PAL to launch Cebu-Los Angeles direct flights in 2016

Would it not make sense for PAL to retrofit the A340's with AVOD and modern Economy seating as well as modern Business class seats. I will admit I avoid PAL for those reason, I put up with that type of seating on American and United here in the US, no way am I going to suffer for 13-15 hours, its bad enough doing it 3-4 hours.

I have started booking Business for my long haul flights to the Philippines. I've priced PAL Business class and they are aren't far off from Asiana and Cathay, I'll fly on those two carriers and get the superior seats and food and entertainment, a 2-4 hour layover in Incheon or HK is not going to kill me. 

Edited by Agustin
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buko Beach

• tim

• ex231

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will stick with Korean their airport is very nice

Wow, SkyMan I really owe U a beer or two ...lol ... just cancelled my upgrade offers...U were right they did have it posted as USD. I could have sworn that it was posted in PHP , but when I went back

Hmm, I suspect this will be as short lived as the Cebu/Bangkok flights.   Price will be the deal maker/breaker.

Posted Images

Buko Beach

With the exception of two meals and a snack, the flight attendants stayed in the galley at the rear of the plane.

After the first dinner service the flight crew heads for the crew rest area at the rear of the plane to sleep. On the PAL A340's it's located at the rear and down a set of hidden stairs. They leave a junior flight attendant in the rear galley to respond to any passenger requests during the flight. It's just another example of an area where PAL can improve upon customer service and bring standards up to the level of other airlines who have cabin attendants always walking the cabin actively looking to help passengers throughout the flight.

Anyway, when all is said and done, we won't fly this route again. Last year, we flew Cebu to Narita and Narita to Seattle, which was a much more enjoyable and much more relaxed flight (even with the airport stop in Japan). Even though the total travel time was longer, we were more rested at our destination than we were on this trip. So, if PAL is trying to ease into this route using their old aircraft, then they should realize they are losing customers for future flights by doing so.

They realize it, but until the 6 newly ordered A359 start to get delivered sometime in 2018, PAL is stuck with the older A340's. PAL is also stuck with sardine-can mono-class A330's with no AVOD that were ordered under the previous management. PAL has stated they will retro-fit those aircraft (A330) to get AVOD at a cost of over 10million $ per aircraft. It's just another example of PAL trying to put a band-aid on after having a body part amputated.

Buko Beach

Would it not make sense for PAL to retrofit the A340's with AVOD and modern Economy seating as well as modern Business class seats.

It doesn't make sense for PAL to spend what would be around 20-25 million USD per aircraft to retro-fit the interior and add AVOD to aircraft that are on average 15 years old. They would never be able to re-coup the money invested.

In the next few months the first of many leased B777 (which are newer and offer better fuel consumption and range) will be made available onto the secondary market. PAL also needs to hold onto those A340's for at least another couple of years, so basically a 15-20yr old A340 with or without a new interior will not be worth very much when PAL tries to sell them.

I have started booking Business for my long haul flights to the Philippines. I've priced PAL Business class and they are aren't far off from Asiana and Cathay, I'll fly on those two carriers and get the superior seats and food and entertainment, a 2-4 hour layover in Incheon or HK is not going to kill me.

I hear you. The sad part is PAL is getting killed sandwiched between low cost carriers (LCC) and the other legacy carriers who offer a superior experience (better customer service and better aircraft comfort) for roughly around the same ticket price as what PAL offers.