Coming to cebu

acousticnewton

acousticnewton

Hey all,

I'm a 28 year old working offshore in Asia at the moment. For the foreseeable future I will be working out of the Singapore office and I have been going to Thailand a lot on my free time lately. I figure it would be good to check out some of the rest of Asia. A lot of the guys I work with on the vessels are Filipino and are generally really cool guys, so in November, Cebu it is.

There are a couple guys on the vessel I'm on right now that live there, so I would have local friends. I think it would be good to get an ex-pat's view of the place as well.

I'm really interested in getting my scuba PADI certification while I'm there so anyone who knows a good spot lemme know... Also I'm interested in the nightlife and the local girls :)

Anyways, HI!

~~Noah

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acousticnewton

• Balay

• Paul

• Bob Ward

Do I hear sex tourist?

I certainly didnt read that into it.

Almost every single (I presume) 28 year old male probably looks at females no matter where they are!

I did see about scuba diving, which someone here may be able to advise on.

As you have Filipino friends, you will no doubt have a good time.

Try to do some sightseeing, there are some beautiful places around.

acousticnewton
I certainly didnt read that into it.

Almost every single (I presume) 28 year old male probably looks at females no matter where they are!

I did see about scuba diving, which someone here may be able to advise on.

As you have Filipino friends, you will no doubt have a good time.

Try to do some sightseeing, there are some beautiful places around.

Thanks man, I was just trying to get some good info from an expat point of view, and maybe some advice on what to do or what not to do, etc.

Also wanted some advice on where to get a dive certification, and I'm sure there are people wanting to support their business on here, but hey... I guess I'm just a "Sex tourist" Sorry.

AngelofBroden

Moalboal used to be the place to go for scuba diving. Very nice, clear waters.. You might want to check that out when you're there.

Edited by AngelofBroden
acousticnewton
Moalboal used to be the place to go for scuba diving. Very nice, clear waters.. You might want to check that out when you're there.

Thanks Mate, I was just looking at some places to go there... It looks like there's quite a few dive shops there to choose from, plus plenty of places to stay. I may just wing it and cruise down there for a week or so. I hear there is no ATMs there so bring as much cash as you will need though.

you have any favorites there?

Do I hear sex tourist?

Dude!!! That was a cheap shot!

Actually if scianna54 wasn't in such a bad mood, he knows Moalboal and the dive spots pretty well. Maybe when he mellows out, he will lend you some insight! LOL

Dude!!! That was a cheap shot!

Actually if scianna54 wasn't in such a bad mood, he knows Moalboal and the dive spots pretty well. Maybe when he mellows out, he will lend you some insight! LOL

I was just trying to clarify in order to give the right advice.

:)

Maybe he is looking to combine scuba diving and "the other stuff". Puerto Galera would be on top of the list.

For a scuba beginner, Boracay would be on top of the list. There is a lot of night life in Boracay.

Other spots would be Moalboal with some nice hang out bars and Alona beach in Panglao Island (Bohol) with a nice beach.

Edited by scianna54
I was just trying to clarify in order to give the right advice.

:angry:

Maybe he is looking to combine scuba diving and "the other stuff". Puerto Galera would be on top of the list.

Yes, I think he wants to do all types of diving! LOLOLOL :)

Edited by Bob Ward
Hey all,

I'm a 28 year old working offshore in Asia at the moment. For the foreseeable future I will be working out of the Singapore office and I have been going to Thailand a lot on my free time lately. I figure it would be good to check out some of the rest of Asia. A lot of the guys I work with on the vessels are Filipino and are generally really cool guys, so in November, Cebu it is.

There are a couple guys on the vessel I'm on right now that live there, so I would have local friends. I think it would be good to get an ex-pat's view of the place as well.

I'm really interested in getting my scuba PADI certification while I'm there so anyone who knows a good spot lemme know... Also I'm interested in the nightlife and the local girls :)

Anyways, HI!

~~Noah

Try looking at the Dumaguete messageboard . Duma is ferry ride from Cebu. There is Mikes dive shop which arranges certification and they do trips to Apo Island which is a really good dive site.

I don't believe the diving off of Boracay is any good ,better to just snorkel.

A guy involved with the Dumaguette board is a dive instructor called Rhoody he has his own web site for diving as for Puerto Galera....diving is ok not good unless you want to do Nitrox certs and deep diving as you want to get your basic Padi open water best leave PG for when your more experienced.

Once your certified and have a few dives under your belt then you can look at Subic for wreck dives and good nightlife or Palawan for great wreck dives but they are deeper dives you need to have the experience first.

With only a week to spend I won't spend it travelling to other places.

I would stick to Mactan Island, where the plane lands.

I would take the Cebu Pacific late Friday/Early Saturday flight off the Budget Terminal,

book on a beach front hotel/resort, and wake up to the sound of the waves by noon time.

Try looking at the Dumaguete messageboard . Duma is ferry ride from Cebu. There is Mikes dive shop which arranges certification and they do trips to Apo Island which is a really good dive site.

I don't believe the diving off of Boracay is any good ,better to just snorkel.

A guy involved with the Dumaguette board is a dive instructor called Rhoody he has his own web site for diving as for Puerto Galera....diving is ok not good unless you want to do Nitrox certs and deep diving as you want to get your basic Padi open water best leave PG for when your more experienced.

Once your certified and have a few dives under your belt then you can look at Subic for wreck dives and good nightlife or Palawan for great wreck dives but they are deeper dives you need to have the experience first.

Sounds like an ad.

First, Boracay has about 40 (!) certified dive shops. You don't need a boat to learn diving like many other dive locations. You can just walk into the water, no need for a pool at all, like at most locations for the confined dives.

Boracay is perfect for the beginner in doing his certification. You can learn diving at Boracay faster than at any other place I know of plus there is competition among the dive shops.

Dumaguette has almost no night life either way at all. Apo island is overpriced.

Nitrox has NOTHING to do with deep diving!

Subic night life sucks in my humble opinion.

Edited by scianna54
acousticnewton

Thanks guys! good info. I will be around for about 2 weeks, maybe more, depending on work and such.

Boracay look awesome and the beach looks amazing... That's what I'm talking about.

And just to clarify.. I will partake in the local flavor of course, but it's not the reason... just a perk... a good perk... lol

Yeah right now I'm looking for a certification to open the possibilities of diving wherever.. I was recently in Papua New Guinea, and had 1 afternoon at this nice beach resort, but I couldn't dive... :) so to avoid that happening again I wanna get certified and see where that takes me.

Well thanks for the help and I will keep checking around here for good stuff.. I found a couple good threads on tips what to do and not to do, etc.. that's kinda what I'm looking for too.

Also I'm interested in the nightlife and the local girls :)
You could of just said nightlife and left out the part about the local girls.

I will partake in the local flavor of course
Only mongers refer to women as "flavor"

I guess I'm just a "Sex tourist"
At least you admit it :welcome:

I guess these are the comments that pegged you as a "Sex Tourist".