Sign in to follow this  
heyjoe60

CPS needed in the Philippines

Salty Dog

Or you could just be a heartless bastard and not give a damn. Consider it natural selection.

Headshot

sorry but you aren't making any sense... :wheel:

Don't worry about it. People often make no sense here.

If you want, you can take pictures of them on their motorbike, but you should be VERY careful about how you handle it. If the yaya finds out it was you who got her fired, she will have you killed or framed for something far more serious.

I have often thought there should be an online "parenting wall of shame" for posting pictures of parents and other caregivers putting children at risk. In my neighborhood. there are often small children out on a road that is used by heavy trucks and motorbike going like bats out of hell. Parents who let their small children roam freely like that are no better than those who carry their small children and babies in dangerous positions on motorbikes.

• Like 1

Raptor

holding an INFANT high above the heads

Was it a parade? Next time take a pic.

rizla

It's a progression, at first babies were carried in a sling on mums back, next the family all rode on the back of a mule/ water buffalo etc, then motorised transport came into being, so the natural move was for the family to use that, as the country develops, so will their understanding of new dangers. It will change, just not in a few days/months/years.

It can be very hard to look at a third world, underdeveloped country with the eyes of a first world very developed country, without screaming out in horror and dismay at what we perceive as abuse.

In my honest opinion, if it affects someone so much, then perhaps they should stay in the first world. Understanding a culture that appears on the outside to be so uncaring, is often far from the reality, within their own community, we, as westerners just cannot comprehend that.

And no I am not condoning the stupidity of carrying too many or babies on motorcycles, it happens all over China too. 

Edited by rizla
  • Like 1

Davaoeno

If the yaya finds out it was you who got her fired, she will have you killed or framed for something far more serious.

Wow !!!   and this advice is on a public forum ??   

senseless

I didn't know there were so many good law-abiding folks in Manila.

I sense some anger here. Maybe Philippines isn't the place for you...?

Aren

Sure there is still a lot of crime. But after 6 years in cebu and 4 years in manila. I think I'm qualified to say It's been a lot better than cebu.

Regarding the anger -- It's true -- you either need to accept the stupidity of the people or go insane. There is no middle ground there.

If one would ask the lady about the child situation -- it was all completely justified in her head in one way or another. To her, she did nothing wrong. And it's one reason I will never have a nanny. I'm amazed at how common it is here to have nannies. All you need is a washing machine for clothes and dish washer -- then there is plenty of time to spend with your kid. Plus, a washing machine and dish washer are cheaper than hiring a person to do it in the long run (not to mention, harder working and more reliable).

Regarding CPS --

The conditions of CPS here would be more intolerable than anywhere else in the world.... More like prisons for children who have done nothing wrong except had the misfortune of being born here... I could imagine a lot of cases of children going missing / killed, forced prostitution, and slavery just to name a few... Group homes would turn into a breeding ground for criminal syndicates.

Edited by senseless

USMC-Retired

It's none of our business. Maybe so but then many would try and turn over kids for a better life out of poverty.

arentol

Sure there is still a lot of crime. But after 6 years in cebu and 4 years in manila. I think I'm qualified to say It's been a lot better than cebu.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting response, I'm wondering if you could elaborate on why crime in Manila is not as prevalent as in Cebu? 

By the way, mods, apologies if this veers too much off-topic -- feel free to create a new topic if warranted.

Regards,

Aren

Raptor

I'm amazed at how common it is here to have nannies. All you need is a washing machine for clothes and dish washer -- then there is plenty of time to spend with your kid.

Those appliances may replace a maid, but the point of a nanny is to watch the kids.

why crime in Manila is not as prevalent as in Cebu?

More people, more money, more opportunities, the more populated and popular cities always have a more brazen criminal element.

Skywalker

Those appliances may replace a maid, but the point of a nanny is to watch the kids.

And provide useful employment.

Servants are not objects of derision, or domestic facilitators, they should be a welcome part of the existing family unit.  I have a butler because as a businessman, I have an extensive administrative commercial workload, that precludes me from having the time to concern myself with the day to day issues of running my home.

It also gets up the noses of the more precious members.

Families packed onto motorbikes with little safety concerns - if that bugs you, you haven't travelled much.  If you interfere, you'll quickly discover that your well meant intentions would be better served as a suppository in a Chiang Mai elephant farm.

• Like 4

Davaoeno

Servants are not objects of derision, or domestic facilitators, they should be a welcome part of the existing family unit.  I have a butler because as a businessman, I have an extensive administrative commercial workload, that precludes me from having the time to concern myself with the day to day issues of running my home.

ok now - I put up with the Psych 101 analysis of the American national anthem and God Save the Queen - I even gave you a like, but now you are going too far !!    So preclude that and your extensive administrative commercial workload !!! 

• Like 1

Skywalker

So preclude that and your extensive administrative commercial workload !!! 

*Gasp*

If you cut me, do I not bleed?   :morn:

• Like 3

rizla

Maybe some confuse the meaning of butler with nanny/housekeeper??

Jeeves and Wooster spring to mind :baby:

• Like 2

Headshot

*Gasp*

If you cut me, do I not bleed?   :morn:

Sure, but what color...green?

cebulover2000

And provide useful employment.

It also gets up the noses of the more precious members.

Families packed onto motorbikes with little safety concerns - if that bugs you, you haven't travelled much.  If you interfere, you'll quickly discover that your well meant intentions would be better served as a suppository in a Chiang Mai elephant farm.

Butler or assistant? Butler sounds like personal grooming, handing you the tissue when you need it.

Seriously, I had a personal assistant/bodyguard when I first came here. You give away your freedom and privacy plus you never know what's going on inside a persons head with all consequences involved.