Making flour biscuits

Jawny

I was hoping some members have experience making flour biscuits here. I've been unable to get biscuits to have the proper texture. I am guessing it is the result of the grade of flour and the shortening melting while assembling ingredients. Any helpful suggestions are welcomed.

I use Crisco brand shortening, sometimes hard to find, but I stock up when it can be found. I use 3rd class flour.

I have an adequate oven.

What results is a biscuit that is more crispy than flakey and not soft as they should be. If they get overcooked, they end up better as hockey pucks.

not sure if it helps but I just googled and found this tip:

use better flour and less of it. due to the humidity the dough should be wetter and stickier.

hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Mine come out great every time...

biscuit.jpg

Well with a lot of help...

Pillsbury-Grands-Biscuits.png

• Like 1
BossHog

pay attention to the layering but don't labor over it; gotta be done quickly.

also make sure your shortening and milk is very cold.

what brand flour have you been using?

pay attention to the layering but don't labor over it; gotta be done quickly.

also make sure your shortening and milk is very cold.

what brand flour have you been using?

The flour brand is unknown. Bought in a local market. I'm sure it is a well known supplier, but just being sold as class 3

BossHog
but just being sold as class 3

yeah, get a sack of the first-class flour. self-rising is best if you can find it.

i use either washington or general brand, though brands of flour can depend on regional availability.

Edited by BossHog

I'll try the 1st class. I don't have access to the prepackaged flours. Some, but very few choices. I used to buy Jiffy brand mixes for biscuits, corn bread, even pizza. These are difficult to find except in Cebu and that is hit or miss.

BossHog
I don't have access to the prepackaged flours.

don't worry about buying the small one-kilo bags of packaged flour.

any supermarket will have 20 kilo sacks of first-class flour for sale for about 1000 pesos.

ask at the check-out.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll use the first class. I'm also going to try and chill all ingredients before mixing. Work fast, also.

• Like 1

I make them a lot.   I use "self rising flour".   Not sure about this "class" designation.    I buy in stores inCebu City.

I use very cold milk and shortning/lard.   

Shave the lard off in smallest pieces I can

some sugar

a tiny  bit of salt

a fair share of "baking Powder - NOT baking soda

Knead slowly till very dry mixture  (add milk sparingly as you do not want a sticky to liquid mess

I flatten the dough out in a big piece, then fold it over and flatten out again, then fold over and cut into sizze I want and bake about in my oven at what it shows to be 350 degrees for about 25 minutes)   

Took several tries to find the right temp, etc.

By flattening out the dough into something like an 1/8 to 3/16 inch (more or less) then fold it over and press the dough together slightly to make sure it more or less sticks together - when it bakes you will have a layered biscuit.    This helps a lot in making your biscuit flakier, fluffier and much more easy to split apart.