidnappers from reaching another island in the southwest known to house militant strongholds.

Philippine authorities signed a peace agreement with the largest Muslim rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, in 2014, but continue to battle smaller groups in the south.

The region where Samal is located has been largely peaceful in recent years. The last related incident on Samal took place in 2001 when Islamist separatist group Abu Sayyaf attempted to kidnap tourists at another resort.

The group is holding a number of foreign hostages in various remote camps.