Learning English

English "prof" was teaching them accents

This is why real professional teachers cannot get jobs teaching English in the Philippines, make me so angry :banghead:

It is never the job of a native English teacher to teach accents, dialects or even local slang, their job is to teach clear, understandable, communication and encourage, motivate their students.

• Like 2
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rizla

• colemanlee

• JohnD

• HeyMike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We used to live on the west side of the island and our daughter (5 at the time) was enrolled in USJ Balamban campus. At the time of enrollment, the principal assured us repeatedly that all courses are

This is actually an interesting and important topic even for all Filipino families. One of the facts are the quality of English language teaching and skills has been going down for many years as was r

When I lived in AC, I met a teacher who, I was told, taught English at the local school.   She told me that, "my English wasnt good enough and wasnt what she told the children"   Aww heck, I had o

I was giving the "Mother Tongue" some thought the other day, mostly trying to figure out why anybody would pass a law that basically keeps huge segments of the country from being able to communicate with each other.  

Here its Waray Waray, in Cebu and the west part of Leyte its Bisayan, and a cast of thousands elsewhere...now many say its only for the first few years in school but in reality it continues for the rest of their life..

When we were in AC, the wife told me they were speaking something called Kapangan and it was completely different from Waray

So why would you do that when its widely advertised that the national languages are Tagalog and English?

Could the answer be the dumbing down of the populace? Keeping the different segments from being able to communicate would go a long way from there ever being a national uprising on the order of EDSA...thus maintaining the status quo....

There are 120 different languages here under the classification of Filipino language that and English which is the legal language of the country. I'm told the only reason tagalog came in at two was because it was the language spoken by the Tagalogs in the capital. There are far more that speak Bisaya. It would be a good idea to teach more Japanese here. With the older population they will be crying out for help soon. One thing for sure is they wont be asking Koreans or Chinese to work. Too much bad blood

you mean things like paella, pollo,  chiles relleno , and tapas  ?

Spanish was the official language of the Philippines from the beginning of Spanish rule in the late 16th century, through the conclusion of the Spanish–American War in 1898. It remained, along with English, as a de facto official language until removed in 1973 by a constitutional change. After a few months it was re-designated an official language by presidential decree and remained official until 1987, when the present Constitutionremoved its official status, designating it instead as an optional language.[1][2]

If only Spanish had remained the mother tongue of the Philippines, it would have made living there so much easier.

s.

As someone else said, where in phils is it ever simple?

It might have been the official language but if you went back to Cebu in say 1880 they were not teaching it in public schools. Most areas and education were run by monastic orders who keep the locals ignorant on purpose. 

Spanish was never the mother language except for the elite. 

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 3
rainymike

Although I don't agree with it, there is an underlying educational logic to the use of mother tongue in the first few years of school.  Here's a link to the country's curriculum with respect to the English language. Personally, I don't think what this country is trying to do with the entire national curriculum is a bad thing. The devil is in trying to do it without adequate resources and preparation. In any event, if you're planning to raise kids in this country, it probably makes sense for you to try to understand what they're trying to do. You can pretty much find the entire curriculum at this site. Expect to fill in the gaps.

http://www.gov.ph/k-12/

• Like 2

If memory serves, Noynoy made a govt order that all schools are to now teach the kids in their mother tongue. I would say that is anti foreigner wouldn't you? If call centers need good English speakers, why is the govt trying to stone wall and torpedo that?

I would say it's pro culture.  How can you learn math or other subjects in a foreign language when they don't do a very good job of teaching the foreign language?

contraman

Although I don't agree with it, there is an underlying educational logic to the use of mother tongue in the first few years of school.  Here's a link to the country's curriculum with respect to the English language. Personally, I don't think what this country is trying to do with the entire national curriculum is a bad thing. The devil is in trying to do it without adequate resources and preparation. In any event, if you're planning to raise kids in this country, it probably makes sense for you to try to understand what they're trying to do. You can pretty much find the entire curriculum at this site. Expect to fill in the gaps.

http://www.gov.ph/k-12/

There are many laws and mandates on how things should be done, But,

Since when is any law or direction followed in the PI ?   :idontknow:

When I lived in AC, I met a teacher who, I was told, taught English at the local school.

She told me that, "my English wasnt good enough and wasnt what she told the children"

Aww heck, I had only been speaking it for half-a-century, mainly in the UK, and got some (basic) qualifications in it, so I guess I had been speaking inbcorrectly  all that time!

• Like 5
Headshot

I guess I had been speaking inbcorrectly  all that time!

Well...at least you finally realized it, so you could seek some help... :cool:

• Like 1

When I lived in AC, I met a teacher who, I was told, taught English at the local school.

She told me that, "my English wasnt good enough and wasnt what she told the children"

Aww heck, I had only been speaking it for half-a-century, mainly in the UK, and got some (basic) qualifications in it, so I guess I had been speaking inbcorrectly  all that time!

England and the United States......two countries separated by a common language. 

• Like 1
colemanlee

Im accused of speaking slang all the time...by Filipinos....I suppose its my US Southern accent...what I cant figure out is what version of the English language do they not consider slang...Northern, MidWest, West Coast US English or Aussie English, Brit English or is it just Filipino English that is not slang...inquiring minds want to know... :db:

• Like 1

Talking about kids other than those that live with you, even if taught in basic English, they really need to also not revert back to say Bisaya at home or with friends......my semi adopted 2 kids who lived with us for 5 years learnt to speak reasonably well, but 2 years after we left, they seem to have lost the confidence, when on Skype.....funny thing is a lot of kids seem to be able to read and write well enough.....

But they sure excel at singing, dancing and this majorette caper with the girls......also they need more sport involvement.

In all fairness, how many of us try to learn Bisayan ?..... apart from a few words,  I have tried and am still trying I find it very difficult  ( maybe i am lazy )  what i have noticed is kids are not so shy in English if they see you making a pratt of yourself in their language....

the fact is the English language is the language of commerce.... the chinese are busting a gut to learn our language Particularly their students. as are the Koreans and Japanese and many middle eastern countries....

Common sense would tell me that kids could spend more time learning English at school because almost for sure they will get lots of practice in their mother tongue at home and with friends.  The technical side of language and grammar can always come later... ( wonder how many of us can quote the meaning of an adjectival clause ? )  we as English native speakers can often say words without knowing why we say them, it just comes naturally....

Bisayan speakers hone their tagalog skills by watching all the soapies on tv.

As an end note and to compliment the locals,  it is not uncommon in my experience to meet kids here in Cebu who are fluent in Bisayan, Tagalog and English well before their 10th birthday......

Although a long way back i can remember meeting some Irish relatives (who spoke English)  when i was about that age and could hardly understand a word they said !!    :frantic:

• Like 3

Yes i agree......suppose we should start learning Arabic as well..........

Davaoeno

Im accused of speaking slang all the time...by Filipinos....I suppose its my US Southern accent...what I cant figure out is what version of the English language do they not consider slang...Northern, MidWest, West Coast US English or Aussie English, Brit English or is it just Filipino English that is not slang...inquiring minds want to know... :db:

In a word - Canadian !!   [ well not those from the Atlantic provinces or Quebec or Nunavut or the Yukon or Northwest Territories or Toronto !!  ]

• Like 3