A dreamer and it applies to everywhere

smokey

JamesMusslewhite

I love the beauty of the area where I live, and though I know it is certainly not for everyone, it is a perfect fit for me. And for an old horticulturist such as myself it is as close to Heaven on Earth as I would ever need, as it is a slice of paradise. From my small beach lot in the sleepy little fishing village of Tabirayan which is only a 40 minute scenic walk from our little coconut farm I get to enjoy beautiful sunrises and moon rises over the Pacific Ocean.

311342_2040736977906_6553359_n.jpg?oh=6b

59248_1444589794599_7344878_n.jpg?oh=604

And from the hillside on our Dinagat Island farm I get to enjoy sunsets over the straights.And one day I will build a home on the crest of that hillside and as I drink my morning coffee or eat my evening meal I will be able to enjoy this view which is virtually untarnished by the footprint of man; free of buildings, billboards, clutter or congestion.

529924_3174272235579_140232360_n.jpg?oh=

And when I wish we can simply take one of the boats for a short 20 minute ride and spend the day or stay the night out on one of our little lobster huts either out on the open water or nuzzled within the mangroves. There we can enjoy fresh lobster pulled from one of the nets beneath the floor and enjoy some of the most peaceful night sleeps a person could have to the tranquil sounds of the waves.

521445_3495437584512_1129399927_n.jpg?oh

307190_4320881860103_317088285_n.jpg?oh=

In the Provence the nights are so quite that the only sounds heard are those from nature and you can almost hear the Earth breathing. I'm quite content to stare in darkened sky and view a billion stars on a clear night or just listen to the fruit bats fighting over ripen breadfruit without the sounds of motorcycles, car horns and karaoke machines. I enjoy eating fresh caught fish and fruits and vegetables I raised and pick straight from the vine or tree. I enjoy breathing clean air and swimming in crystal waters. I like being able to live a simple life and being able to do that which I love to do. I love the Provence and the life and simple pleasures it gives as a reward for just being there..  There is a certain peacefulness to living on a farm in the Provence which is priceless and yet free.

534540_3528289165781_928746911_n.jpg?oh=

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 6

And a place to park the Corvette.

of course oh and an electric garage door opener 

• Like 2

You are describing Moalboal. Except for the hospital, but one is being built now, Dr Iris is a great pediatrician who has surgeries here and in the city.

Except for the: Good private school, decent hardware store, a mall since a small Gaisono's hardly qualifies, and there is no mickey D's unless they've added one since I left there.   :yahoo:    :cool:

JamesMusslewhite

Are you raising lobsters again?

Yes, two months ago we just finished building another lobster hut and have the first nets in the water, we put 50 fingerlings in the nets about 6 weeks ago and hope to have around 200 by the end of the year. We built it one island over from Dinagat Island (about 20 minutes by boat) because the location is deeper than in the lobster hut in the mangroves with a good cross current which is more beneficial for the overall health of the lobster  There the water will be far less brackish during the rainy season as well as being less muddy than in the mangroves. The lobsters struggle a bit when the water gets too brackish and if the water get too muddy we can have unnecessary loss of stock. We are presently collecting the poles to build a stationary fish trap net setup and should hopefully have it completed in the next couple of months. The fish trap is harvested daily and we will sort out the daily catch. The more desirable fish species will be put in the nets to be raised to reach market size. Some species will be for the table and the less desirable (trash) fish will be used to help feed the lobsters. Next Spring I hope to start making floating cages to be added along the perimeter of the lobster hut which will be strictly used to raise several fish species as well a three types of crab species. I hope after a couple of seasons I will be able to construct a 14 net floating platform similar to the one I designed for a client in Maldives. I have also secured the rights for three small tracks along a reef edge in an inlet waterway between two islands were I will later build another larger net facility, I was lucky to be able to secure these three tracts as their underwater topography and the current flows are perfect for what I am wanting to do. Everything is within 20 minutes from here so it will be very easy to stay on top of everything.

