Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Boat Building Techniques for the Philippines

Oz Jon

I was thinking about a mono-hull sport fishing boat of around 20 ft.... there are several designers selling plans on line...... but if the plywood is no good here then maybe not such a good idea...??

{I edited my post slightly before you replied} - sorry about that!

That's outside my experience of yachts and sail/power catamarans.

I suspect that many people have cold-molded power boats that size.

However, that's not a very big boat, so maybe you could afford to build it in epoxy-foam sandwich?

That is the best available current technique (without getting involved in exotics, carbon fibre, etc).

But you need to find an established/reputable epoxy-foam / cold-molded ply designer.

If you plan going to sea, please choose a closed deck design!

Edited by Oz Jon

PIM

I was thinking about a mono-hull sport fishing boat of around 20 ft.... there are several designers selling plans on line...... but if the plywood is no good here then maybe not such a good idea...??

Darrener, for a small (6.0m) sport fishing boat, I would recommend twin-screw, hard-chine, mono-hull of either solid FRP (fibreglass) or, if lighter weight / higher speed is required, foam sandwich. Neither of these materials are cheap to purchase and, to be properly built, needs a suitable building environment and good quality control.

A hard-chine cold-moulded plywood sport fishing boat could also be considered.

At 6.0m length, I would be restricting this vessel's usage to relatively protected waters and in the Philippines to within about 30 minutes travel time to a port or safe haven.

One of my current projects is a 25.0m foam sandwich commercial sailing catamaran being built in China for operations in New Zealand. This is the first time that the builder has built in foam sandwich, so I need to guide them and watch them like a hawk.

Edited by PIM
  • Like 1

Soupeod

I am going to build a boat. Good info in here!  To bad we don’t see these guys around anymore.

• Like 2