Learning English

Scotsbloke

I will use these to teach my girl how to read in English. She is very motivated about learning to read.

Good man, Mikey.  There's nothing better than putting your wee lassie on your lap and reading her stories.

Young children have minds like a sponge - they can learn more than one language easily and very quickly, but it is important that they can separate them - not speaking a mixture of both.

Ozy, I think kids are able to make their own separation.  My three had an easy facility in both my and their mother's languages but would pop a word in now and then when they couldn't think of the equivalent.  They knew what they were doing!

I have always thought the English spoken by educated people from Edinburgh as one of the clearest to understand, can you ken that?

Edinburgh?  East coast shite with a crap accent.  This does, though, give me an excuse to post (again) a thoroughly enjoyable YTube clip:

• Like 3
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rizla

• Davaoeno

• colemanlee

• JohnD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We used to live on the west side of the island and our daughter (5 at the time) was enrolled in USJ Balamban campus. At the time of enrollment, the principal assured us repeatedly that all courses are

This is actually an interesting and important topic even for all Filipino families. One of the facts are the quality of English language teaching and skills has been going down for many years as was r

When I lived in AC, I met a teacher who, I was told, taught English at the local school.   She told me that, "my English wasnt good enough and wasnt what she told the children"   Aww heck, I had o

There are some good home schooling programs online that have a curriculum with printouts for teaching English.

Could you  point me to some you might recommend?

I have a 4 1/2 year old.

KonC

HeyMike

Could you  point me to some you might recommend?

I have a 4 1/2 year old.

KonC

These are the ones that I found that seem pretty good, but there are many out there,

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html

http://shared.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/lotw/PrekLessonPlansSample.pdf

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2013/10/daily-homeschool-schedule-preschool.html

http://www.kidslearningstation.com/preschool/alphabet-worksheets.asp

You have to search around on the pages and modify things to suit your needs for the children. Hope this helps.

Edited by HeyMike
  • Like 1

I'll check those out Mike.

I've already started looking for a simple printer.

Thanks for the heads up.

KonC

• 3 months later...

i have a similar problem with the english taught at my sons school. They claim they teach in english, yet his english skills are poor at best and when I talk with the teachers at his school I know why.

He is now 15 and in the 9th grade, in two years we intend to go to the U.S. I think it's going to be real hard for him to adjust there as a Junior or Senior in high school without a better understanding of the English language.

Thinking about hiring a tutor.

I have a five year old here in NY. Let me tell you school is much more intense today than it was when you and I went. My sons whole class is reading books. Simple books perhaps but they are in the middle of Kindgerden where I was at the end of first grade. If you think he might need a tutor you best get a good one sooner rather than later.

Im accused of speaking slang all the time...by Filipinos....I suppose its my US Southern accent...what I cant figure out is what version of the English language do they not consider slang...Northern, MidWest, West Coast US English or Aussie English, Brit English or is it just Filipino English that is not slang...inquiring minds want to know... :db:

There are plenty of places in Britain where the English language is hard to understand even by other Brits..... for centuries in the UK, many towns and villages only got news from the official town crier, or returning soldiers who had found a wife elsewhere.... so accents and parochial attitudes developed.

in my local town, i grew up calling the garbage bin.... a Miskin.,     ...bowl....bowell, ....            you ....yo,       brother....ah kid.... and many more...

when i went to the army.....the accents and different words and sounds from around the country were amazing...... 

up north, they said    Gan yam.... going home

Scots...... god knows what they said half the time.. (Joke guys)... hahahaah

Strangely enough, i once recall a competition or study whereby the best spoken English was deemed to be  Edinburgh   ( Scotland ) followed closely by Dublin ( Ireland ) i have thought of that whenever i meet people from those places an sure enough there is a distinct clarity in their speaking.

I agree with previous posters, kids have an amazing knack of learning languages.... i am jealous, i have trouble speaking one, .

We are experimenting at the moment with teaching the kids in the village to touch type.... having a lot of fun with competitions etc..... we use one of my old desk tops and they love it.... their speed and English is improving dramatically and i believe this will help them big time in the future if for example they can hit high school and  touch type at better than 29 words per minute....with good spelling and few mistakes.

• Like 2

Im accused of speaking slang all the time...by Filipinos....I suppose its my US Southern accent...what I cant figure out is what version of the English language do they not consider slang...Northern, MidWest, West Coast US English or Aussie English, Brit English or is it just Filipino English that is not slang...inquiring minds want to know... :db:

The gold standard English used to be "BBC English"

But these days, anything goes!

• Like 1
JohnSurrey

For your further information...

We have two children, the 3 year old boy who's now been at the "English Speaking" nursery for about 3 months and an 18 month year old girl who's still just at home with us.

I feel a bit sorry for our 3 year old because the younger one is obviously far more social, more communicative and probably a lot cleverer than he is... her English is really good but then again she really takes the opportunity to practice what she's learned and repeat it and/or adapt it to new situations.

So I guess it very much depends on the child... I'm hoping the boy will learn to speak a bit better but the truth is he is pig-headed and it's hard work trying to make him listen and repeat (probably an age thing!)... the little girl is easy she just takes it all in and uses it almost perfectly.

As an aside I'm finding it useful for my wife too... I mean I can correct the three year old who makes the same mistakes she does.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

her English is really good but then again she really takes the opportunity to practice what she's learned and repeat it and/or adapt it to new situations.

thats pretty impressive for an 18 month old 

Scotsbloke

For your further information...

We have two children, the 3 year old boy who's now been at the "English Speaking" nursery for about 3 months and an 18 month year old girl who's still just at home with us.

I feel a bit sorry for our 3 year old because the younger one is obviously far more social, more communicative and probably a lot cleverer than he is... her English is really good but then again she really takes the opportunity to practice what she's learned and repeat it and/or adapt it to new situations.

So I guess it very much depends on the child... I'm hoping the boy will learn to speak a bit better but the truth is he is pig-headed and it's hard work trying to make him listen and repeat (probably an age thing!)... the little girl is easy she just takes it all in and uses it almost perfectly.

As an aside I'm finding it useful for my wife too... I mean I can correct the three year old who makes the same mistakes she does.

John, it could be that your son is a slow learner.  Certainly my son was slower than the girls at almost everything.

What is certainly true is that, in a few years, your kids will start correcting your Mrs' English and she will be narked by it!