Female USC Student Found Murdered in Her Home

She was a classmate of my wifes baby sister ... she was very sweet and offered my sis n law encouragement and friendship when she was new and other classmates were bullying her for being from the bukid.

its very sad.. hopefully policework will be done properly and they can bring the kller(s) to justice.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2015/09/16/usc-accountancy-student-killed-inside-house-430582

RIP.

A 17-YEAR-OLD accountancy student was found dead inside her room in a subdivision in Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City last Tuesday afternoon.

Police have yet to identify who killed Karen Kaye Montebon, whom her father found lying on the floor with a cord of a hair straightener tied around her neck past 5 p.m.

A first-year student of the University of San Carlos, Montebon was alone when the killer or killers entered the house in the Corinthians Subdivision in Sitio Suba-Masulog.

Her iPad and DSLR camera were missing, leading the police to suspect that the gadgets contained sensitive information and have something do with the killing.

Senior Supt. Armando Radoc, chief of the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office, said robbery was an unlikely motive because there were more valuables in the house that could have been taken away.

Di ta kaingon na robbery kay naa pa may mas mahal na items (We can’t say it’s robbery because there were more expensive things in the house),” he said.

Although her father said a cord was tied around her neck, the autopsy report said that Montebon was choked to death with the use of hands.

Police are checking the identity of a woman who was seen knocking on the front door of the victim’s house around 7 a.m. and her male companion on a black motorcycle.

The two wore full-faced helmets, a helper working in a nearby house told the police.

The woman was described as petite and long-haired while the man was estimated to to be in his 40s, Radoc said. Nobody had recorded the motorcycle’s plate numbers.

A witness said the two were seen leaving less than hour later, but a neighbor living in an adjacent house said he heard the sound of a closing door coming from victim’s house around noon.

The neighbors whom investigators talked to said they did not hear any commotion from the victim’s house, Radoc told reporters.

He said Montebon was still in house clothing when she was killed. She also appeared to have been dragged by the hair from the ground floor to her room on the second floor.

James Montebon, 45, the victim’s father, said his eldest daughter—the victim’s only sibling—and his wife left the house at 6 a.m. A technician at the Mactan Electric Company, he did not go home from overtime work until 5 p.m. that day.

His eldest daughter had gone to Velez College where she studies while his wife had a seminar to attend.

The accountancy student was scheduled to take a school exam at 10:30 a.m. that day, James said.

He rushed his daughter to the Mactan Doctors’ Hospital, but she was declared dead on arrival.

Radoc said the body was already stiff when it was brought to the hospital, indicating that she might have been killed in the morning yet. She had bruises on her neck and face.

The attending physician, who examined the victim’s genitals and underwear, said she may have been raped, SPO2 Manolito Abellanosa said.

Radoc said that the girl was fully-clothed when she was found, and that rape didn’t seem to be the main intention of the suspect.

Radoc said they are looking into several angles, but he refused to give details.

Aside from her family, Radoc said they will talk with Montebon’s friends and classmates.

Mayor Paz Radaza called on the police to catch the killer or killers as soon as possible.

“As a mother, I can imagine the painful loss. Let us not allow her death to be in vain. I join all in seeking justice and in demanding for quick but clear answers,” she said in a text message.

“I call on witnesses to please cooperate... As a people, let us unite to quickly find Karen’s killers and bring them to justice,” she added.

The management of the subdivision replaced its security agency after the incident.

Security guards from JSL Security Agency were assigned in the subdivision yesterday.

Radoc lamented that investigators gathered no information from the security guards of Bisda Security Agency who were on duty at the time of the crime because they did not record the names or plate numbers of the vehicles entering the subdivision.

The subdivision did not have security cameras as well.

Security guard Bruno Menguito of the JSL Security Agency said all outsiders have been required to log in and secure stickers issued by the management.

The administration of USC held a mass yesterday for the slain student. Montebon’s wake was to be held in St. Peter’s Funeral Chapels on U.N. Ave. in Mandaue City.

Officials of the university urged students to wear black today to express indignation for the accounting student’s death.

Fr. Anthony Salas, SVD, USC’s vice president for academic affairs, told reporters that while the university has yet to issue an official statement on the incident, they condemned the attack.

