Holding Hands is Not for Me

KennyF

Way back in the day when I was married in Thailand my ML told me that public show of affection was strictly taboo.

She told me only teenagers and bar girls with customers hold hands.

By personal observation I'd say that in Thailand, it's so.

Here in RP I'd say the same is broadly true.

On Camigiun one only sees teenagers and foreigners showing affection in public.

I know many locals and if you weren't told, you wouldn't know who was married to who.

But maybe big cities it's different.

KonC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hilyfe

• Headshot

• batman2525

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holding hands is fine, putting an arm around waists is fine, a quick peck on the cheek is fine. I enjoy it. Kids feel comforted when we do so (lol ... but they are young ... maybe a different attitude

I love it and sometimes the wife and I even skip holding hands with our 2 sons running along with us.

Posted Images

Headshot

Must be. Or maybe it's all in the eye of the beholder. Here in the Cebu Metro area, everybody holds hands (or at least has body contact). Holding hands, hands on or around shoulders, arms around arms are all very common throughout the age groups and regardless of gender. They take the "hold hands while crossing the street" thing very seriously here. My philosophy is that if my wife wants to hold my hand (or my arm or my waist), then I want her to do it. I like being in contact with my wife, even in casual contact (which is certainly nothing sexual). For anybody else that has a problem with that, their problem is in their head...and should remain hidden there. It is very Victorian (or Islamic) to think it's OK to tell others what is or isn't proper decorum in public (or otherwise). I find it funny that anybody would be concerned with holding hands in a country where urinating in public and breastfeeding in public (not that I necessarily have a problem with that, since there are generally no places provided for that).

• Like 2

Holding hands is one of the best ways to show mutual affection, in public. 

I love holding hands, or having my lady wrap her arm around mine, while walking along. 

Even when seated in a car, or on a bus, I enjoy holding hands with my girl. 

Can't think of a reason not to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I love holding hands, or having my lady wrap her arm around mine, while walking along. 

She just went to the cr and there wasn't any water....

jtmwatchbiz

now i just threw up in my mouth. 

please...enough...what's next some barry manilow on the hi fi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess I do the opposite in public unless crossing busy road. Here its real waray mentality. They look you both up and down from head to toe in a long scornful manner. A lot of the time its staring enough to burn a hole in you. All very disconcerting and making you feel ill at ease. Holding hands bring even more attention. I try to keep it low key. The city is not so bad.

Even if you are not in public it gets a bit much I looked out of window two days ago to see four workers next door just standing, pointing laughing and leering at the poor girl. Damn she was just doing the washing behind the house but some idiots were trying to turn the wash area into a girlie bar. Guess I need to put a wall at the back as well as the front. I they had have worked as hard clearing the land as they were leering it would have been cleared in half a day. That sort of mentality brings to mind some of the terrible things that have happened over the past week.     

Edited by hyaku
Headshot

They look you both up and down from head to toe in a long scornful manner. A lot of the time its staring enough to burn a hole in you. All very disconcerting and making you feel ill at ease.

When people do that to me, I just look them straight in the eyes, smile, and say, "Hi. How are you doing?" or something similar.

Usually, they will look at my face, get a sheepish grin on their face, and say, "Hi" back to me. If you want to break down suspicion and contempt, you must address it directly by being friendly. If, at that point, they are still frowning, then their problem runs a lot more deeply than just you. But then, I have never had any Filipino not return the smile...only foreigners sometimes do that. Generally, I just write them off as a head case and walk on.

• Like 1
contraman

Nuh, I have a large personal space area so no one feels comfortable holding my hand :(

Or maybe it is just my bad body odor :idontknow:

• Like 2
Headshot

Nuh, I have a large personal space area so no one feels comfortable holding my hand :(

Or maybe it is just my bad body odor :idontknow:

So...no holding hands in public...but other things are OK?

I hope this doesn't become a scandal...   :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
contraman

So...no holding hands in public...but other things are OK?

I hope this doesn't become a scandal...   :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Now back to topic or you will have the Mods to deal with :idontknow:

Edited by contraman
  • 6 years later...
Soupeod
On 8/22/2015 at 8:35 AM, KennyF said:

Way back in the day when I was married in Thailand my ML told me that public show of affection was strictly taboo.

She told me only teenagers and bar girls with customers hold hands.

By personal observation I'd say that in Thailand, it's so.

Here in RP I'd say the same is broadly true.

On Camigiun one only sees teenagers and foreigners showing affection in public.

I know many locals and if you weren't told, you wouldn't know who was married to who.

KonC

Same with my Thai mother.

Same here in the province, except when she has my hand or arm to keep me from tripping from all the sidewalk hazards.

• Like 3