Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Holiday in Hong Kong, where to stay? Where to Shop?

Bill H

We're off to Hong Kong next month.  I've never been there, so would appreciate tips on where to stay, where to shop and what to do.  I don't stay in expensive hotels, but I don't want bed bugs either.  In Cebu, I favor places like Cebu R Hotel and Mango Park Hotel.  In Manila, we frequently stay at the Cherry Blossoms or 24H Hotel.

I'm going to be looking at digital cameras for the shopping portion of the trip.

Thanks for your input.

Monsoon

There are tons of camera shops in HK. I'll tell you where NOT to buy anything - avoid stores on Nathan road. 

I once read about a new 18-300 lens just released by Nikon (like a couple weeks before), but that it was only released in Japan for the first year. The first camera shop i walked into in HK had it in stock. 

There are tons of threads on the forum about what to do in HK.

• Like 1

CommanderData

We're off to Hong Kong next month.  I've never been there, so would appreciate tips on where to stay, where to shop and what to do.  I don't stay in expensive hotels, but I don't want bed bugs either.  In Cebu, I favor places like Cebu R Hotel and Mango Park Hotel.  In Manila, we frequently stay at the Cherry Blossoms or 24H Hotel.

I'm going to be looking at digital cameras for the shopping portion of the trip.

Thanks for your input.

I was just in Hong Kong for a few days! Unfortunately my choice of hotels won't work with your desired budget (stayed at the Ritz Carlton, 115th floor with incredible views of Kowloon bay and Hong Kong beyond)...

Some good tips for your trip that really helped me:

1) Get Hong Kong dollars at an ATM after you clear immigration, you'll need the cash for the next step.

2) Go to the Airport Express kiosks just before the exit to the trains, ask for an Octopus Card. They accept cash only for this. It costs $150 HK, but starts with $100 HK credit on it. Ask the person to load some additional value on it for you. I would recommend at least another $300 HK, as you'll use this a lot. For reference, $500 HK is about $64.50 USD. You can also top it up later at train stations at "Add Value" kiosks with cash.

3) If you have a smartphone get a local SIM from the 7-Eleven in the airport not far from that Kiosk (ask for CSL Tourist SIM) with a 5 or 8 day data pass (I think $30 HK or $48 HK respectively). This gets you unlimited local calling, 1.5 or 5GB data, and access to CSL wifi hotspots for free.  Pay with cash, or your shiny new Octopus Card, just hold it over the sensor with the Octopus logo.

Use the Octopus Card to pay for trains everywhere you go, just hold it over the turnstile sensor for entry / exit. Airport Express train costs $80 - $100 HK each way depending on which stop you go to. Other local trains are cheaper around the city. You can also ride buses with the Octopus Card.

Shopping areas- tons of stuff in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, I walked all over it. Echoing Monsoon's comment, beware of Nathan Road shops as they are mostly overpriced. You can go down any side street there and find camera shops every 100 feet though! Oh and when you exit the subway trains and get to the surface in that area the Touts are very thick and aggressive, almost unbelievably so. Once you fight through that you're golden :D 

Hope this helps a bit!

• Like 3

Jimone

I also recommend you get an Octopus card, there great, you will see the Octopus pay stations everywhere from public transport to 7 elevens.... 

• Like 2

Mikala

Airport Express train costs $80 - $100 HK each way depending on which stop you go to.

Can I use the Octopus card to pay for the Airport Express Train??

Bill H

Super thank you.  We will go to Disneyland and Marineland.  Is there any particular area we want to find the hotel or is everything pretty much equal?  I read on another thread that the hotels near the amusement parks are more pricey and the train will get you there from almost anywhere in less than 30 minutes.  Still looking for hotel ideas that are not $1,000usd a night palace.  I have much better places to spend those dollars than for a bed.  LOL   :cool: 

Jimone

Can I use the Octopus card to pay for the Airport Express Train??

Sure can.... If you have time, take the double decker bus to the Stanley Markets, great way to spend a day or so and a nice ride and view on the way,,, also check out the night markets in Kowloon,, the ladies market and the p*orn market if your game lol.. 

• Like 2

rizla

Super thank you.  We will go to Disneyland and Marineland.  Is there any particular area we want to find the hotel or is everything pretty much equal?  I read on another thread that the hotels near the amusement parks are more pricey and the train will get you there from almost anywhere in less than 30 minutes.  Still looking for hotel ideas that are not $1,000usd a night palace.  I have much better places to spend those dollars than for a bed.  LOL   :cool: 

Try agoda or booking, they often have special deals, I usually stay at the Eaton on Nathan Rd, but only if heavily discounted, otherwise be cautious about cheapish places, they are not safe, your wallet and laptop will disappear while you're in the shower!!!!!

CommanderData

Hah yeah I hear that, the Ritz Carlton is ridiculous but I figured it was only a couple nights and I only live once ;) 

Don't stay near Disneyland, you'll be too far away from everything else. 

If you use Agoda as rizla mentions and target Nathan Road / Tsim Sha Tsui area you'll be prime for shopping and walking around. I think you'd want to take the Tsing Yi stop off the Airport Express train for $60 HK, and then Tung Chung Line to Lai King, then Tsuen Wan Line to Jordan or Tsim Sha Tsui depending on where your hotel is placed along the Nathan Road shopping district.

Monsoon

You will find budget accommodations in Chungking Mansions. 

That place always reminds me of something out of a movie - like when you imagine where the outbreak that takes out most of the population will start - you think of Chungking Mansions. 

• Like 1

Bill H

You will find budget accommodations in Chungking Mansions. 

That place always reminds me of something out of a movie - like when you imagine where the outbreak that takes out most of the population will start - you think of Chungking Mansions. 

I think we'll pass on zombie hotels, thanks.  I was thinking more of a safe, clean, not overpriced kind of place.  If one exists there.

Monsoon

I think we'll pass on zombie hotels, thanks. I was thinking more of a safe, clean, not overpriced kind of place. If one exists there.

Plenty in the $80-$100 range. Try Agoda.

I've had people say good things about the YMCA there as well.

jtmwatchbiz

also check out the night markets in Kowloon

yea i love kowloon and that's where i hang out and do biz with the vintage watch dealers.  there is more to nathan rd than unscrupulous camera shops :)

• Like 1

contraman

I would have to agree with all most all the advice given so far.

I usually stay at the Kowloon Hotel, the rooms are small but affordable and you don't spend much time there anyway..

I don't eat at the hotels as they are overpriced.

The best value for Disneyland is at night (IMHO) :)

The night markets are great for electronic gizzmos

The Mainland Chinese are very aggressive and try to intimidate foreigners by walking in groups blocking the footpaths.

A bit like the Filipino families do :idontknow:  :)

My answer to that is just stop and look into a shop window.

It spoils their game and pisses them off as they have to go around you. :yahoo:

Just my :twocents: 

Enjoy you trip

• Like 6

Dragonladies.org

It's been a while since I was in Hong Kong, but the YMCA Salisbury was OK, and located well. 

Check the Silvermine Beach Hotel in Mui Wo, also.      It's a nice ferry ride back and forth to Hong Kong, easy to get to from the airport by bus.

There's also a smaller hotel in Mui Wo that is much cheaper, but have no tried it.    Mui Wo is kind of nice to go back to at night to chill out after doing 'tourist stuff' and there are ferries and buses to get you to most places.