Sign in to follow this  
johnboy999

Birth certificate advice for fiancee in getting her first Philippines passport

johnboy999

I've tried searching the forums but can't find the answers to the questions I have, so hopefully someone might know the solution to my/our problem.

We are in the process of applying for a passport for my fiancee so she can come and live with me in the UK. We were living in Cebu for a number of years, but after getting seriously scammed/ripped off by her dad (another story which doesn't need to be covered here!) I had to return to the UK for work, as I'm too young to retire. We've been going through all the various steps in order to get her passport, but there just seem to be so many obstacles put in the way. It amazes me that so many Filipinos have actually managed to get passports!

We needed to get her birth certificate from the NSO in Manila, which took months to get, but has been rejected by the DFA as it's not 100% legible, so they've requested a notarized copy of her local certificate from Carcar. After another month or two, we finally received that, only to find upon presentation to the DFA that there was a typo in her mother's surname with 2 letters in the wrong order (they put Baclaso instead of Bacalso). So, this has also been rejected. In order to get this correction made, we have been told that she will need to get her mother's birth certificate, but of course, owing to , shall we say, a "poor" relationship with her parents now, that's not an option.

So, we've reached a brick wall at the moment. Does anyone have any advice on how we can get this resolved?

Thanks in advance for any assistance we can get

shadow

I've tried searching the forums but can't find the answers to the questions I have, so hopefully someone might know the solution to my/our problem.

We are in the process of applying for a passport for my fiancee so she can come and live with me in the UK. We were living in Cebu for a number of years, but after getting seriously scammed/ripped off by her dad (another story which doesn't need to be covered here!) I had to return to the UK for work, as I'm too young to retire. We've been going through all the various steps in order to get her passport, but there just seem to be so many obstacles put in the way. It amazes me that so many Filipinos have actually managed to get passports!

We needed to get her birth certificate from the NSO in Manila, which took months to get, but has been rejected by the DFA as it's not 100% legible, so they've requested a notarized copy of her local certificate from Carcar. After another month or two, we finally received that, only to find upon presentation to the DFA that there was a typo in her mother's surname with 2 letters in the wrong order (they put Baclaso instead of Bacalso). So, this has also been rejected. In order to get this correction made, we have been told that she will need to get her mother's birth certificate, but of course, owing to , shall we say, a "poor" relationship with her parents now, that's not an option.

So, we've reached a brick wall at the moment. Does anyone have any advice on how we can get this resolved?

Thanks in advance for any assistance we can get

We have gotten birth certificates that were otherwise unobtainable through ecensus.com.ph, from their website;

• Required information for birth certificate requests (click to view)

* Number of copies you are requesting

* Name (maiden name if married female)

* Sex

* Place of birth

* Date of birth

* Father’s name

* Mother’s maiden name

* Date of registration, if the birth certificate was late registered

* Purpose of your request

* Your relationship to the birth certificate owner

Birth certificate requests must be duly authorized as per The Child and Youth Welfare Code (P.D. 603)

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/OnlineApplication.aspx

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

johnboy999

Thanks Larry, I'll pass that info on to her 

• Like 1

Nangulo

When I was working the passport for my GF, we went to the local place where she and some of her brothers and sisters were born.  The lady in the office showed us everything with her last name on it.  

Maybe you could just show up to the local place where mama was born and ask for a copy without mama knowing what's up.

• Like 1

johnboy999

I believe her mom was born in Mindanao, so not as easy as it sounds ......

NOSOCALPINOY

In most cases, it's easy to obtain a birth certificate, but the difficult part is trying to correct any typographical errors that's already in the birth certificate.

Since the mother has an obvious typographical error in her birth certificate, Republic Act No. 10172, now allows the administrative correction of certain entries with the Civil Register, including entries in the birth certificate without having to go to court to resolve/correct the error in one's birth certificate depending what is allowed under this Republic Act 10172.

I myself have errors in my own NSO birth certificate and I will eventually go through this process under this RA10172 either by doing it myself or by hiring a reputable local attorney. Fortunately I'm in no hurry to do it yet. "Knock on wood"! 

