Early USA Retirees Keeping Obamacare When Living In Cebu

The wife and I are early retirees, moving to Cebu next year. We are currently in Illinois, enrolled in an Obamacare silver level (Blue Cross) health care plan. We pay 70 UDS a month and the government pays the rest (a little over 700 USD). If we were in a bronze level plan, the insurance would be free.

I believe we can continue to take advantage of Obamacare subsidies when we become expats by doing the following.

1. Use an Illinois relatives address for mailing purposes.
  2. Keep my reported taxable annual income (IRA withdrawal) around 22 thousand dollars. (note: Subsidy decreases as income rises above that level).

The advantage of this doing this is as follows.

1. No need to worry about insurance coverage when visiting United States.
  2. No need to worry about Obamacare tax penalty or number of days being spent in the United States.

While in the Philippines, we plan to have PhilHealth and self-insure.  

The only gap in my plan is if one of us suffers from something like a heart attack where travel to United States is out of the question. If however, the medical issue is (for example) cancer, then we can travel and take advantage of our USA coverage.

Has anyone else considered doing something similar ?

• Like 1

My plan is similar. Keep money in local bank and high limit credit card for emergencies. For something serious and chronic return to USA. It is good they (Obamacare) base rates on income and not assets.

Sounds like the plan you have would work. However, there is a chance (small?) that if found out, there could be some sort of charges for fraud. Most likely not. But the use of the subsidy based upon the deception could put you at risk.

• Like 1

The thing that has me ticked off about Obama care is if u r a veteran u do not qualify so while others who never served their country gets cheap insurance and can pick there Drs we r stuck with the va system where u have very few choices on your care just don't think it is fair but our tax dollars help support the other people on Obama care

We pay 70 UDS a month and the government pays the rest (a little over 700 USD). If we were in a bronze level plan, the insurance would be free.

First of all, the government can't give you anything that it hasn't taken from someone else. Secondly the insurance will never be free. Someone has to pay for it. (maybe reread my first sentence if you need help understanding)

Good luck in skirting the system while in the Philippines.

• Like 4

I went to a healthcare conference once to see what they had to offer. Nothing special but lots of gifts like pens, lanyards and koozies. Speaking of koozies I just ordered 100 for the charity bash.

04d3a1e3835901cda622369671327433.jpg

• Like 1

From original poster...

Thanks for the feedback.

As far a I can determine, what I'm intending to do is perfectly legal, and I'm surprised I haven't read about others getting the Obamacare subsidy while living out of country.

The thing that has me ticked off about Obama care is if u r a veteran u do not qualify so while others who never served their country gets cheap insurance and can pick there Drs we r stuck with the va system where u have very few choices on your care just don't think it is fair but our tax dollars help support the other people on Obama care

This is not completely true.I am a veteran and have blue cross.It's what has to be done to get rid of the VA crap lack of care.

But do u have your coverage as the result of work as when my wife and I applied for the Obama care it said specifically that if a veteran u do not qualify

This is not completely true.I am a veteran and have blue cross.It's what has to be done to get rid of the VA crap lack of care.

If you think the VA Healthcare system is garbage wait until Obamacare goes into full effect next year. It never ceases to amaze how people think the government is a savior as it pertains to taking care of people. The government has shown over and over again that it doesn't provide any assistance to people whatsoever and the VA healthcare system is the poster child for this. 

From original poster...

Thanks for the feedback.

As far a I can determine, what I'm intending to do is perfectly legal, and I'm surprised I haven't read about others getting the Obamacare subsidy while living out of country.

I had the impression the subsidies were provided based upon eligibility. For most, this would likely be an income level. I would expect that part of the application process is to indicate your residence. With many government benefits, there is a place to sign and attest that the information provided by you is truthful. That's where the risk of fraud comes in.

If you are able to establish that you are a resident where you state you are, then no big deal. Living overseas for extended periods doesn't necessarily mean you're a non resident. This has come up in the forum multiple times related to IRS rules for taxation.

• Admin (Retired)

lets not turn this thread in to a debate about obamacare .. or it will just get moved to the political forums

or locked

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

VA care for me has never been that bad. Yet I do not use it though have disability rating high enough to qualify. ACA is not going to be good look at the struggles using tricare in Cebu.

Broke my foot in the army in 95 was not allowed to see a dr took till this summer to finally get the va to do an MRI had reconstructive surgery on my foot and ankle in August it took almost 2 decades to get care for it and I have been rated on it for the last 2 years