Even as we speak my brother in law and I are working on the hull board of that 32 foot calamari boat I purchased and striped down two years ago. We are sanding the hull board right now and and putting in the vertical ribs for the hull. Yesterday I had the chainsaw man come over and cut down one of our trees to harvest the long boards needed for the horizontal ribs. When done the boat will be between 32-34 foot long and the skin of the hull will be made of 1/4" marine plywood. It will be perfect size and light weight to use in the shallows around the islands here but will also be large enough for running into Surigao City to get supplies and building materials. We should be nailing the plywood skin on next month and with luck it will be completed, fully painted, registered and in the water before the rainy season starts. So things are running on schedule with my business outline. When you only make $900 a month you have to maintain a tight budget, do things in small methodical steps and stay focused on the projected goals and stick to a business outline, My wife and I are very good at doing that because we have successfully completed several startup businesses, so every month we get one step closer to our final intended goals.      

contraman

of course oh and an electric garage door opener 

What no lift ? :yahoo:

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Im looking forward to a point in my life when i dont need wifi & other time consuming gadgetry!

The wifi and gadgety are still good to have, It allows me to do the research on topics I am interested in, They allow me to talk to my family back in the States, and keep in touch with current and world events. I can see myself being content without cells, laptops, TV, radio. etc. but I believe it would not be as fulfilling. But I also see that one should not be a slave to technologies.

• Like 1
contraman

The wifi and gadgety are still good to have, It allows me to do the research on topics I am interested in, They allow me to talk to my family back in the States, and keep in touch with current and world events. I can't see myself being content without cells, laptops, TV, radio. etc. how else would I be able to spend all day on LinC as but I believe it would not be as fulfilling.

Okay, All Fixed :yahoo:

• Like 1

Yes, two months ago we just finished building another lobster hut and have the first nets in the water, we put 50 fingerlings in the nets about 6 weeks ago and hope to have around 200 by the end of the year. We built it one island over from Dinagat Island (about 20 minutes by boat) because the location is deeper than in the lobster hut in the mangroves with a good cross current which is more beneficial for the overall health of the lobster  There the water will be far less brackish during the rainy season as well as being less muddy than in the mangroves. The lobsters struggle a bit when the water gets too brackish and if the water get too muddy we can have unnecessary loss of stock. We are presently collecting the poles to build a stationary fish trap net setup and should hopefully have it completed in the next couple of months. The fish trap is harvested daily and we will sort out the daily catch. The more desirable fish species will be put in the nets to be raised to reach market size. Some species will be for the table and the less desirable (trash) fish will be used to help feed the lobsters. Next Spring I hope to start making floating cages to be added along the perimeter of the lobster hut which will be strictly used to raise several fish species as well a three types of crab species. I hope after a couple of seasons I will be able to construct a 14 net floating platform similar to the one I designed for a client in Maldives. I have also secured the rights for three small tracks along a reef edge in an inlet waterway between two islands were I will later build another larger net facility, I was lucky to be able to secure these three tracts as their underwater topography and the current flows are perfect for what I am wanting to do. Everything is within 20 minutes from here so it will be very easy to stay on top of everything.

Even as we speak my brother in law and I are working on the hull board of that 32 foot calamari boat I purchased and striped down two years ago. We are sanding the hull board right now and and putting in the vertical ribs for the hull. Yesterday I had the chainsaw man come over and cut down one of our trees to harvest the long boards needed for the horizontal ribs. When done the boat will be between 32-34 foot long and the skin of the hull will be made of 1/4" marine plywood. It will be perfect size and light weight to use in the shallows around the islands here but will also be large enough for running into Surigao City to get supplies and building materials. We should be nailing the plywood skin on next month and with luck it will be completed, fully painted, registered and in the water before the rainy season starts. So things are running on schedule with my business outline. When you only make $900 a month you have to maintain a tight budget, do things in small methodical steps and stay focused on the projected goals and stick to a business outline, My wife and I are very good at doing that because we have successfully completed several startup businesses, so every month we get one step closer to our final intended goals.      

What about security for your traps and lobster huts.  I ran a fish trap near Moalboal and we had a real problem with people stealing from the trap before we harvested daily.  How do you plan on dealing with that?  Just curious.

PM me if you want to cover the inside and outside of your hull with epoxy.  It rolls or brushes on and will slow the marine borers and eliminate most of the dry rot.

