Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl: Traitor or Honorable Serviceman?

Irenicus

Staff Sergeant Clayton Bowen, 29, of San Antonio, Texas, and Private 1st Class Morris Walker, 23, of Chapel Hill, N.C., were killed by a roadside bomb in Paktika province on Aug. 18, 2009, while trying to find Bergdahl. Like Bergdahl, they were part of the 4th BCT from Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Search for Bergdahl was ended in July after it was concluded that he been taken to Pakistan.

No US soldiers killed during the search for him.

Even Taliban sources noted that he wasn't a deserter - he was captured while wandering around like a moron.

Innocent until proven guilty.

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• Captainmike

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think bergdhal deserves... a short rope and a long drop...

sad that the real hero's died trying to save him during his confused years...

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Search for Bergdahl was ended in July after it was concluded that he been taken to Pakistan.

Even Taliban sources noted that he wasn't a deserter - he was captured while wandering around like a moron.

Well since both you and Ian says it's true, I guess it's true.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

We will never know the truth Salty !  That one is a given. 

Irenicus

I think we're just going by the facts of the situation at this point.  Who knows what the ongoing investigation will reveal.

We will never know the truth Salty !  That one is a given. 

I beg to differ. While I never had the honor of serving, I know the guys who were in his platoon(?) knew him as well as anyone would. If they all were against him, and did not believe him, there is something to be said for those views. 

Headshot

I've seen military courts-martial operate. They will hear the testimony of all those who witnessed the charged acts; they will look at all of the evidence related to those charges; and they will determine guilt or innocence based only on the charges and testimony and evidence related directly to those charges. Then, and only then, will they look at mitigating factors (IF there is a "guilty" verdict). There is no clause that says the mentally challenged get a pass for wandering around where they shouldn't have.

The court will determine his guilt or innocence based on whether or not he left his post voluntarily under combat conditions (regardless of his motivation). If found guilty of that, then mitigating evidence (both positive and negative) MAY play some part in the sentencing phase of the trial, but it will not spare him from punishment. If found innocent of the charges, then mitigating evidence will never be heard. "A Few Good Men" was great drama, but it wasn't wholly accurate in how they conduct a court martial.

Clearly, anything the Taliban may or may not have said will have little bearing, since they were interested in trading prisoners, and they would want to make the trade look as appealing as possible. Trading for a deserter isn't as appealing as trading for a captured soldier.

• Like 3

"A Few Good Men" was great drama, but it wasn't wholly accurate in how they conduct a court martial.

Not true. You can't handle the truth! 

Did you really expect someone NOT to do that? :D

• Like 1
lamoe

All the more reason not to convict him of treason without sufficient evidence .  

Not treason - desertion 

Not treason - desertion

Would it not be treason if he were going to the other side? Or, would that still be classified as desertion?

lamoe

Would it not be treason if he were going to the other side? Or, would that still be classified as desertion?

Harder to prove for an enlisted man unless he had access to detailed troop movements, OPs, and Intel and gave it to them.

He didn't join them ,  simply deserted his post in a combat zone

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason
prev | next
"Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."

Headshot

I'm sure the court will have an array of charges to look at. They will convict him of those where there is sufficient testimony and evidence. Seldom in a general court martial is there only one charge.

• Like 1
Bill H

Unfortunately, this case has been so corrupted by politics I doubt we'll ever be allowed to know the truth.  Due to its highly political nature, I suspect any Courts Martial will arrive at the verdict the president and his backers wants them to arrive at in order to satisfy political goals.

• Like 1

firing squad, then hang him, then burn him, then feed his rag head loving ass to the pigs

• Like 1
Davaoeno

firing squad, then hang him, then burn him, then feed his rag head loving ass to the pigs

thank you for your very insightful and intelligent input into this very contentious discussion.   

• Like 2