Good health insurance in philippines?

angbumabasa

I wouldn't recommend Philhealth as the primary health insurance for anyone who can afford something better, but it can't be beat for a supplemental plan or primary if you can't afford a private company.  The bang for the buck is unbeatable!

I totally agree. My primary is FEHB, which has almost no coverage here in Visayas outside of Cebu, except for pharmacy.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monsoon

• cebulover2000

• senseless

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting post where the Philhealth costs are broken down.   http://mindanaobob.com/blog/2014/03/28/medical-costs-philhealth/   Medical Costs & PhilHealth   MARCH 28, 2014  BY ROBERT MAR

I had never had any illness apart from the usual childhood ailments.   Then, one day I was out with a pal in his car and I collapsed. Fortunatley we were just passing a major hospital so said pal d

I use blue cross philippines USD (Plan A) with no deductible. I pay nothing for most of our medical needs. There have been 3 hospitalizations since our insurance started and they were amazing every ti

Posted Images

I'm amazed - I e-mailed Blue Cross, asking if they had policies for 80 year-olds (it wasn't apparent on their website)

They replied next day with a quote and more information! - and written in good Enlish, whatsmore!

That level of customer service is difficult to find anywhere these days (even in Oz!)

• Like 1

I totally agree. My primary is FEHB, which has almost no coverage here in Visayas outside of Cebu, except for pharmacy.

From what I have understood, the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan has several choices of coverage for permanent residents outside the USA. Blue cross blue shield, mail handlers and foreign service plans are three I recall.

These plans are not available except to federal employees or annuitants and their dependents so this is not something all LinC members can obtain.

In fact, the benefits under FEHBP are in some ways better while living overseas as the providers are considered to be preferred providers with a better coverage. The main issue is that ......SOME .....hospitals and care providers will not make direct billing so the insured ......MAY HAVE to pay up front and get reimbursed later.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 1
angbumabasa

The main issue is that hospitals and care providers will not make direct billing so the insured has to pay up front and get reimbursed later.

Negative. In 2012, while in Cebu Doctors Hospital, payments were made immediately, direct to the hospital. However, pharmacy in Maasin is paid by us then reimbursed. 

Davaoeno

All of us are Canadian citizens and well covered while in Canada (or the US for that matter, hehe)

I am intrigued by what province you live in where your coverage covers medical costs in the US ?  Have you advised your insurer that you are living outside the country ?  Most provinces have very specific requirements if you want to make a claim and are out of the country for any length of time

• Like 1

Negative. In 2012, while in Cebu Doctors Hospital, payments were made immediately, direct to the hospital. However, pharmacy in Maasin is paid by us then reimbursed.

Previous post was edited.

I know that Chong Hua, Ormoc Doctors, Ormoc Farmers Medical Center will not do a direct billing. This may have changed, but users of FEHB have to be aware that many health care providers in the Philippines will not do direct billing. However, the health plans mentioned above will cover medical costs provided by licensed facilities. In effect, there is nationwide coverage.

• Like 1
angbumabasa

Previous post was edited.

I know that Chong Hua, Ormoc Doctors, Ormoc Farmers Medical Center will not do a direct billing. This may have changed, but users of FEHB have to be aware that many health care providers in the Philippines will not do direct billing. However, the health plans mentioned above will cover medical costs provided by licensed facilities. In effect, there is nationwide coverage.

FEHB is a market place. Individual providers within the market place have their own policies regarding contracts and payments. Which change annually. I have had BCBS, in one plan or another, for about 60 years. They covered me in Dubai the same way about 30 years ago. 

cebulover2000

I am intrigued by what province you live in where your coverage covers medical costs in the US ?  Have you advised your insurer that you are living outside the country ?  Most provinces have very specific requirements if you want to make a claim and are out of the country for any length of time

You are right, public health insurance is mostly useless outside the country (even province). BTW, Many Canadians live as snowbirds abroad in the US for extended periods and there is no rule that the Philippines is not snowbird country, lol.

Davaoeno

BTW, Many Canadians live as snowbirds abroad in the US for extended periods and there is no rule that the Philippines is not snowbird country, lol.

Most of those snowbirds have no medical insurance [ other than their Canadian insurance which is way way below the US costs  and totally inadequate ] and just hope that they dont get sick.  Some do and as a result of US medical/hospital bills lose their homes !

cebulover2000

Most of those snowbirds have no medical insurance [ other than their Canadian insurance which is way way below the US costs  and totally inadequate ] and just hope that they dont get sick.  Some do and as a result of US medical/hospital bills lose their homes !

That's my point. We are in the Philippines, they charge 1,350 pesos/night for a private room and not $2,000 US. A normal lab test is $800 US compared to 400 pesos, a USD insurance like Blue Cross only makes sense if you need US coverage.

• Like 3
angbumabasa

That's my point. We are in the Philippines, they charge 1,350 pesos/night for a private room and not $2,000 US. A normal lab test is $800 US compared to 400 pesos, a USD insurance like Blue Cross only makes sense if you need US coverage.

Agreed. We keep our BCBS coverage for my sake. Once I'm dead, my wife will cancel and keep only PhilHealth for her and her family.

Thanks for that info - are you confident that it is correct?

If so, maybe I would be better off carrying Phill medical risks myself?   As an  80yo, Phil insurance premiums are pretty steep.

Have you have any idea (a ball-park figure) what enough hospital/medical treatment (sufficient for me to be well enough to fly back to Oz) for, say a heart attack, or a broken leg would cost?

I know what the air fares back to Oz for myself and a helper would cost.

My medical/hospital costs in Oz would be close to zero.

cebulover2000

Thanks for that info - are you confident that it is correct?

If so, maybe I would be better off carrying Phill medical risks myself?   As an  80yo, Phil insurance premiums are pretty steep.

Have you have any idea (a ball-park figure) what enough hospital/medical treatment (sufficient for me to be well enough to fly back to Oz) for, say a heart attack, or a broken leg would cost?

I know what the air fares back to Oz for myself and a helper would cost.

My medical/hospital costs in Oz would be close to zero.

Cost really depend on the extend of the treatment necessary. There are also wide variations between the hospitals. Good hospitals like Cebu North General (Cebu Doc group) or Perpetual Succour http://www.pshcebu.ph/are much cheaper than Cebu Doctors or even Chong Hua http://www.chonghua.com.ph/ which is considered the best hospital in Cebu.

As comparison, my wife gave birth to our son with a private doctor, cost all in was 30,000 pesos and they stayed 3 days with epidoral. That cost would go down to 20 if you wouldn't request a special doctor. In Canada it starts at 300,000 pesos.

Edited by cebulover2000
Davaoeno

sufficient for me to be well enough to fly back to Oz) for, say a heart attack,

you might want to think this through a bit more 

• Like 4

If you have a major heart problem, you arent going anywhere without treatment.

Been there-done that!

If, and its a big IF, you get to a hospital, it is major surgery and then recover before you can even get to a plane.

And even then, you may not be allowed to fly.

( Airlines arent keen on dead passengers for some reason, and  very recent heart surgery might make them nervous!)

• Like 6