Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• NOSOCALPINOY

• RogerDat

• ILoveCyrus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well thanks for the buzz-kill to an otherwise very upbeat topic

Greetings! found this. http://www.manilalivewire.com/2015/08/filipino-proud-us-air-force-f-16-jet-fighter-pilot-is-a-filipina/

MANILA, Philippines - In the tough world of fighter pilots where male chauvinism rules supreme, an intrepid 29-year-old Filipino woman beat the odds to become the first Filipina to fly the supersonic

Posted Images

Mikala

MANILA, Philippines - In the tough world of fighter pilots where male chauvinism rules supreme, an intrepid 29-year-old Filipino woman beat the odds to become the first Filipina to fly the supersonic F-16 fighter jet that ferried combat missions in Iraq as a member of the United States Air Force (USAF).

Capt. Monessa Catuncan, whose parents were originally from Pasay City and Olongapo City, was featured by the Asian Journal for her remarkable achievements as an F-16 fighter pilot that brought pride and honor to both the U.S. and the Philippines.

The brainy and beauteous Catuncan is the youngest daughter of Filipino immigrants Mr. & Mrs. Ramon Catuncan, now of Mesquite, Texas.

Even in her early years in school, Monessa excelled in academics, graduating valedictorian in a class of 693 in Mesquite High School in Texas in 2000.

She later passed the rigid entrance examinations given by the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs also that year and graduated as one of the top student-pilots in her class in 2004.

As a student pilot, Monessa went through an Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) where she again excelled, the Journal said.

After her UPT stint, Monessa flew the T-6 trainer plane to hone up her flying skill at the Moody Air Force Base in Valdosta, Georgia.

After her course at Moody Air Force, she went to Laughlin Air Force Base in Del Rio, Texas and Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls to fly the T-38.

The Journal said that “in her training there, Monessa learned the basics of formation flying, offensive and defensive fighter maneuvering, and surface attack bombing techniques. Monessa went through intense studying and was put in a variety of stressful situations in order to pass this training.”

The Journal cited Catuncan for her prowess in flying the F-16 fighter jet used extensively by the United States during the Iraq war with devastating effect.

“While at USAFA, Monessa, aside from pursuing her desired career as part of the US Air Force, served as a Squadron Commander, a Division-1 tennis player, a Glider Instructor Pilot, and a member of the Glider Acrobatic Team, among other essential positions,” the Asian Journal said in its article.

After flying T-38 trainer aircraft, Monessa was allowed to pick the type of aircraft she would like to fly such as the F-15E Strike Eagle, F-15C Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon, B-1B Lancer, A-10 Warthog, B-52 Stratofortress, and F/A-22 Raptor.

Monessa opted to fly the F-16 Falcon jet fighter, a state-of-the-art combat aircraft. Only highly qualified pilots are selected to fly the F-16, also known as the “Falcon or Viper.” She immediately went into rigid training in maneuvering fighter jets at Luke Air Force Base in Phoenix, Arizona where she was taught how to control and apply tactics of the F-16.

Catuncan finished her F-16 flying course with high marks and was part of the so-called “Lucky number 13” graduates of class 2007.

In fact, the Journal said Monessa “was the only woman in her group, not to mention the only Filipino to pass the much-coveted pilot course.”

As the first Filipina to fly the F-16, Capt. Catuncan “also carries the Philippine flag and the pride of the country it represents and the people in it.”

The USAF is known for its core values of “Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in All We Do.”

IE001139357_STD.jpg

interphoto_1323010189.jpg

• Like 3
woodchopper

there was an instance quite a few years ago aboard a Phils 747,,a terrorist left a bomb under a seat,,ex Cebu it detonated!

the phils pilot with limited control due to inside bomb damage,,manouvered the plane in a near circular turn to line it up with Guam airport and landed safely.

(thats as close to the scenario i can recall)

bloody good bit of flying!

• Like 1
Headshot

The F-16 came in at the end of the Vietnam War, and is hardly a state-of-the-art fighter any more. If she actually had a chance to go directly into F-22's and turned it down, then she isn't as smart as they make her out to be. Somehow, though, I doubt that she actually had that opportunity, since most F-22 pilots have prior experience in other fighters first. Maybe she will get a shot at the F-22 in the future. It sounds like she is paying her dues.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

The F-16 came in at the end of the Vietnam War, and is hardly a state-of-the-art fighter any more. If she actually had a chance to go directly into F-22's and turned it down, then she isn't as smart as they make her out to be. Somehow, though, I doubt that she actually had that opportunity, since most F-22 pilots have prior experience in other fighters first. Maybe she will get a shot at the F-22 in the future. It sounds like she is paying her dues.

well thanks for the buzz-kill to an otherwise very upbeat topic :)

• Like 6
RogerDuMond

The way I look at it, she probably based her selection on the odds of her not getting the F22. She would rather take the F16 that she knew she could get rather than get turned down for one of the few F22s and get stuck with whatever they decided to give her. It makes sense to me.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

well like Bill says she's probably not as smart as they make her out to be .   

Monessa excelled in academics, graduating valedictorian in a class of 693 in Mesquite High School in Texas in 2000.

She later passed the rigid entrance examinations given by the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs also that year and graduated as one of the top student-pilots in her class in 2004.

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Upbeat my ass….

• Like 2
Headshot

Anything for you Fred. :cool: 

It's only the reporting that I criticize, and not the pilot. There are actually quite a few female F-16 pilots, but it still isn't common. Graduating from the Air Force Academy and getting fighters (of any kind) is an accomplishment for anybody (male or female). It has to be the sexiest job in the military.

The downside for a woman is that she has to be on long-term contraception because if she gets pregnant her career is over. One of my older daughters wanted to go the same route, but when she found out she couldn't be a mother and fly fighters too, she gave up her appointment to the Air Force Academy.

I would have taken the A 10 just for the sheer "Blow shit up" factor.

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

I thought the F 35 was the bird to fly

Will be. The first squadron of them was just declared ready for deployment on the 31st of last month.