What about security for your traps and lobster huts. I ran a fish trap near Moalboal and we had a real problem with people stealing from the trap before we harvested daily. How do you plan on dealing with that? Just curious.

Raise Tiger sharks instead_____no need to buy expensive food.

JamesMusslewhite

What about security for your traps and lobster huts.  I ran a fish trap near Moalboal and we had a real problem with people stealing from the trap before we harvested daily.  How do you plan on dealing with that?  Just curious.

PM me if you want to cover the inside and outside of your hull with epoxy.  It rolls or brushes on and will slow the marine borers and eliminate most of the dry rot.

The fish trap will be in the same location where we just built the lobster hut. I have a trustworthy man and his son who rotate shifts staying on the hut site. Also both the lobster hut and the fish trap is within eyesight from his home. They are both experienced and dedicated to the project, we finance the project and supplement them as the stock goes through the 8-10 month grow-out from fingerling to market. This gentlemen and his son spent years being exploited by other growers and we approached him last year and worked out all the details of our arrangement. I have my nets and stock and I allow him to also have his own nets. which allows him to raise his own stock which is not the case with other growers. This also gives him a personal stake to insure the care and security of both the lobster nets and the fish trap. I am very lucky to have him as it is far too often almost impossible to find a trustworthy honest person in a venture.

It has been discovered that lobster can be supplemented with boiled squash and maintain their general health as well as gain weight  I have the agriculture land to raise the varieties of squash which not only can we use in the nets but sell in the little market we will start this Spring and use in dishes my wife will sell in a small food carry-out we are presently collecting the materials to build. Next Spring I will be building coops and pens to raise chicken, ducks and rabbits which can be stripes of desired cuts to use in food dishes sold through the food carry-out but the caucuses can be thrown in the nets to feed lobster and crabs. This will greatly decrease the demand on the fish trap which will allow caught fish to actually be put in nets and raise for market. I will be digging a series of small fish pond to raise tilapia, bass, ell, prawns, crayfish and apple snails which can be used in food dishes sold through the food carryout and used in the nets to feed lobster, crabs and fish varieties. The following photos are of marketable fish varieties which we have commonly trapped or caught in the local waters here in my area. 

306989_3495447024748_80014311_n.jpg?oh=8

12011377_10205523689911480_7073790790274

12003401_10205523690471494_9021683938086

12003222_10205523690911505_5017404739628

1378606_10201079577131438_1431535768_n.j

And when you have a big enough boat to take the two hour trip out into the deep blue needed to get near the big trench these little jewels are abundant a few times a years as well as marlin and other assorted quality game fish, They even have a yearly International fishing competition on the other nearby big island of Siargao. You can fill a freezer pretty quick on a good day, but even if they are not nibbling it is still worth the trouble just for the adventure. 

579987_3495466065224_367549620_n.jpg?oh=

The smaller fish can be sun dried to make salted fish, and the small trash fish can be sun dried and finely diced and used as fish, lobster and crab feed, or mixed with grains as poultry feed . Little goes to waste once it is all setup properly. I hope by next year to get an industrial blender/grinder so the fish heads, fish parts and internals can be emulsified to use as a natural fertilizer which actually contains 4% iron which is excellent for crops producing type-A chlorophyll. Even the bones of the caucuses (fish, chicken, duck, rabbit) removed from the nets can then be finely ground to make a bone meal, the blood drained and collected can be processed to make a blood meal and all used as natural beneficial soil amenities in the garden and farm beds. Which helps to minimizes feed and fertilizer costs. 

And as for the epoxy, yes I do want to put a couple of coats both in the interior and on the exterior of the boat. I have seen 1 gal. cans of clear epoxy here in our local City Hardware just last week but I am not sure about the quality. I have to go to the City next week and was hoping to get more details on their product. If you have any solid information of epoxy products please PM me. The boat well be 32-34 feet long and I hope to have the ribs ready to put the plywood skin on the hull next month so I know I will probably need 6-8 gallons for a generous coat and I want to put on two coats then there still is the primer coat and a couple coats of paint. I figure if I am going to do this than I want to do it right. Benjamen Franklin said, "there is never time to do it right, but there is always time to do it over." I tend to want to just do things right the first time and then move on to the next project, plus this boat will be in the water and used a lot.