Openly gay man appointed to run the Army

If he does a good job no problems - 

President Barack Obama is nominating longtime Pentagon official Eric Fanning to be the Army's new secretary. If confirmed, Fanning, a civilian, would be the nation's first openly gay leader of a military service. 

The nomination comes at a time when the Obama administration is working to eliminate barriers to military service based on sexuality or gender. The “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy that allowed homosexuals to serve in the military as long as they hid their sexuality was officially repealed during Obama’s first term. Gays are now allowed to openly serve. 

In the meantime, women have been crossing traditional barriers in the military, as well. Two women competed for and earned their Army Ranger tabs this summer for the first time in history. On Friday, the Marines announced they would open armored units to women, but would seek to keep several front-line combat jobs – infantry and artillery -- closed, a senior military official told Fox News.That would buck the trend being followed by the other three military services. 

Fanning, 47, became the Army's acting undersecretary in July. Before that, he served as Defense Secretary Ash Carter’s chief of staff, and the undersecretary and acting secretary of the Air Force. Obama said in a statement Friday that Fanning brings years of experience and leadership to the role, and that he's confident Fanning will lead U.S. soldiers with distinction.

Before joining the administration, Fanning served as Deputy Director of the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism. He began his career in public service in 1996, serving in political affairs in the Clinton White House.

Fanning's nomination must be confirmed by the Senate. He would replace John McHugh, who has said he plans to step down no later than November 1. 

The news of Fanning's appointment quickly spread on social media  such as Twitter, with many calling the move “historic.”

“Proud of my friend Eric Fanning who will make history, again! Obama nominates 1st gay service secretary to lead Army,” tweeted USAID official Clay Doherty.

Labor Secretary Tom Perez also chimed in: “Congrats to Eric Fanning on being nominated Secretary of the Army! I look forward to our continued work together.”

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayT

• diverdon

• Davaoeno

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just my thoughts as I worked for DOD for fifteen years after I retired from the USMC...if you dont have active Military Service..you should never be appointed to head any of the services as a civilian

For the record: 12 years service British Army, 3 tours of Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Cyprus, 2 tours of Iraq. Colonel (ret), HQ Squadron of my last Cavalry Regiment posting. I sti

I am touched by your level of sensitivity . Its seldom that we see a guy  post here who is so in touch with his feminine side .     So your position is that all " public forums" should be ruled in l

Posted Images

woodchopper

reminds me of the poofter cowboy,,"rode into town and shot up the sherrif"!

• Like 3
colemanlee

Does this mean the Army is gona suck now

• Like 7
batman2525

How can the Worlds toughest military have a faggot running the show...? This is not good publicity.

• Like 4
RogerDuMond

Does this mean the Army is gona suck now

Uniforms will change to pink camouflage.

• Like 3
Headshot

Uniforms will change to pink camouflage.

Naw...Tinkerbell's a fairy, and she wears green.

• Like 1

Well the military has been getting f**d by this president anyway now they r gonna try to do it in more of a direct method imagine being a soldier in a formal ceremony out there marching and this idiot staring at u like u r a piece of meat in the grocery store that he is having for dinner

Scotsbloke

Toughest military?  Really?  Biggest maybe.  Do not confuse the two

I admire the bloke's honesty.

• Like 3

How can the Worlds toughest military have a faggot running the show...? This is not good publicity.

I guess we just have to wait for old people to die before words like faggot are no longer used

• Like 3

The Army is running a new commercial now.....minute long and just 10 seconds of if says anything about defending the country or shows weapons, was all humanitarian and getting training in computers and such...they need to have the people that make Call of Duty commercials make them.

Obama is sure changing the meaning of battle buddy be glad when he is gone so he can not cause anymore damage to the country in general

• Like 2

Isn`t there one running the whole country somewhere too.. ?  :cool:

So Lamoe,does this mean your thinking of joining the military because of this?

You've finally touched a nerve - should have actually considered what you post before doing so. For too long you've tried to make it personnel.  I said give him a chance which would defiantly put me on the liberal side of the posted comments so far.

From someone else I might have considered it to be simply in jest but not you. Not once have I ever said or implied anything about you as an individual and will not do so now. You post one more personnel attack and I will let the mods determine if you are allowed to continue.

These are my credentials - what are yours? 

USMC 67 /71 - 4  years 3 months service - medical discharge, 13 months Vietnam 68 - 11 months military hospital, wounded 3 times, final rank Sargent  E-5

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3