Decent Ramen for a Snack

rainymike

rainymike

One of the comfort foods from Hawaii that I miss is saimin or won ton mein. I don't like the dried instant ramen in the styrofoam cups. And to my surprise, SM and NCCC malls now carry fresh packaged noodles for ramen.

Quick snack (well a little effort if you really want yummy ramen):

1. Prepare toppings:

Fried egg and slice into thin strips (or sliced boiled egg).

It's hard to find charsiu pork, so I use sliced farmer's ham (Cagayan brand works well). (Alternately make your own charsiu pork, slice and freeze).

Garnish with sliced green onions and/or some Chinese cabbage. Toss some frozen gyoza or siomao into the cooking broth. Korean dumplings are the most flavorful for me, but could only find them in Cebu.

Add nori (dried seaweed).

2. Prepare noodles and broth.

Boil a couple cups of water and throw in one or two bouillon cubes for taste (I like chicken or beef for the broth).

When water at a boil, toss in the fresh noodles and gyoza/siomao. Cook to your tastes (firm, yukky soft, whatever).

Transfer noodles and broth to a bowl. Add toppings. Whip out your chopsticks and suck them down with a loud slurpy noise.

• Like 2

That's too much work. Some of the Korean instant noodles are good, but I don't have name because the gf buys them.

That's too much work. Some of the Korean instant noodles are good, but I don't have name because the gf buys them.

My favorite is the Lucky Me Extra Hot Chili with "Krak" (Little bits of  dried meat).

Ramen, it's not just for breakfast any more.

One of the comfort foods from Hawaii that I miss is saimin or won ton mein. I don't like the dried instant ramen in the styrofoam cups. And to my surprise, SM and NCCC malls now carry fresh packaged noodles for ramen.

Quick snack (well a little effort if you really want yummy ramen):

1. Prepare toppings:

Fried egg and slice into thin strips (or sliced boiled egg).

It's hard to find charsiu pork, so I use sliced farmer's ham (Cagayan brand works well). (Alternately make your own charsiu pork, slice and freeze).

Garnish with sliced green onions and/or some Chinese cabbage. Toss some frozen gyoza or siomao into the cooking broth. Korean dumplings are the most flavorful for me, but could only find them in Cebu.

Add nori (dried seaweed).

2. Prepare noodles and broth.

Boil a couple cups of water and throw in one or two bouillon cubes for taste (I like chicken or beef for the broth).

When water at a boil, toss in the fresh noodles and gyoza/siomao. Cook to your tastes (firm, yukky soft, whatever).

Transfer noodles and broth to a bowl. Add toppings. Whip out your chopsticks and suck them down with a loud slurpy noise.

rainymike I sometimes use pork broth from a boiled leg or bones and add a drop of soy to make Kyushu ramen. But no ajinomoto added like they do in Japan. You can use miso paste, chili sauce and mince/ground meat to make tantan men. We eat a lot of men on ice with sauce to dip it in. I found some amazing beef bacon I could boil to make nikku udon. But recently its become another "Sorry sir out of stock' item.

• Like 1

My favorite is the Lucky Me Extra Hot Chili with "Krak" (Little bits of dried meat).

Ramen, it's not just for breakfast any more.

That's a side dish 50% of the time cause I won't eat rice.

The krak should be spelled Crack cause them noodles is addictive

• Like 2

I have Shin Ramyun about everyday when I'm in the PI. For the meal they have I don't like lol

NOSOCALPINOY
rainymike

I know it's a little more work, but try the fresh noodles instead. Big difference and it's still relatively fast to make and not that expensive. The current brands don't even need to be refrigerated.

To give it that Korean taste, just add some chili sauce and mandu (sold in some of the Korean shops in Cebu). Buy a barbecue stick and toss in the bbq meat. 

miles-high

One of my CP pilot friends took me to “Kamekichi” Japanese ramen place – it was good and I visited them a few times. I don’t know the name of the street but it's located where I circled in red…

1.PNG

• Like 1

Robinsons stock soft udon men (noodles). The supplier is Machiya Mart. Down past Country mall in Cebu go under the flyover not over it. The shop is on the block on the left opposite Shell Services. They have mentai in stock and an uni delivery twice week. The boss will deliver to other parts of the Philippines in a dry ice box. I tried to keep katsuobushi (tuna flakes) to make dashi (soup) for udon but it does not keep. I substitute using patis with soy and Mirin. Philippine soy is terrible harsh stuff. You need a good Chinese brand or kikkoman. Same sauce for somen ( thin noodles on ice) or cold udon but made stronger with no water.

• Like 1

A truck load of Ramen Noodles tipped over and burned en route to delivering  to SM Mall.

post-842-0-61370500-1442837289_thumb.jpg

Officials declared that the cargo valued at 2000p was a total loss.    Jester

• Like 1

A truck load of Ramen Noodles tipped over and burned en route to delivering  to SM Mall.

:ROFLMAO:  how does one tip over a truck and trailer with just a few no weight noodles on board   :unknw:

:coffee:  My first cup...lets get this forum up and rolling people...times a wastin here...full speed ahead   

• Like 1

Thanks rainymike for starting this

If you stay in Cebu any extended time at all, not invested, temp monthly rent and can't cook there any kind is better than nothing. But just eating to stay alive feels empty, real noodles, decent soy-u, an egg that has a standing yoke even if have to wait can be good as gold.

Oh its just noodles...no its not its real if you get the real one. I'm not sure if I will return there but I've decided on one part already.

If there is not some woman around at least one hour everyday that runs around shopping find the good stuff so that I or she can through it together the way I want I'm not doing it!  I don't care what her age or her looks, I only have to like her voice. I'm sure most here no what a pain it is to listen to someone who's voice gives pain in the head. But If she no english then no talk anyway so work around is ok.

:cooking: =   :biggrin_01:       No noodles...No Cebu    

Phat Ro in Robinsons cybermall do some Vietnamese noodle bowls with meatballs. A bit pricey but ok. Plenty of hot sauce. Years ago as student in Japan, Ramen was my staple diet. Almost daily tonkotsu ramen (Pork bone broth) with raw egg. sesame, and  red ginger. I still make it but second to that has to be curry udon. A decent masala curry with udon instead of rice.

post-3779-0-85548100-1442844325_thumb.jpg

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
rainymike

I tried to keep katsuobushi (tuna flakes) to make dashi (soup) for udon but it does not keep. I substitute using patis with soy and Mirin. Philippine soy is terrible harsh stuff. You need a good Chinese brand or kikkoman. Same sauce for somen ( thin noodles on ice) or cold udon but made stronger with no water.

Somen is a nice and refreshing meal/snack (noodles served on ice). I thin the soy sauce with some water and sweeten slightly. I'm good to go with slices of egg and ham and green onions. Don't really like fishcake, but it comes in all sorts of forms here and can be used as an alternative topping. For a cheap alternative to tuna flakes, I sometimes chop up some of those tiny dried fish (look like dried little guppies) that are slightly sweet and salty.

SM also carries 'fresh' udon in packs that don't need to be refrigerated.