Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl: Traitor or Honorable Serviceman?

What say ye? 

Trump: Accused Army deserter Bergdahl a 'dirty, rotten traitor'

WASHINGTON (AP) — The lawyer representing Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who left his infantry post and was held by the Taliban for five years, said Thursday that callous statements Donald Trump is making about his client are threatening the soldier's right to a fair trial.

In a town hall earlier this week in New Hampshire, the GOP presidential candidate called Bergdahl a "dirty, rotten traitor" and denounced the Obama administration's decision to exchange Bergdahl in May 2014 for five Taliban leaders from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Trump also claimed six U.S. troops died while searching for Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho, who walked away from his post on June 30, 2009. Trump also stated that the five Taliban leaders who were released were now "back on the battlefield."

Both allegations have not been substantiated. The five Taliban figures currently remain under travel restrictions in Qatar. And Bergdahl's attorney, Eugene Fidell, said that Army prosecutors have told him that they will not offer any evidence that anyone died looking for his client.

"Sgt. Bergdahl is not charged with treason or anything like it. He is charged with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy — a charge that in this case is simply a second, fancier way of charging AWOL, and is not to be confused with aiding the enemy," Fidell said.

At the town hall, Trump held up an imaginary rifle as if he were taking aim at Bergdahl and said: "In the old days, bing, bong." Trump's comments prompted a man in the crowd to shout: "He should be hung for treason!"

In a statement, Fidell condemned what he said was Trump's "reckless disregard for the truth" and said Bergdahl's defense team would keep track of the candidate's public statements.

"Mr. Trump's comments, along with many others that have been made over the last year, directly threaten my client's right to a fair trial," Fidell said.

Members of Congress who were angered by the prisoner swap and other GOP presidential candidates have made disparaging remarks about the trade and some of Bergdahl's fellow serviceman have publicly labeled him a deserter and a traitor.

"No American should have to put up with this kind of unprincipled behavior, especially from a person seeking public office," Fidell said. "Mr. Trump must stop vilifying this young man, who suffered five years of brutal captivity at the hands of the Taliban and deserves to be judged on the basis of evidence."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• Bill H

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think bergdhal deserves... a short rope and a long drop...

sad that the real hero's died trying to save him during his confused years...

Captainmike

I think bergdhal deserves... a short rope and a long drop...

• Like 8
smokey

• Like 8

I have to say, I agree. 

And his dumb assed lawyer should be drawn and quartered. 

Gosh, the good old days. :) 

• Like 2
LechonBuddha

I’d put him in front of a firing squad but having him grow old in Leavenworth could work for me also. 

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

squad.gif

• Like 6
Bill H

Based upon the testimony from the members of his platoon, there is no doubt in my mind he is a deserter and should be treated as such.  He is a cowardly traitor and he was given a free pass by another cowardly traitor.

• Like 6
targetlock

I think a short rope and a long drop is too good for him he should have a short rope and be left to stand there with it on when he gets tired he dies slowly

• Like 1
Captainmike

I think a short rope and a long drop is too good for him he should have a short rope and be left to stand there with it on when he gets tired he dies slowly

That would work too....

angbumabasa

I wouldn't waste a bullet on him. A rope  would do nicely. On national TV, Monday Night Football for example. At half time. With the stadium full of disabled vets. Just after the list of all who died in Iraq and elsewhere since 9/11 is read aloud.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

could you elaborate please.  Exactly who are these heros that died trying to save him ??  Doesnt military justice require some sort of evidence before a person is found guilty of things like treason ?

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 5
smokey

its a sensitive subject for many we had a supply sergeant in viet nam who was Selling M-16 to the enemy people who do stuff like desert and help the other guys rank up there 3 levels below snitch   

Bill H

In the days following his disappearance, the Army sent out numerous patrols looking for this jerk, not knowing he'd ran away to join the enemy.  A man was killed on one of these patrols, but I don't remember the exact details because I was not following the case at that time.  I think he might have been a Special Forces guy, but you would have to either Google or ask one of the guys here who followed the case for details.

Not one member of his platoon backed his story or supported him after he was released by his captors.  That should tell you a great deal because these are the guys who knew him best.  Additionally the Army developed quite a body of evidence supporting the idea he intentionally abandoned his post in order to seek out the enemy.

The only reason he was not tried immediately upon his return is because a group of very powerful politicians traded him for 5 high value enemy combatants in some demented/insane attempt to gain for with these terrorists.  Once they did that, they did not have the courage to admit they had made a mistake and tried to sweep the whole affair under the rug, so to speak.  However, his former platoonmates raised such a hue and cry over the insanity and injustice of it all the politions gave up overtly trying to make it appear it was a good trade.  They switched to a back channel effort after trying to cover up what they'd done for over a year, but by this time the public was too insenst to let it all fade away.  Meanwhile the Army's own investigators unearthed a substantial body of evidence pointing to his guilt.

Now you know.