“We feel very sad for what happened to one of our students. (What happened was) gruesome and indescribable,” Salas told reporters yesterday.

To express solidarity for Montebon and her family, Salas urged students to wear black today. “It is our way of expressing our indignation and a shout for justice for the senseless killing of one of our students,” Salas added.

Members of USC’s Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants (JPIA) also condemned the attack.

Bret Balbuena, USC-JPIA president, said they plan to ask for donations from the students and faculty members to assist Montebon’s family.

Balbuena also urged netizens to avoid reposting pictures of Montebon’s body on social media.

“It’s very common for some students who are too active in social media. We can show sympathy to the family by not showing her photos. The best we can do is to respect their privacy and pray for her eternal repose,” Balbuena added. (Sunnex)

Related articles

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Tullioz

• hyaku

• RogerDuMond

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a tragedy that a life so young should be taken away by a sick, deranged, piece of s*#t excuse for a human being. My heart goes out to her family who has to live with this loss. I just hope that t

Over a few material things, this girl's life came to an end.    What horrible, horrible creatures, humans can be.

Someone interested in justice for that crime needs to know more, a lot more. The problem is many people get caught up in the mob hysteria of an immediate arrest, leading to wrongful arrests, false con

Posted Images

Thanks for the follow up....i wondered why there was no update on the story, except the wear black day.....Very pretty kid and terribly sad..

• Like 2

Looks like there is now a suspect and possible motive.  Also, it does not appear now that the victim was raped.

CEBU CITY—The police were looking at personal grudge in the killing of a 17-year-old accountancy student on Tuesday.
Senior Supt. Armando Radoc, Lapu-Lapu City police director, said they were looking into reports that Karen Kaye Montebon fought with someone before she was killed.

He added they already had a suspect but didn’t say if the person was the one whom the victim had a fight with.

“We already have a suspect. A team is already conducting a pursuit,” he told a news conference on Thursday.

Montebon, a freshman accountancy student of the University of San Carlos in Cebu City, was found dead by her father, James, inside her room at their home in Corinthians Subdivision in Sitio Suba-Masulog, Barangay Basak in Lapu-Lapu City at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

Montebon had bruises and a cord of a hair straightener was tied around her neck.

Physicians at Mactan Doctors’ Hospital confirmed that she died of strangulation and there were lacerations on her sex organ.

Radoc clarified that they could not say with finality that the victim was raped because the laceration found by the physician was very small and located on the outer part of the organ.

Her hymen, he added, remained intact which indicated there was no penetration. 

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/723061/grudge-eyed-in-killing-of-17-year-old-student-in-cebu

colemanlee

What amazes me is not the death, as bad as it was, but those that seem to think its not normal here

• Like 1

What amazes me is not the death, as bad as it was, but those that seem to think its not normal here

It is certainly not unusual, that's for sure. The latest numbers I found on Davao City which only counted from January - May of this year showed there had already been 216 homicides and 4,585 assaults. That's a homicide every 17 hours on average and an assault every 47 minutes. There is no doubt that many of these included women/girls being raped and killed. And this is supposed to one of the safest cities in the world??? Lol... I also did a quick google search with "raped killed in Davao City" to find similar cases to the one in this thread and these headlines came up on the first page. While not identical, it does show that it is normal like you said. 

post-15209-0-19148600-1442516515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tullioz

it does not appear now that the victim was raped.

Well it's a different culture and they have a different way of investigating things.

First they make assumptions without evidence, in this case raped (wrong) killed with a straightener (wrong) dragged under the bed (wrong).

Then slowly they gather facts, that is if they aren't too busy lynching the first one arrested.

Especially high-profile cases, while they were busy arresting innocent people in the Ella Joy case based on multiple eye-witness statements, they were reporting that her organs were removed.

Man, you really like to argue with me don't you?

Well it's a different culture and they have a different way of investigating things.

Not really. Investigations are done here just like they are in most countries. Criminology courses are pretty standardized around the world.

First they make assumptions without evidence,

You mean this particular reporter made assumptions without evidence. Here is a headline and how it was reported from another sources:

Girl, 17, found dead in room
Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Police have yet to identify who killed Karen Kaye Montebon, whom her father found lying on the floor below her bed with a cord of a hair straightener tied around her neck past 5 p.m.

