Resident Member Health Emergency Survey  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is your marital status?

• Single, living alone
    • Single, living with GF
    • Married, not living with spouse
    • Married, living with spouse
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. How would you fund a medical emergency? (multiple choices allowed)

• I have money in-country that could be accessed immediately
    • I have money out-of-country that could be accessed within a day or so
    • I have insurance that would pay immediately
    • I have insurance, but I have to pay first and get reimbursed
    • I have a high-limit credit card (s) that could be immediately accessed
    • I have only what I live on
    • I have friends or relatives who would help
    • I hope I have friends or relatives who would help
    • Fund a what?
    • Other (please explain)
    • I have insurance, but it would only pay partial when I am released
  3. 3. Who has access to the resources that you would need to be treated immediately?

• Only me
    • Me and my wife
    • Me and my GF
    • Nobody
    • Hopefully, God will provide
    • Other (please explain)
  4. 4. If there was a LinC Forum Health Emergency Fund, would you contribute?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if funds had to be repaid after the emergency
    • Yes, but only if only members who contributed to the fund were allowed to access the fund
    • Other (please explain)
  5. 5. How can repayment be ensured?

• A signed contract with collateral (if the member is conscious or by the spouse)
    • A signed contract without collateral (if the member is conscious or by the spouse)
    • It can't be ensured
    • Other (please explain)

Headshot

It seems like requests for help (and some where help was obviously needed but not requested) lately, and we don't want fund-raising to become a primary function of LinC Forums. Therefore, we are looking at funds (such as the LinC Sick Children's Fund) to allow members to contribute without having appeals in the open forums all of the time.

Some of us have been discussing the possibility of an medical emergency fund for medical emergencies (for LinC Forums members only), and your input is welcome. We foresee such a fund as being on a loan basis, rather than on a gift basis. The fund has to be basically self-sustaining once it is set up. To see if such a fund would even be a possibility, more information is needed. Please fill out the survey, and give whatever comments you would like. Please explain anything where your answer doesn't match any of the choices.

I don't know if this will actually get off the ground, but I think it warrants further discussion to see if it is feasible, and to possibly uncover problems that might arise. The only way I can see to do that is to open it up to member discussion. If I have missed important questions, let me know that too. The forum only allows five questions in a survey, so we would have to set up an additional survey for any additional questions.

This is just in the discussion phase, so please don't think this is an existing program. It will only be created if it actually makes sense.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

dnl_grout

#3-Who has access to the resources...I have no wife or girl friend just one long term local friend that I trust with money. If I'm not in the Cebu city local area I better have the cash

or credit card in hand cause no watcher. 

#4-Yes I would contribute...but only members who contributed.

#5-Contract with out collateral...just as a way to keep track who owes what. If the member dies contract or not getting back from spouse or girl friend is a pipe dream, its the Philippines. On the other hand if its just members the chances of repayment by there wives is a good bet cause many here know each other as friends. And the wife is left with plenty assets and money if he passes.

If its a revolving fund capitalized by members donations most will never use it. But would be a great relief having the bill payed as I leave the hospital seeing the light of day again. A few days time to get the 100,000P or more together and say thank you so much, my faith in humanity partly restored.

hilyfe

Q What is your marital status?

A Single and ready to mingle

Q How would you fund a medical emergency? (multiple choices allowed)

A We have businesses in phils.

Q Who has access to the resources that you would need to be treated immediately?

A And those people taking care of it can have access to those accounts

Q If there was a LinC Forum Health Emergency Fund, would you contribute?

A yes but only if Yes, but only if funds had to be repaid after the emergency 

This is a must

Or else itll end up drying out the funds

Q How can repayment be ensured?

A im ok with taking his word for it

But if he doesnt keep his word

His out of that emergency funds

No matter what his next excuse itll be

Headshot

I opened the posts so that members could explain their answers on the poll. That is the ONLY reason to post in this topic. All other posts will be deleted. This topic is a poll on member circumstances and needs. The topic is the questions asked in the poll. It is NOT about the viability or justification for an emergency fund, since we didn't ask those questions yet. I'm sure that before Alan decides to go ahead with the fund (if he does), he will ask for further input. We appreciate members participating in the poll, but if a member doesn't wish to participate in the poll for whatever reason, that is their business. Answering the poll questions commits you to nothing. The answers are anonymous (unless you explain them in a comment).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

jtmwatchbiz

i voted and encourage everyone to vote as well.  this is an important issue and the data collected will help formulate any future fund drives. 

the last question i voted "other" as i think in emergency situations there will be no time to secure a loan.  if a member needs immediate EMERGENCY help then it should be provided and then when the member is admitted to the emergency care facility a longer range plan can be worked out for further funding.

• Like 3

Bazza

It is commendable that such things are considered,

But I would not be in favor of such a scheme and have voted likewise.

People should be responsible for there own situations :twocents:

Headshot

It is commendable that such things are considered,

But I would not be in favor of such a scheme and have voted likewise.

People should be responsible for there own situations :twocents:

This isn't a vote. It's just a survey.

