Any Problem Customs Opening Forex Boxes

My wife has gotten hesistant to send a number of boxes to the Phils. It's the usual stuff we send. Supplies, canned goods, dishes silverwear, batteries, clothes,,,etc etc. Used chidlren's toys.

There are a couple of PC's, large Win 7 computers with mouse and keyboards.

I wanted to get this stuff out of the house.

The local guy we deal with for our Forex shipping is not answering any messages.

Thanks

Fred

JamesMusslewhite

I have sent over 60 BB boxes using Forex over the years and only one time was a box opened by customs and that was because it was x-rayed and I had some air rifles and BB pistols in the box which looked like firearms. I paid an extra 2,500php in customs fees and that box was delivered. I shipped PCs, power tools, electronics, household item, etc. Forex is the best, have their own warehousing and distribution network so your stuff should do fine. There is a website and you should have a tracking number so you can monitor your shipped items as well as numbers to the warehouses here. We had posted our stuff to be delivered to our farm on Dinagat Island but chose to stay in Surigao City so our son could attend Caraga Regional High School. We contacted the warehouse and requested that our shipment of 42 boxes be rerouted to our new address, this they did with out and problems. Forex also does something else that I like, when you send a box the deliverer will take a photo of the person who signs for the delivery, this photo as well as a copy of the Bill of Laden is then mailed to the sender. This allows the sender to know just who received the shipped box(s) just in case there is a dispute.    

There are a lot of shippers of BB boxes but Forex is still one of the very best.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/534185/news/nation/pnoy-stops-customs-inspections-of-balikbayan-boxes

USE X-RAYS, K-9S INSTEAD

PNoy stops Customs inspections of balikbayan boxes

August 24, 2015 8:55pm

Tags: balikbayanboxes, benignoaquinoiii, departmentoffinance, bureauofcustoms

- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/534185/news/nation/pnoy-stops-customs-inspections-of-balikbayan-boxes#sthash.8ayhtdsA.dpuf

President Benigno Aquino III has given instructions for the Bureau of Customs to stop the physical inspections of balikbayan boxes unless X-ray and K-9 examinations give rise to suspicions that they contain prohibited items.

The decision came after Aquino met with Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima and Bureau of Customs Commissioner Alberto Lina on Monday afternoon.

"Kung merong derogatory findings tsaka lang bubuksan. Iyan ang naging payo ng ating Pangulo at naging desisyon ni Secretary Purisima," Lina said in an interview in GMA News TV's State of the Nation with Jessica Soho. 

If Customs will conduct a physical inspection, Aquino said that it should request that an Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) representative or a designated officer of an OFW Association be present with provisions for CCTV monitoring of the inspection areas.

Employees who violate the protocols and engage in pilferage will be prosecuted and punished, according to Aquino's instructions. He also encouraged the public to submit videos and photographic evidence of illegal acts to Lina.

The DOF said that there is an estimated 1,500 containers of balikbayan boxes coming through Customs a month, translating to around 18,000 containers a year or around 7.2 million boxes. 

In a statement, the DOF said that all containers of balikbayan boxes will undergo mandatory X-ray and K-9 examination — at no cost to the sender or the overseas Filipino workers.

Customs will only conduct a physical inspection of goods if there are derogatory findings from the X-ray or K-9 examination.

According to the statement, Aquino emphasized that OFW families view the balikbayan box as an integral part of the family relationship to nurture loved ones at home, a "tangible sign of their love and concern for their family members."

Earlier, OFWs took to social media to criticize the BOC's more stringent implementation of the balikbayan box inspections.

Smuggling

Lina said the government may have had a "change of heart" for the sake of the OFWs, but he stressed that his agency will continue chasing after smugglers. 

"Maaaring lumambot kami alang-alang sa OFW pero hindi nawala ang ating gagawin bilang commissioner ng Customs kasi meron din tayong law to protect the country," Lina said. 

In its statement, the DOF noted instances when unscrupulous individuals used balikbayan boxes to break the law.