Hope this info will also work for your fiancee.

http://ndvlaw.com/how-to-correct-errors-in-your-birth-certificate-without-going-to-court/

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/civil-registration-laws/republic-act-no-10172-implementing-rules-and-regulations

Here's the original RA 9048 that was amended by RA10172

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/civil-registration-laws/republic-act-no-9048

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/wrong-spelling-1

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

hilyfe

When I was working the passport for my GF, we went to the local place where she and some of her brothers and sisters were born.  The lady in the office showed us everything with her last name on it.  

Maybe you could just show up to the local place where mama was born and ask for a copy without mama knowing what's up.

This is the fastest easiest way to get it

On one of my vacation i went to get a copy of my birth cert.

Small world my old classmate from firstgrade was the one incharged

She became my hmmm never mind that part

But yup fastest easiest way if to get it at her birthplace

johnboy999

Her mother was born in Zamboanga, she's not going there!

NOSOCALPINOY

Her mother was born in Zamboanga, she's not going there!

Maybe under this RA10172, she doesn't have to go there and just have a local reputable attorney to do all the paperwork by obtaining her mother's birth certificate by just knowing the name, birth date and where born and or having the errors corrected too. If not possible, one is S.O.L.! Good luck though!  JMHO! 

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Jawny

Just do what Shadow advised. The process is simple and inexpensive.

• Like 1

SkyMan

You should be able to get an NSO copy of her mother's BC through ecensus or a local, to her, NSO office. I'm not sure how successful you can be getting the gf's BC corrected though, without her mother's help. I think the court will want proof the BC is really her mother's and not some other woman's with a similar name.

Edited by SkyMan

johnboy999

The big problem with getting her mother's BC from ecensus is they are asking for details of her parents. My GF doesn't have that information. In fact she only recently found out her mom was born in Zamboanga. She was always led to believe her mom was from Leyte. We're not going to get that information from her family, so looks like we are going to be stuck

contraman

Why is it that people do not read ALL the previous posts before responding ? :idontknow:

• Like 2

Headshot

Just a silly question here...would it kill anybody to just leave your GF's birth certificate as it is? Just make sure you spell it the same way any time you use it. My wife had a similar problem, whereas as she was raised, her last name was always given as Sagolili, and that name was on all of her records and certificates. When she started teaching for DepEd, they required a birth certificate, and lo and behold, her last name was spelled Sagulili on the BC. It turned out that it was easier and cheaper to have all of her other records and certificates changed than it was to have her BC changed. So...that was what she did. Now, her maiden name is Sagulili. Nobody cared as long as the same spelling appeared on all of her documents.

I don't believe your GF needs her mother's BC as long as all spelling on her own records and certificates matches (Baclaso). Don't ever bring up the issue about Bacalso, and if they ask if Baclaso is correct, say, "YES." When you take her to your country and marry her, she will drop her maiden name anyway, so the issue should never arise again. Maybe Shadow or others can tell you if there is some reason why this won't work, but sometimes you have to get creative, and stop fighting a misspelled name on a prime document. The BC is her prime document, so everything else must match it...not the other way around. Provided she doesn't need her mother's birth certificate for her passport (and my wife said the only BC she needs is her own, just make sure you spell the name the same way it's spelled on your wife's BC on any application or document you create. If there are other documents (church, school, whatever) that show the other spelling, take a certified copy of the BC to each place where spellings need to be changed, and get it done. It will be a lot faster, easier and cheaper than trying to fight the spelling game on her BC.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

johnboy999

Nothing to do with fighting to get it correct, it's a legal requirement stipulated to us by the DFA. And it's them and NSO Carcar that is asking for her mother's BC to make it corrected. She is not looking to get a job as a teacher, she is looking to get a passport to leave the Philippines. And they won't process it without this correct information. Maybe you were lucky enough to get away with it. We haven't been, so that is why I turned here to ask for advice on how we can get it resolved. But thank you anyway for your input