He rushed her to the Mactan Doctor’s Hospital but Montebon was declared dead on arrival.

Montebon sustained several bruises to her face and chest.

The attending physician, who examined the victim’s genitals and underwear, said she may have been raped, SPO2 Manolito Abellanosa said.

Radoc said that the girl was fully-clothed when she was found, and that rape didn’t seem to be the main intention of the suspect.

Radoc said they are looking into several angles, but he refused to give details.

Her iPad and DSLR camera were missing, leading the police to suspect that the gadgets contained sensitive information and have something do with the killing.

Senior Supt. Armando Radoc, chief of the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office, said robbery was an unlikely motive because there were more valuables in the house that could have been taken away.

Sounds like the police were pretty smart to think that the items taken my have contained evidence. And notice that rape was not really the focus. So as can be seen, it looks like the reporter rather than investigators was making assumptions.

Also, the picture that is floating around of the crime scene on social media and linked to in this thread is obviously from another case. First, do you think a father who walks in and sees his daughter's lifeless body on the floor is going to take the time to take a picture? While it would be good to do for evidence in the future, that is not what an average person would do in a situation like that. Since the story said he rushed her to the hospital that was unlikely. Second, the face is bloody and there is a puddle of blood behind and to the left of the head in the picture. If that was the same girl, that would have been reported somewhere and also in the autopsy. All the autopsy report said was bruising and the news reports say bruising to the face and chest. Had there been lacerations or cuts to cause the amount of bleeding shown in that picture, it would have been mentioned. The girl in the picture obviously had a major head wound.  And finally, if you look real close there appears to be more than one person in the room. A person standing on the left of the body, possibly one on the right as there appears to be a shoe near the knee and the person taking the picture appears to be pointing with their other hand. That doesn't jive with the father's testimony. Here is the link to the picture again  http://i.imgur.com/FbPAoeS.jpg(Warning Graphic)

in this case raped (wrong)

See above.

killed with a straightener (wrong)

She was found with the cord of a straightener around her neck by the father, but there was no way of immediately knowing if that was the cause of death without an autopsy.

dragged under the bed (wrong).

This is the first I heard that she was found under the bed. Every report I saw said the father found her lying on the floor below the bed. 

Then slowly they gather facts, that is if they aren't too busy lynching the first one arrested.

That's how investigations work. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes not. In the case where the guys were executed, they admitted to it and the families of both the victim and the accused were satisfied with the outcome.

Especially high-profile cases, while they were busy arresting innocent people in the Ella Joy case based on multiple eye-witness statements, they were reporting that her organs were removed.

High profile cases always seem to get drug out and rumors are always floating around in criminal cases. It is not just in the Philippines and sadly sometimes the accused has to go through a lot of hardship before they are acquitted if they are innocent. Fortunately those kind of cases are rare.

Edited by Tullioz
they admitted to it

Coerced confessions.  Civilized societies have something called due process.

Investigations are done here just like they are in most countries.

Tell it to Sven Erik Berger and Karen Esdrelon

Even the title of this thread wrongly says "Student raped", everything in the RP should be questioned whether  you understand it or not.

Edited by Raptor

Even the title of this thread wrongly says "Student raped", everything in the RP should be questioned whether  you understand it or not.

I question things regardless of what country I find myself in. Did you not notice how I questioned that picture? I am resting my case with my last comment as this is really not worth debating. A girl was murdered and hopefully the ones responsible will soon suffer the consequences. Personally I hope they never make it to the courtroom. If this would have happened here in Davao, they most likely wouldn't.

For Real

The case is well known with all the children in neighbouring schools and subdivisions. Young girls and their parents have reverted to living in fear. Placing water pipes, hammers and kitchen knives by the bed. Parking cars and motorcycles hard into doorways. Gated communities like Corinthians are considered safer than the usual communities.

This perp will be bought to justice? How do I know this? The Mayor has offered a 500,000 peso reward.

I hope they never make it to the courtroom

Courtrooms are how civilized people determine guilt or innocence of the accused, this isn't a backwards Muslim nation under barbaric Sharia law...oh wait, that's exactly what the Mindanao 'autonomous zone' is.

• Like 1

Man, you really like to argue with me don't you?

