Top Posters In This Topic

• Buko Beach

• tim

• ex231

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will stick with Korean their airport is very nice

Wow, SkyMan I really owe U a beer or two ...lol ... just cancelled my upgrade offers...U were right they did have it posted as USD. I could have sworn that it was posted in PHP , but when I went back

Hmm, I suspect this will be as short lived as the Cebu/Bangkok flights.   Price will be the deal maker/breaker.

Posted Images

Vulle Vuojas

Instead of flying the middle business section empty, you would think PAL would offer the seats to passengers in the boarding area to upgrade for a few hundreds bucks. Its better then nothing right.

I think you need to think that over again....

With your suggestion there might be less business tickets sold and more passangers just paying up at the check in counter.

If the upgrade is too cheap then ofcourse many of the normal economy travellers would upgrade as well.

mistaeric

I think you need to think that over again....

With your suggestion there might be less business tickets sold and more passangers just paying up at the check in counter.

If the upgrade is too cheap then ofcourse many of the normal economy travellers would upgrade as well.

Anyway it goes, Pal still get paid right?

Buko Beach

Instead of flying the middle business section empty, you would think PAL would offer the seats to passengers in the boarding area to upgrade for a few hundreds bucks. Its better then nothing right.

PAL offers a check-in upgrade from economy to business class for most International flights.

If there's a business class seat open you can upgrade and buy it for $1000USD for flights to the USA and $1000CAD to Canada. You had to originally purchase your economy class seat in one of the allowable booking codes, so there are certain restrictions.

If you choose to upgrade at the airport you get to use the lounge, you get priority baggage and priority boarding, but the real issue (at least to me) your Mabuhay Miles account will be awarded miles based on your original economy ticket and not the upgraded business class seat. The mileage difference is substantial.

http://www.philippineairlines.com/about-pal/frequently-asked-questions/business-class-upgrade-fee/

Vulle Vuojas

That's what I thought... PAL would loose money giving away (bought cheap by kuripots as myself)  cheap business class seats bought at check in....

• 2 months later...
profits101

THE country’s flag carrier, Philippine Airlines (PAL) is set to launch its newest direct international flight from Cebu to Los Angeles, California, USA starting March 15, 2016 to coincide with the carrier’s 75th founding anniversary. 

Harry Inoferio, PAL senior assistant vice president for Passenger Sales, said the thrice weekly service will expand the flag carrier’s international flight route network to the United States mainland as part of the airline’s ongoing route expansion to response to market demand during a roadshow in Iloilo City on Wednesday, February 10.

PAL is servicing connecting flights from Iloilo, Bacolod, and Tacloban to Cebu everyday and the direct flights to LA are slated every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The flag carrier’s intra-domestic flights and international flights to and from Cebu provide the connectivity customers need.

From the Iloilo International Airport in Cabatuan, Iloilo, passengers bound for LA will not pay the fare Iloilo-Cebu until end of March this year as part of its anniversary promo.

The airline has three flights weekly between Cebu and Bacolod, four flights weekly between Cebu and Butuan, and seven flights weekly each between Cebu and Cagayan, Davao, Iloilo and Tacloban.

The PAL Cebu hub operates flights thrice weekly for Cebu-Nagoya, Japan, seven flights weekly for Cebu-Osaka, 14 flights weekly for Cebu-Tokyo (Narita) and twice weekly for Cebu-Seoul (Incheon) South Korea.

Link here: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/iloilo/local-news/2016/02/11/ph-flag-carrier-launches-cebu-los-angeles-direct-flight-456713

SkyMan

Any one know if this is still true?

I tried to search today for the PAL flight from CEB to LAX in April 2016 but it shows all flight going through MNL.

I found the same thing for May 2016. I think it's just a tease.

I just got the Promo fare CEB-LAX-CEB in May/June, 2 tix for under $1900 including travel tax but I don't see mention of the terminal fee.

Here is one of the things I never understood about airlines. I just checked the flight on PAL's website.  On a Tuesday for business class one way it's $2393 direct to LAX.. On a Wednesday it $2373, twenty dollars cheaper, but goes through MNL first, then on to LAX.   Now think about how much more it must cost the airline to fly me and my bags to Manila first, then to LAX, yet it is cheaper for me? It makes no sense. 
Partly it depends on which flights they are trying to fill.  If the direct flight is more popular the price goes up.  They do do some strange things though and it isn't just PAL.  My first trip here was on Delta and I was living halfway between Cinci and Indy.  I saved a good deal of money leaving out of Indy on a flight to Cinci to catch the same flight to Detroit.  So in that case they took the same itinerary, added a flight to it and charged less.
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Heeere's Johnny

I just did a mock booking PAL nonstop CEB-LAX in June, leaving on a Tuesday and returning on a Thursday. Total cost $962 including seat reservation. This is on an A300-340, the same plane I flew on from Zurich to Bangkok last October. I despised the plane: old, console in poor condition, seat very uncomfortable. I much prefer Cathay Pacific - don't mind changing planes in Hong Kong. The fare is $1,012 - don't mind paying the extra $50, but for that fare I can't reserve a seat. I'm not too particular where I sit on a plane, but I do require an aisle seat. For that privilege, I pay Cathay an extra $605! Won't do that. Guess I'll have to be uncomfortable on PAL.