PIM

ALL expats living the Philippines should have PhilHealth cover. (Yes, you are eligible.) That will get them treated in most major hospitals. They should also have reasonably ready access to further funds to cover their medical, either full health insurance or a substantial nest egg.

I have PhilHealth, full health insurance, and a substantial nest egg. I would not be interested in such a scheme.

Alan S

I agree that expats etc should take responsibility for their own lives, but there can also be situations that the best organised person cannot allow for.

Let me just cite a couple of possibilities.

1) You are involved in a traffic accident.

Whilst laid on the road, some kind soul helps themselves to your wallet, including your cash, cards etc,

Well, if you are married, your wife might help resolve any problems. If she has the cash available.

2) You could be just visiting, and are mugged losing your wallet and passport. 

No problem. You can easily get a new passport from the Embassy.  

But.

That is in Manila and you are in Cebu. How to get to Manila? You sure as hell arent going to walk!

3). You are taken ill and even though you have medical insurance, the hospital wants CASH for the medicines that you need, plus you want to eat each day and food isnt provided.

THAT is the time you will need cash, and possibly more than you have available to you.

(Such things always happen at weekends or bank holidays when you cant draw out any money!)

Now, the last one might not be a problem if it is a major hospital in Ceby city.

But if it isnt...?

So, if you can GUARANTEE that you will never be involved in a traffic accident, get mugged or are going to be taken ill when not close to a main hospital, then you are one of the lucky ones who will not need the support that is being discussed.

On the other hand, I suspect (and the survey makes it clear) that a lot of people could have trouble finding ready cash in an emergency.

• Like 4

contraman

Looks like you are going to be busy deleting even more posts :idontknow:

• Like 3

cebulover2000

I would contribute but only if paying members would only benefit, otherwise I would just not contribute, only benefit.

Bazza

ALL expats living the Philippines should have PhilHealth cover. (Yes, you are eligible.) That will get them treated in most major hospitals. They should also have reasonably ready access to further funds to cover their medical, either full health insurance or a substantial nest egg.

I have PhilHealth, full health insurance, and a substantial nest egg. I would not be interested in such a scheme.

I agree that expats etc should take responsibility for their own lives, but there can also be situations that the best organised person cannot allow for.

Let me just cite a couple of possibilities.

1) You are involved in a traffic accident.

Whilst laid on the road, some kind soul helps themselves to your wallet, including your cash, cards etc,

Well, if you are married, your wife might help resolve any problems. If she has the cash available.

2) You could be just visiting, and are mugged losing your wallet and passport. 

No problem. You can easily get a new passport from the Embassy.  

But.

That is in Manila and you are in Cebu. How to get to Manila? You sure as hell arent going to walk!

3). You are taken ill and even though you have medical insurance, the hospital wants CASH for the medicines that you need, plus you want to eat each day and food isnt provided.

THAT is the time you will need cash, and possibly more than you have available to you.

(Such things always happen at weekends or bank holidays when you cant draw out any money!)

Now, the last one might not be a problem if it is a major hospital in Ceby city.

But if it isnt...?

So, if you can GUARANTEE that you will never be involved in a traffic accident, get mugged or are going to be taken ill when not close to a main hospital, then you are one of the lucky ones who will not need the support that is being discussed.

On the other hand, I suspect (and the survey makes it clear) that a lot of people could have trouble finding ready cash in an emergency.

I would contribute but only if paying members would only benefit, otherwise I would just not contribute, only benefit.

i voted and encourage everyone to vote as well.  this is an important issue and the data collected will help formulate any future fund drives. 

the last question i voted "other" as i think in emergency situations there will be no time to secure a loan.  if a member needs immediate EMERGENCY help then it should be provided and then when the member is admitted to the emergency care facility a longer range plan can be worked out for further funding.

I opened the posts so that members could explain their answers on the poll. That is the ONLY reason to post in this topic. All other posts will be deleted. This topic is a poll on member circumstances and needs. The topic is the questions asked in the poll. It is NOT about the viability or justification for an emergency fund, since we didn't ask those questions yet. I'm sure that before Alan decides to go ahead with the fund (if he does), he will ask for further input. We appreciate members participating in the poll, but if a member doesn't wish to participate in the poll for whatever reason, that is their business. Answering the poll questions commits you to nothing. The answers are anonymous (unless you explain them in a comment).

Well that went well didn't it  :yahoo:

Ozbrum

The people who came up with this should be commended for thinking of their friends here at LINC...Who may be less fortunate than others. Repayment of monies even on a time payment would need to be imperative otherwise the premiums would need to allow for risk factors and thus be greater than needs be.

1 ) we could make it mandatory that each participant has membership of Philhealth..... easy process and well worth it....perhaps a member or two can offer guidelines regarding joining.

2 )  Perhaps one of the insurance companies we are familiar with, may have an insurance component which could cover this possibility.... i.e. the need for emergency funds....

Just a couple of ideas..

though i have myself covered , i would be in.

Alan S

Some of us are now discussing the results and the comments.

When there is any further news we will let everyone know.

• Like 1