Sign in to follow this  
parasite

Tagalog Vs. Bisaya

parasite

I'm going to be a student in Cebu very soon, for quite some time. I really want to be able to communicate with the people here. I was wondering about the differences between these two dialects. Can a person who speaks Bisaya understand a person who speaks Tagalog? and vice-versa? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about investing in a language software program (Rosetta Stone) which is only available in Tagalog, which cost around $200. I'm willing to shell out the money, but not if Tagalog is totally different than Bisaya. Are the two dialects similar? Is it worth it? Would I be wasting money? Is it not worth it? Any advice? Bueller?

Balay
I'm going to be a student in Cebu very soon, for quite some time. I really want to be able to communicate with the people here. I was wondering about the differences between these two dialects. Can a person who speaks Bisaya understand a person who speaks Tagalog? and vice-versa? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about investing in a language software program (Rosetta Stone) which is only available in Tagalog, which cost around $200. I'm willing to shell out the money, but not if Tagalog is totally different than Bisaya. Are the two dialects similar? Is it worth it? Would I be wasting money? Is it not worth it? Any advice? Bueller?

Some of the words are the same and can be understood. Most educated people will be able to understand Tagalog.

A lot of people living in the squatters area or provinces will not be able to understand you if you are speaking Tagalog.

If you a planning on living in Cebu... learn Bisayan.

Lee

They are very different but some words are the same. No, a person would not be able to understand you if they did not know Tagalog. All educated people have to learn Tagalog and English, but if you want them to be more comfortable with you, learn Bisaya IMHO.

til

I believe they will understand tagalog mainly because they learn it in school.

These are not dialects, but seperate languages. I dont think understanding one of them would be of much help to understand the other. Not more than english will help you to understand french (it will help, but not to the extent you'd learn french to understand english).

Donna

Hi! That is really a very good question considering that we have so many languages/dialects in the Philippines. Majority of us speaks and understand Tagalog since it is our national language but Tagalog and Bisaya / Visaya is totally different even though they have some similarities. In my opinion, i would recommend you to study Bisaya since Cebu is a Bisayan / Visayan speaking place. Hope this simple insight of mine would help you in your decision making. GOD bless

Ricbak

As others have said here, learn Bisaya but in regards to learning Tagalog I have a couple of books and a CD 'Learn Filipino' by Victor Romero that cost me a lot less than $200 and very good.

Mark L
As others have said here, learn Bisaya but in regards to learning Tagalog I have a couple of books and a CD 'Learn Filipino' by Victor Romero that cost me a lot less than $200 and very good.

Great Question! So far, everyone is recommending to learn Bisaya. Without learning it from the locals there, where can one get help learning Bisaya?

parasite

Thanks for all your help everyone. I really appreciate it. I think I might find a tutor or something.

chimellie
Great Question! So far, everyone is recommending to learn Bisaya. Without learning it from the locals there, where can one get help learning Bisaya?

Many people in this forum are married to Filipinna, some members here are Filipina. Post a question how to say something and they will help you.

Lee

here is a whole thread on it with links to language info here

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...ost&p=38996

Edited by Mr. Lee

Mark L
here is a whole thread on it with links to language info here

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...ost&p=38996

Thanks Mr. Lee...I guess one can learn to read certain words on the link you provided, but not proper pronunciation. It seems there is not a better way to learn Bisayan than directly from the locals there. I had hoped to learn more of the language before my next visit.

PEARL OF CEBU

Hi, I am from cebu so that makes me a CEBUANA with a Visayan dialect.

Visayan and Tagalog are two different dialects here in the Philippines and yes there are some words that are exactly have the same spelling with the same meaning and also there are some words that have the same spelling with different meaning, say for example LANGGAM in Visayan dialect it means (BIRD) in your english word but LANGGAM in TAGALOG it means (ANTS).I hope you got my point in this..

I also want to let you know that most of us here understands TAGALOG because first it is our NATIONAL LANGUAGE so it is being taught in schools and second it is what the televisions is using which is really a very big influence.You can talk to kids,they will understand you and they even speaks tagalog too that if they are not a shy type.People from Visayas can understand and speaks Tagalog mostly but people in Tagalog wont understand and cant speak Visayan.

I suggest you just try to learn both.Anyway I am sure it is a good investment for you.People cant say something behind your back thru speaking there dialects and it is easy to live in a place where you speaks the same languange or dialect.

Hope this will help you.. :)

Edited by PEARL OF CEBU

Paul

A few points here:

1. There are 8 major languages (not dialects) in the Philippines.

• Tagalog
  • Cebuano
  • Ilocano
  • Naga
  • Pangalatok
  • Ilonggo
  • Waray
  • Pampanggo

There are, roughly, 155 languages and dialects, all in all.

So, Tagalog and Cebuano are languages, not dialects.

2. If you need a tutor, I can recommend an excellent one who lives here in Cebu. He if fluent in English and Cebuano, and will teach you proper Cebuano grammar, as well as how to speak, read, and write in Cebuano. His name is Sem Villar. He's a great guy to talk with as well. He is a bit pricey, but if you wish to learn Cebuano, he is the guy to learn it from, as a foreigner. Let me know if you want Sem's contact number. I will be happy to give it to you.

3. If you are going to be living in Cebu, I would dispatch with the idea of learning Tagalog, as Cebuanos have posted here suggesting. Filipinos from a given area will almost always choose to speak their local language or dialect, over Tagalog. Often, I have asked Filipinos in the Visayas and Mindanao Regions, which they prefer, if they have a choice - English or Tagalog. By far, they have stated they would prefer to speak English over Tagalog.

generbee
Hi! That is really a very good question considering that we have so many languages/dialects in the Philippines. Majority of us speaks and understand Tagalog since it is our national language but Tagalog and Bisaya / Visaya is totally different even though they have some similarities. In my opinion, i would recommend you to study Bisaya since Cebu is a Bisayan / Visayan speaking place. Hope this simple insight of mine would help you in your decision making. GOD bless

i certainly agree.... bisaya is much more difficult language than tagalog. but you can always differentiate a "bisdak" (bisayang dako, pure, born and raised bisaya) from a pure tagalog-speaking person......the pronounciation and diction. On the other hand, the bisdak can understand but hardly speaks tagalog but a tagalog person hardly understands or speaks bisaya.

in the rosetta stone language project, i would suggest that you have two consultants for tagalog and visayan language....