Good health insurance in philippines?

Davaoeno

48000 = $48,000  or p48,000 ?   Please tell me it's pesos. Please.

I was off in my number . My policy which was issued in Jan 2015  for Premier Semi-Private age 68  was 45,828 php     If you are more than 60 the premium goes up every year that you get older 

That coverage is for 750,000 for each disability for the life of the insured and  has a 90% reimbursement . You can of course get higher coverages, and also you can  get a  plan with a private room .   There is 90 days worldwide coverage based on currently applicable Phil medical rates so if you want to go to any western country make sure you buy travel insurance if not already covered by your home country .  

I also have Philhealth and my Blue Cross policy states that " the benefits in the sub-schedule are IN ADDITION to any benefits recoverable from Philhealth or any other insurances 

Thanks

The prices have gone down from a few years ago.

My rate from 2014 to 2015 went up 21%

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monsoon

• cebulover2000

• senseless

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting post where the Philhealth costs are broken down.   http://mindanaobob.com/blog/2014/03/28/medical-costs-philhealth/   Medical Costs & PhilHealth   MARCH 28, 2014  BY ROBERT MAR

I had never had any illness apart from the usual childhood ailments.   Then, one day I was out with a pal in his car and I collapsed. Fortunatley we were just passing a major hospital so said pal d

I use blue cross philippines USD (Plan A) with no deductible. I pay nothing for most of our medical needs. There have been 3 hospitalizations since our insurance started and they were amazing every ti

Posted Images

Just as a heads up to those seeking health insurance.....some companies will ask at the time of claim if other insurance is available. For example, if the claim is for a vehicle accident, then there may be coverage (and claim) against the automobile insurance.

In the case of my own health insurance, I have opted to NOT use Philhealth as a cheap coverage. With my health insurance, I am expected to pay up front and make a claim later (or possibly during treatment if conditions require that). If I had Philhealth, I would have to await the Philhealth claim to be settled before my other insurance would make a settlement.

Although Philhealth has some good features, it is a small coverage compared to my health plan. So, I would be waiting while Philhealth does their bureaucratic shuffling before I could get reimbursed. If it for a small amount, I could wait. But, for any significant costs, then I would be out of pocket for a extended period awaiting Philhealth to complete their processing.

I've read many different sides across various forums for all carriers mentioned here.  Each has stories of people that love theirs and others will hate that same plan.  Like looking for a hotel on tripadvisor lol

Interesting post where the Philhealth costs are broken down.

http://mindanaobob.com/blog/2014/03/28/medical-costs-philhealth/

Medical Costs & PhilHealth

MARCH 28, 2014  BY ROBERT MARTIN

As readers know, last week I was hospitalized. I’d been sick for about five weeks, with infections in my arms and hands, very serious infections. I needed to go into the hospital so I could have intravenous antibiotics, as oral antibiotics were not strong enough to eliminate the infections.

Anytime you are hospitalized, of course, cost is always a concern. Health Care is much cheaper here in the Philippines than it is in the United States, but still how much will it cost is always in your mind. In this article, I’d like to talk about the cost that was involved in my hospitalization, and also about PhilHealth, the National Health Care Insurance in the Philippines.

Our family signed up for PhilHealth about two years ago. The premiums are very inexpensive, 2400 pesos per year for the entire family. However, you hear so many stories about PhilHealth, we just were not sure how much they would really pay. From the stories you hear, they may pay nothing, or they may pay as much as about half of your costs. For the cost of the premiums though, if they pay anything, you’re money ahead.

PhilHealth-Card.jpg?resize=600%2C342

PhilHealth Card

My doctor practices at three different hospitals in town. I got to choose between which of the three hospitals I wished to go to. I chose the least expensive of the three. I made this decision based on the fact that I was only going in for something very simple, needing to have an IV. I mean, if I had a heart attack or some other very serious condition I would have definitely made a different choice, and though I had a serious infection, it had been cleared to the point where I only needed intravenous antibiotics, something not difficult to administer. So, based on this, I chose to go to Davao Adventist Hospital.

At the hospital, I had a choice of different types of rooms. The best room available was a suite. Below that, they offered private rooms, semi private rooms, and a ward with many patients. I chose to have a private room. I had heard that PhilHealth will not pay anything on a private room, but given that the cost was low, it was not really a big concern for me. The private room was 1350 pesos per night. The room was quite nice, and large. I had no complaints about it.

Now, let’s talk about costs.

My stay in the hospital lasted for four days. My total hospital bill, which consists of room and board, admittance fee, laboratory, medication, and professional fees for two different doctors came to a total of 25,024 pesos, that is about $560. Four days in the hospital for $560? That’s already very cheap. There were some additional costs involved for medication. Some of the medication did not come through the hospital but we went and got it for an outside pharmacy. So, of course, those costs were not included on hospital bill. The antibiotics that I was taking were very expensive. About 1300 pesos three times per day, so nearly $100 a day just in antibiotics. Some of those antibiotics were gotten from the hospital pharmacy, and were included on the hospital bill. However, at times the hospital pharmacy was out of stock, and we had to go to a different pharmacy, for which costs were not shown on the bill.

What did PhilHealth Pay?

Of the costs, let me break down what PhilHealth paid in each category on a percentage basis.