Buko Beach

I just did a mock booking PAL nonstop CEB-LAX in June, leaving on a Tuesday and returning on a Thursday. Total cost $962 including seat reservation. This is on an A300-340, the same plane I flew on from Zurich to Bangkok last October.

PAL does not fly between Zurich-Bangkok, so no idea what airline that was on, in addition PAL does not have any A300 aircraft, they have airbus A340-300 (A343) aircraft.

Heeere's Johnny

It was Swiss Air from Zurich to Bangkok (don't know why that's an issue). Sorry, my dyslexia kicked in: The Swiss Air flight was Airbus 340-300, as is, so I understand, the PAL nonstop CEB-LAX. The point is, for me, it was not a pleasant plane to fly in. I would prefer the larger Airbus or Boeing, but for the price and convenience I'll fly in whatever PAL has to offer.

tomaw

http://www.rappler.com/business/industries/171-aviation-tourism/101767-philippine-airlines-cebu-los-angeles-direct-flights-soon

MANILA, Philippines – People in the Visayas and Mindanao can soon fly to the United States without passing through Manila once flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) begins its direct flights to Los Angeles from Cebu.

PAL will launch non-stop flights between the central Philippine city and Los Angeles in the first quarter of 2016, as part of the airline's US route expansion.

"Our customers in the Visayas and Mindanao have long clamored for direct flights between Cebu and the US due to the travel convenience this will bring," PAL President and Chief Operating Officer Jaime Bautista said in a statement released by the airline.

He added, "One can simply take a short hop to Cebu from any point in the Visayas and Mindanao and connect to Los Angeles, instead of flying all the way to Manila."

PAL said the Cebu-Los Angeles flights will start on March 15, 2016 – PAL's 75th founding anniversary – using its 254-seater Airbus A340, equipped with both business and economy class seats.

Flights will be thrice weekly, PAL said.

This new route will be the airline's 38th weekly flight to the United States and its territories, and will be the 34th international flight originating from the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.

It looks like Cebu is now on the map. Check out these ads at LAX on a bus and a billboard!

post-12051-0-89184700-1457920077_thumb.jpg

post-12051-0-00134500-1457920107_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just booked PAL r/t LAX to Cebu for sept/oct , 2016  for $ 713.00. They are using the  airbus A340-300  aircraft.  Called PAL and asked about the entertainment features on the flight, was told that they use the wide screens and no individual seat screens .  Great !

First time to fly PAL. First time to use this route. Here hoping I have enough sleeping pills to survive the 15 hour flight with no entertainment on board ... we leave LAX at approximately 11 pm and arrive in Cebu at 4 am... should not have to worry about traffic at 5 in the morning or the bridge construction leaving Mactan airport to the hotel. I am wondering what other planes come in that early. I know a lot of planes come in about midnight (KAL, Asiana Air, etc) so hoping customs/immigration will be fast and painless. .   

If anyone reading this has flown this route with Pal , and have comments or advise  please post here....

thanks

• Like 1
Headshot

Is that $743 including taxes and fees?

throttleplate

i fly manila to lax on pal regularly and the 14 hour no layover works well for me and no seatback entertainment no big deal for me also as i just pull out laptop and watch movie on usb or read a book and of course do laps around the plane and hang out with the stewardeses in the back and eat snacks. Its my favorite route now that pal doesnt fly into vegas which was my first choice.

• Like 1
throttleplate

Just booked PAL r/t LAX to Cebu for sept/oct , 2016  for $ 713.00. They are using the  airbus A340-300  aircraft.  Called PAL and asked about the entertainment features on the flight, was told that they use the wide screens and no individual seat screens .  Great !

First time to fly PAL. First time to use this route. Here hoping I have enough sleeping pills to survive the 15 hour flight with no entertainment on board ... we leave LAX at approximately 11 pm and arrive in Cebu at 4 am... should not have to worry about traffic at 5 in the morning or the bridge construction leaving Mactan airport to the hotel. I am wondering what other planes come in that early. I know a lot of planes come in about midnight (KAL, Asiana Air, etc) so hoping customs/immigration will be fast and painless. .   

If anyone reading this has flown this route with Pal , and have comments or advise  please post here....

thanks

did you book with pal or an online site like kayak?