Gun parts, ammunition and gun accessories were found in seven balikbayan boxes, while 81,529 tablets of anti-anxiety drugs were misdeclared as food supplements in November 2014. Some 413 Casio G-Shock watches and even a custom Harley Davidson Chopper motorcycle of a Hollywood scriptwriter in 2011, among other high end car parts, were also delivered through balikbayan boxes. 

Lina earlier claimed that the country loses P50 million in revenues a month due to technical smuggling through the balikbayan boxes. Trisha Macas/NB/JST, GMA News
- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/534185/news/nation/pnoy-stops-customs-inspections-of-balikbayan-boxes#sthash.8ayhtdsA.dpuf
Edited by SkyMan

My wife has gotten hesistant to send a number of boxes to the Phils.
I would suggest sending 1 a week so they aren't all in the same shipment.

I sent a total of 15. 8 in the first shipment through forex. Nothing was inspected. The boxes also included computers and electronic equipment.

• Like 2
Thalcoozyo

I sent a total of 15. 8 in the first shipment through forex. Nothing was inspected. The boxes also included computers and electronic equipment.

Yes, but when was this?  In the past few weeks, as you are all aware, things are a-changin'. I do not KNOW the current status. But from what I'm seeing on ABS-CBN news, it seems that Customs is now xraying boxes and then diggin' into them when they suspect there is enough contents that would trigger additional fees.  Several computers, it would seem, would fall into the category of triggering additional fees.  If it were me, I'd either hold off until the dust settles, and you know for sure what Customs is doing...or.... split 'em up into several separate shipments and just cross your fingers hoping that they don't trigger an inspection.  That could, however, be an expensive risk to take.

Yeah you're right. The boxes were sent last year. I think I'd hold off too in the wake of everything.

Edited to add: last year wasn't strict at all in my case. I clearly stated that I was sending two computers and stated their true worth, I also sent two big screen tv's in their original boxes and stated true worth and was never taxed extra or had them open them. I was very nervous to say the least because of all the news of theft in Balikbayan boxes.

Edited by dan.wayfare
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, customs is now opening boxes. Especially ones from the US. I just sent one about a month ago. My in-laws received a bill for import duties on the stuff I sent. This is the first time that this has happnend. It may not happen to you but just be cognizant that customs is checking now. There is a big uproar in the PI about this now. Hopefully the people will get customs to back off. I am going to send another box to test the waters and see if they have backed off. I also saw something on the news where they were checking peoples luggage more at the airport as well.

Thalcoozyo

I also saw something on the news where they were checking peoples luggage more at the airport as well.

Please expand.  In context with the rest of the thread, this implies Customs might be assessing fees for personal items... which I highly doubt.  However, if you mean that the person whose luggage contains 5 brand new computers... well, that is another story.

Yes, customs is now opening boxes. Especially ones from the US. I just sent one about a month ago. My in-laws received a bill for import duties on the stuff I sent. This is the first time that this has happnend. It may not happen to you but just be cognizant that customs is checking now. There is a big uproar in the PI about this now. Hopefully the people will get customs to back off. I am going to send another box to test the waters and see if they have backed off. I also saw something on the news where they were checking peoples luggage more at the airport as well.

If you don't might revealing, what items are they taxing and how much?
contraman

President Benigno Aquino III has given instructions for the Bureau of Customs to stop the physical inspections of balikbayan boxes unless X-ray and K-9 examinations give rise to suspicions that they contain prohibited items.

So I guess it depends upon what the Xray reveals.

The out for them is:-

Or what the customs people suspect they saw  :idontknow:

Headshot

The x-ray and canine inspections are now by shipping container...not by BB Box. Customs is now not allowed to open the shipping container unless the x-ray or canine inspections show contraband. Without a hit, the container is to continue on to its destination unopened. I believe that if Customs inspectors do open a container, they must open every box in the container. However, there had better be actual contraband in the container if they open it. Aquino signed the order because of all the theft that has been attributed to Customs inspectors. No containers are to be opened without good cause.

Edited by Headshot
woodchopper

i think from memory they get 320 lbc boxes in the container that leaves sydney regular,,good earner eh

contraman
No containers are to be opened without good cause.

Yes, I believe that will happen :sarcasm:

Edited by contraman