1. Room and board. Total cost for room and board was 5400 peso. PhilHealth paid 52% of this cost. I had always heard that PhilHealth would pay nothing on a private room, but this turned out to be untrue.
  2. Admittance Fee. This was only 300 pesos, of which PhilHealth payed nothing.
  3. Laboratory fees. This came to about 4000 pesos. PhilHealth paid 75% of the cost, 3000 pesos.
  4. Medicines. 4670 pesos at the hospital, PhilHealth paid 64% of this, 3000 pesos. PhilHealth also paid a large percentage on the medicines that we had to procure from outside the hospital.
  5. Professional fees for the doctors. Total was 10,708 pesos. PhilHealth paid nearly 4000 pesos, a little under 40%.

There were few other minor costs on different things which are not even worth getting into. The total, though, was 25,000 pesos more or less. Of this amount, PhilHealth paid 12,600 pesos. Our personal payment was 12,424 pesos, almost exactly 50% for each of us. Considering that our total premium is only 2400 pesos per year, and that covers the entire family, having them pay out over 12,000 pesos for a single event is very impressive in my view.

As I said earlier, I basically chose this hospital because it was the least expensive. However, I have to say the care was great. The people were wonderful, friendly, competent – just all around good. Based on my experience, I would definitely go back to Davao Adventist Hospital again, and even for more serious conditions than I had thought.

If you read online forums and other such things, you will see a lot of negative things about PhilHealth. To be honest though, I was very, very impressed with them. Another thing which was great, was that the amount was just deducted from our bill. I had been under the impression previously that it could take months to get reimbursed after paying out of pocket for the hospital bill. This was simply untrue. I would strongly advise that if you live in the Philippines, getting PhilHealth is a wise choice. It’s very inexpensive, my experience is that they pay about half of your bill, and it is handled very efficiently in my experience as well. I don’t see how you can possibly go wrong by purchasing PhilHealth.

• Like 7
contraman

This topic should be compulsory reading for all Newbies, or all expats for that matter :idontknow:

• Like 4
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Blue Cross USD plan is expesnive buit covers you when in the US as well

It all sounds great. And would be wonderful if they actually came through for you in your time of need. Caveat Emptor. 

"if it sounds too good..." 

Philcare is an option for those who only want a low coverage of up to 80,000 pesos/year at comparable low cost

One would be better off keeping 80k in a personal stash at home for such emergencies. 80k isn't much in the grand scheme of catastrophic events.

cebulover2000

It all sounds great. And would be wonderful if they actually came through for you in your time of need. Caveat Emptor. 

"if it sounds too good..." 

One would be better off keeping 80k in a personal stash at home for such emergencies. 80k isn't much in the grand scheme of catastrophic events.

Reading many stories, 80 K will get the job done in most cases, in more serious ones it will last a few days or weeks.

The fee is 1,200 pesos /year and covers most or all hospitals in Cebu, that's 1.5 % per year, I think that's better than having 80 K stashed somewhere, but of course you can be your own insurance company if it will help to cover more (many?) people.

I am also wondering how much money the newly discussed LinC emergency fund is planing to make available in the case of an emergency??

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Reading many stories, 80 K will get the job done in most cases, in more serious ones it will last a few days or weeks.

The fee is 1,200 pesos /year and covers most or all hospitals in Cebu, that's 1.5 % per year, I think that's better than having 80 K stashed somewhere, but of course you can be your own insurance company if it will help to cover more (many?) people.

For me health insurance is for the 8,000,000 peso things not the 80,000 peso things.

In fact I'm considering a $2k deductible on some plans I'm comparing for 2016.

• Like 1
cebulover2000

For me health insurance is for the 8,000,000 peso things not the 80,000 peso things.

In fact I'm considering a $2k deductible on some plans I'm comparing for 2016.

Maybe you need a life insurance instead?

The problem here is that they will cut you off at 64 anyways and all is left is Philhealth, so why bother with expensive insurances who will do anything they can to pay your big claim anyways, waste of money.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Maybe you need a life insurance instead?

The problem here is that they will cut you off at 64 anyways and all is left is Philhealth, so why bother with expensive insurances who will do anything they can to pay your big claim anyways, waste of money.

Everyone has unique needs.

Well for one, 80k doesn't go very far in any hospital I would go to in the Philippines. Further, I travel frequently including destinations outside of Asia. Also my family spends a couple months per year in the U.S.

So you don't think a Filipino company would do whatever they can to get out of a claim? I'd prefer to be with an international company.

I have personal first hand experience with BC Philippines and base my decisions on that.

• Like 1
cebulover2000

Everyone has unique needs.

Well for one, 80k doesn't go very far in any hospital I would go to in the Philippines. Further, I travel frequently including destinations outside of Asia. Also my family spends a couple months per year in the U.S.

So you don't think a Filipino company would do whatever they can to get out of a claim? I'd prefer to be with an international company.

I have personal first hand experience with BC Philippines and base my decisions on that.

All of us are Canadian citizens and well covered while in Canada (or the US for that matter, hehe), I also have an excellent CC travel insurance which will cover our travels for up to 3 months/year. - Eat your heart out, lol.

I still think with a SB of $2k you will  mostly be paying, insurance is 99 % paranoia. Look at the big buildings they reside in.

Anyone who is a vet how does the va in Manila come into play on emergency situation and ongoing medical care in the Cebu area

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Anyone who is a vet how does the va in Manila come into play on emergency situation and ongoing medical care in the Cebu area

They wouldn't let you in the door if it's not service connected.

angbumabasa

Two days in hospital here in Maasin for Dengue observation. (I got it.) PhilHealth paid 40% immediately. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't recommend Philhealth as the primary health insurance for anyone who can afford something better, but it can't be beat for a supplemental plan or primary if you can't afford a private company.  The bang for the buck is unbeatable!

• Like 2