Not really. Investigations are done here just like they are in most countries. Criminology courses are pretty standardized around the world.

You mean this particular reporter made assumptions without evidence. Here is a headline and how it was reported from another sources:Girl, 17, found dead in room

Wednesday, September 16, 2015Police have yet to identify who killed Karen Kaye Montebon, whom her father found lying on the floor below her bed with a cord of a hair straightener tied around her neck past 5 p.m.He rushed her to the Mactan Doctor’s Hospital but Montebon was declared dead on arrival.Montebon sustained several bruises to her face and chest.The attending physician, who examined the victim’s genitals and underwear, said she may have been raped, SPO2 Manolito Abellanosa said.Radoc said that the girl was fully-clothed when she was found, and that rape didn’t seem to be the main intention of the suspect.Radoc said they are looking into several angles, but he refused to give details.Her iPad and DSLR camera were missing, leading the police to suspect that the gadgets contained sensitive information and have something do with the killing.Senior Supt. Armando Radoc, chief of the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office, said robbery was an unlikely motive because there were more valuables in the house that could have been taken away.

Sounds like the police were pretty smart to think that the items taken my have contained evidence. And notice that rape was not really the focus. So as can be seen, it looks like the reporter rather than investigators was making assumptions.

Also, the picture that is floating around of the crime scene on social media and linked to in this thread is obviously from another case. First, do you think a father who walks in and sees his daughter's lifeless body on the floor is going to take the time to take a picture? While it would be good to do for evidence in the future, that is not what an average person would do in a situation like that. Since the story said he rushed her to the hospital that was unlikely. Second, the face is bloody and there is a puddle of blood behind and to the left of the head in the picture. If that was the same girl, that would have been reported somewhere and also in the autopsy. All the autopsy report said was bruising and the news reports say bruising to the face and chest. Had there been lacerations or cuts to cause the amount of bleeding shown in that picture, it would have been mentioned. The girl in the picture obviously had a major head wound.  And finally, if you look real close there appears to be more than one person in the room. A person standing on the left of the body, possibly one on the right as there appears to be a shoe near the knee and the person taking the picture appears to be pointing with their other hand. That doesn't jive with the father's testimony. Here is the link to the picture again  http://i.imgur.com/FbPAoeS.jpg(Warning Graphic)

See above.

She was found with the cord of a straightener around her neck by the father, but there was no way of immediately knowing if that was the cause of death without an autopsy.

This is the first I heard that she was found under the bed. Every report I saw said the father found her lying on the floor below the bed. 

That's how investigations work. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes not. In the case where the guys were executed, they admitted to it and the families of both the victim and the accused were satisfied with the outcome.

High profile cases always seem to get drug out and rumors are always floating around in criminal cases. It is not just in the Philippines and sadly sometimes the accused has to go through a lot of hardship before they are acquitted if they are innocent. Fortunately those kind of cases are rare.

I am saddened and sickened by this tragic event. I know it is not the only time such horrific things happen, here or elsewhere. However, when a child is lost in such a horrible fashion, for whatever reason, it is hurtful. I can imagine the suffering the family is going through. I have school aged children and one attending college in Cebu. To read of a brutal attack like this in the safety of the child's home is terrible.

I am thankful to Tullioz for providing the information he has gathered. It is always frustrating to read reports here when reporters seem more like gossipers than reporters. Worse, it is disgusting to have details provided which are so unnecessary.

• Like 2

Lol please don't write things like this. :crazy:  I nearly choked on my cappuccino.   You obviously have not had much experience with the pulisiya, prosecuting attorneys and the legal system here.

All the info is from 'The press' who will write just anything to sell newspapers.

Its a really sad thing for me to hear anyway as I worked at San Carlos. They are good kids there. I would not even fancy making the daily trip from San Carlos to her home on a daily basis.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 2

All the info is from 'The press' who will write just anything to sell newspapers.

Like how they (and now this edited thread-title) continually state "student killed" in their headlines, as if it wouldn't matter as much if she was a "non-student" killed.

contraman

This perp will be bought to justice? How do I know this? The Mayor has offered a 500,000 peso reward.

Maybe it will be like the reward posted for the Bomber/s in Thailand.

The Reward went to the Police :idontknow:

• Like 1