Health insurance for one month visit to USA.

Good morning all

. I am going to return to the USA for a month and am looking for health insurance as a USA citizen. Everything I have found will not cover a USA citizen , only foreigners. Many have such an inclusive amount of exemptions , even defining a pre-existing condition as " anything that has been treated previously" ..... " including chiropractic care" . That I can not see the value of this .

So my question is , what are the people that are not age retired doing for coverage while in the USA? The few people that I have talked to , carry coverage all year with foreign coverage.

When I left the USA, my future premiums were going to be $8000 a year, which was a large part of my decision to leave the USA. Next year I hit 50 and they would go up again. If I didn't have a pot to piss in , I would not be concerned, but even a simple accident like my brother had would cost $250,000 in he USA. I will be traveling with my gf , so we will have more exposure than if I was stopping to see my my family.

anybody in the same predicament?

I have Phil health in Cebu.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I think you might have problems because at best unless you start paying before you get there, there is usually a waiting period before it goes into effect.

You can buy travel insurance. People do that when traveling in country. Or at least you use to be able to.

Edited by Salty Dog
sugbu777

Just do what the "welfare kings and queens" do. Go to the ER, and then skip out on the bill. :P

• Like 1

Just do what the "welfare kings and queens" do. Go to the ER, and then skip out on the bill. :P

Therein lies the problem, I have assets they can attach, eventually.

I think you might have problems because at best unless you start paying before you get there, there is usually a waiting period before it goes into effect.

You can buy travel insurance. People do that when traveling in country. Or at least you use to be able to.

I have found many " travel " insurances, they cover the cost of the trip. And death benefits , and repatriation coverage. But to actually get Heath insurance coverage is proving difficult to find.

I have two months before I leave and was hoping to find something.

Also, it is very easy to get health insurance / trip insurance for USA citizens , traveling abroad.

I don't have any specific advice. However, I wonder if a search for accident insurance is more appropriate? If you ask about "health" insurance, that is going to cover everything from diabetes to diarrhea. Your query is interesting given the current health insurance situation in the USA. The affordable care act may not be able to fit your needs. Perhaps logging in to the ACA website can provide information.

NOSOCALPINOY

I don't know if this article will help you before departing for the U.S., but good luck! 

http://obamacarefacts.com/questions/obamacare-living-abroad/

I am a US Citizen living for couple years in GDL with my family, I would like to know if there is something I have to do now, or have to take care of it when I get back to US ( in about 2 years)?

Please let me know your feed back!

Answer

If you are a US citizen living abroad for more than 330 days a year, you don't need to do anything under ObamaCare (the Affordable Care Act). If and when you spend more time in the country, and are filing a tax return, you'll be required to get health insurance if you can afford it.

Travel Insurance for US Citizens Visiting USA

http://www.insubuy.com/travel-insurance-for-us-citizens-visiting-usa/

I just did a quick search for a 50 yr old man and a 40 yr old woman

about $400 usd for the month with $250 deductible and 80/20 copay

http://www.domesticinsuranceusa.com/

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I am in the process of shopping for a new health plan for the family and management level employees of my company. I consider Phil Health to be nothing more than a discount card, it is not something I am going to rely on. My wife and kid have it, and supposedly I'm covered under my wife's but I could give two shits to be honest. 

For me health insurance is about the catastrophic things, not office visits for sore throats and sprained ankles. So I am shopping for a high deductible plan that provides global coverage. Most that I have considered so far offer some sort of inclusion option for US coverage.  There is no way in hell I would depend on a Philippine company for this. I have personal experience with one of the biggest here (Blue Cross) and they let me down. Blue Cross Philippines has nothing to do with Blue Cross of the USA. 

So far I'm considering a Blue Cross Global plan (issued from the USA and underwritten by Lloyds) and another plan from Cigna. Both have US coverage options available. I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet as I'm still negotiating with them both.

The Blue Cross Global (USA) plan is not cheap, but there is something to the old cliché about getting what you pay for. 

I have Phil health in Cebu.

I would go with something like this - http://www.bluecross...0(Oct)_web.pdf I would expect to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed.

I know we've had discussions before about Philippine BC. Your experience was positive, mine was horrible. There is not a chance in hell I would depend on them to protect my family's health or my assets. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
senseless

My bluecross USD plan covers emergency visits worldwide up to the first 90 days in country. Even with the "Treatment Area Limitation" in effect it still covers emergencies. The TAL discount just means you can't go there to seek medical assistance. But if you have a heart attack while there you're covered.

http://bluecross.com.ph/

I've never had a problem with them thus far (though from the above it seems you have). They even discounted our rates on the last renewal.

My wife has been admitted to the hospital once and daughter twice while under the effect of the plan. Total expenditures exceeded what we've paid them.

Edited by senseless
  • 1 month later...

As an update , I purchased Insubuy insurance, now let's hope I do not need it .

• Like 1