Early USA Retirees Keeping Obamacare When Living In Cebu

Irenicus

First of all, the government can't give you anything that it hasn't taken from someone else.

I know, right?

There was a guy yesterday bragging about his $5,0000 a month military pension for LIFE, health insurance for life, all kinds of "free" stuff from the government.  

USMC-Retired

Targetlock what is your disability rating %?

I am only at 40 but have a major appeal going will go up for my foot but I had 2 bad tbi when I was in got ran over by a car doing 60 mph and hit in the head by a tank barrel when it was spun around real fast so I have stuff like neck and back and right knee trying to get comp for I believe I should be close to 100 if not 100 when it all clears especially with the tbi's they r in my record just not service connected yet

• 2 months later...

I got a quote for obuma care last week . $10,000 a year and a $5000 deductible !

Next year I hit 50 , it would go up again.

Guess I will stay an ex-pat.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
gasturbine

I vote for Tricare. Before the new Demonstration Project Tricare was a completely pay upfront and hope to get reimbursed.

With the new plan available in Manila its pay 25% and that is all. Three really good hospitals The Medical City, Makati Medical and Asian Hospital are included in the plan. I used the plan and it worked great paid 25% of bll and the rest was covered by Tricare. The bill amounted to php 717,000 and I paid php 129,000 a good deal by any measure.

• Like 1
smokey

From original poster...

Thanks for the feedback.

As far a I can determine, what I'm intending to do is perfectly legal, and I'm surprised I haven't read about others getting the Obamacare subsidy while living out of country.

i think any benefit except SS is for usa residents only the use a us address will work for a while or until you get caught no different then using a VPN to get usa nexflix just hope you dont caught .. I also heard of people collecting SS disability not the one you put into but the government one for poor and trying the keep address but your passport tells all just like IRS it takes a few years to catch up 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

We pay 70 UDS a month and the government pays the rest (a little over 700 USD). If we were in a bronze level plan, the insurance would be free.

Don't you mean the government pays the rest with tax credits? In other words, they pay it with your money that you would otherwise pay in tax. 

i was told i have to live in usa 6 months and 1 day to keep my ob care  but i am disabled if that maters i dont know 

gasturbine

What good is Obamacare in Cebu as no Philippine Hospital will take it. You still must pay upfront here and hope for reimbursement. So what is the point???

What good is Obamacare in Cebu as no Philippine Hospital will take it. You still must pay upfront here and hope for reimbursement. So what is the point???

If you have a chance to read the OP he explains the benefit. Returning to the USA sans insurance can be expesnive if you should need care and have no insurance.

From what I read about Obamacare, you're allowed 329 days outside of the U.S.  As long as you come back for a month every year, you'll meet the physical residency requirement. 

There are mail forwarding services that not only forward mail, but  also give a legal permanent address in the US. All the benefits of being a regular permanent citizen.  These services are used by RV'ers, sailors, expats etc. 

I use the VA for all my medical, but also keep medicare, just in case.    

It may be getting harder to beat the system I often hear Canadians having to return home because of health insurance, guess the Canadian gov keeps tract?   Jester

ChicagoMike

If you have a chance to read the OP he explains the benefit. Returning to the USA sans insurance can be expesnive if you should need care and have no insurance.         

Exactly. 

Benefits are:

1) No need for travel insurance while visiting USA.

2) If able to travel to USA for medical care, using Obamacare can be cheaper for serious situations than treatment in Philippines. For example, I have read posts where treatment in the Philippines can get above 1 million pesos. Obamacare however has some very low max out-of-pocket policies and can be as low as $1500 annually for a couple.

3) It is my understanding that Philippine health insurance companies won't cover preexisting conditions while Obamacare does.

4) If your reported income as stated on tax return 1040 form is low, for example $22,000 for couple, Obamacare is almost free due to government subsidies. 

5) No need to worry about Obamacare tax penalty if you don't have US insurance and you reside in the USA for more than a month. 

From what I read about Obamacare, you're allowed 329 days outside of the U.S.  

Good to know.... still I seriously doubt the government or insurance companies will be checking passports to see if you lived outside of USA.

Of course, this topic may be moot in a couple years since the US insurance companies are considering not participating in the future, or the next president/congress may eliminate it.

"I seriously doubt the government or insurance companies will be checking passports to see if you lived outside of USA."

I totally agree.  The insurance company will gladly accept the money and not check your residency.  That is, until the day you ask them for a million dollar triple bypass.  Then I can almost guarantee you they will check.

I totally agree.  The insurance company will gladly accept the money and not check your residency.  That is, until the day you ask them for a million dollar triple bypass.  Then I can almost guarantee you they will check.

I will never try to use their services again, that's for sure. Total waste of my time and efforts.