PAL to launch Cebu-Los Angeles direct flights in 2016

mactanfamily

17 hours on an A340. Good God. There is not enough Ambien on the planet. Unless you live in SOCAL, I'd stick with SFO through Korea.

Philippine Airlines revealed last month (April 2015) that it was in the process of studying possible replacements for its existing fleet of A340 aircraft. According to Philippine Airlines President Jaime Bautista, the carrier is planning to have a replacement in place by 2020. But many passengers are hoping that the national flag carrier will act sooner as the experience aboard the carrier's A340 fleet is vastly inferior to its modern Boeing 777 fleet.

The Philippine Airlines A340 fleet is considered fuel in-efficient and costly to operate. For passengers, they are dated aircraft that show their age and lack modern in-flight amenities synonymous with a world-class carrier such as personal televisions and video-on-demand at each seat.

Philippine Airlines currently operates six of the aircraft. The average age of the A340 aircraft in the PAL fleet is 14.3 years old. Although the aircraft were expected to retire sooner, the recent slump in global fuel prices has prolonged their life with Philippine Airlines.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buko Beach

• tim

• ex231

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will stick with Korean their airport is very nice

Wow, SkyMan I really owe U a beer or two ...lol ... just cancelled my upgrade offers...U were right they did have it posted as USD. I could have sworn that it was posted in PHP , but when I went back

Hmm, I suspect this will be as short lived as the Cebu/Bangkok flights.   Price will be the deal maker/breaker.

Posted Images

mactanfamily

Money saved is not taxed, so that is like earning about 420 extra

????

miles-high

I know there will be less and less 4-engine jets (3-engines already gone except FedEx flies a few and some French made private jets are 3-engined)… I also know 2-engines save money and that they tell me IFSD (in-flight shut down) rate is low…

But there have been some IFSD's on 2-engine airplanes, the longest one being JAL B787 that flew on one-engine from south of Alaska to Honolulu (I guess Honolulu was closer)… That must have been a scary experience middle of night single engine no other place to land (except on water) with over 200 passengers…

I would feel more comfortable having 4-engines over water in stormy winter sky… Too bad Delta will be retiring their B747 fleet…

As to in-flight entertainment, PAL will lend you an iPad full of movies on their A340's...

Skywalker
As to in-flight entertainment, PAL will lend you an iPad full of movies on their A340's...

Or take you own, as generally the tablets they have on many flights are old and scratched and with failing batteries.  That was my recent experience with Lenovo tablets supplied on SilkAir.  And the content was very limited because they bought 16gig units.

This was supposedly business class, but it was economy with bigger seats.  It's a shame really, but I think I wont use Singapore Air again.  The flight London/Singapore was fine, but the whole thing was spoilt by the Singapore/Cebu (via Davao) leg because of their using the budget airline.  I'll go back to Cathay, they are pretty good.

Edit:  How I wish Qatar would run a service to Cebu, they are one of the best business class airlines on the planet.

Edited by Skywalker

This is great news! I also heard that Cebu Pacific will be flying from the Philippines to Guam and Hawaii in 2016

• Like 1
Headshot

This is great news! I also heard that Cebu Pacific will be flying from the Philippines to Guam and Hawaii in 2016

That would be nice if they will have flights direct from Cebu.

Headshot, I hit quote but it brings up the response field empty?

So anyway, Cebu to Hawaii, even via Guam, would be great. Now I need to see if my Blue Cross/blue shield has a good hospital in Honolulu. Might be cheaper than going to California.

Edited by big RB
  • 3 months later...
SumDumJoe

Any one know if this is still true?

I tried to search today for the PAL flight from CEB to LAX in April 2016 but it shows all flight going through MNL.

Headshot

I tried to search today for the PAL flight from CEB to LAX in April 2016 but it shows all flight going through MNL.

I found the same thing for May 2016. I think it's just a tease.

survivor adik

Just did a mock booking for April 5 and return on April 19 and its there.

Flights operate every T-Th-S

CEBLAC.jpg

Edited by survivor adik
  • Like 1
Buko Beach

The direct PAL Cebu-LAX (vice-versa) are scheduled to fly on Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday. I searched PAL.com, and the direct flights are there. They are around $300USD more expensive for the round-trip direct flights vs routing through Manila.

If you try and search for Cebu-LAX flights on any other day of the week, since there are no direct flights PAL will route you through Manila.

From a quick search on PAL.com I noticed they will use the older A340's. The seat charts for confirmed bookings look very open, but that's to be expected 5 months out. I think the future of the direct Cebu-LAX flights will revolve around pricing. Right now with a $300USD per-person price difference I think many will book and fly through Manila. A single passenger might eat the price difference and fly direct but for a husband and wife plus a couple of kids the savings of over $1000USD will be worth the NAIA headache.

It will be interesting to watch the fares as the first Cebu-LAX direct flights get closer. Normal economics would dictate dropping the price of a flight to attract more passengers, but this is the Philippines where they think the opposite. Increase the fares for those who do book to try and get to the break-even level quicker.

IMFITP!

• Like 1
SumDumJoe

Thank you Buko and Survivor.

I was searching on Wednesdays, which is why I could not find the flight.

Here is one of the things I never understood about airlines. I just checked the flight on PAL's website.

On a Tuesday for business class one way it's $2393 direct to LAX.. On a Wednesday it $2373, twenty dollars cheaper, but goes through MNL first, then on to LAX. 

Now think about how much more it must cost the airline to fly me and my bags to Manila first, then to LAX, yet it is cheaper for me? It makes no sense. 

• Like 1
Buko Beach

Thank you Buko and Survivor.

I was searching on Wednesdays, which is why I could not find the flight.

Here is one of the things I never understood about airlines. I just checked the flight on PAL's website.

On a Tuesday for business class one way it's $2393 direct to LAX.. On a Wednesday it $2373, twenty dollars cheaper, but goes through MNL first, then on to LAX. 

Now think about how much more it must cost the airline to fly me and my bags to Manila first, then to LAX, yet it is cheaper for me? It makes no sense.

Well a lot of things do not make any sense when it comes to PAL, business class pricing being one of them.

I have flown business class many times back and forth to North America-Manila. Sometimes I pay, sometimes I use points and sometimes I get upgraded because PAL over-books economy (That happens a lot).

The real issue I have with PAL when it comes to business class, on most of the North America routes PAL has a virtual monopoly when it comes to direct flights, so they can charge whatever they want for a business class seat with little or no competition.

So if it costs roughly $1600 for a round trip economy seat with PAL, and a round trip business class seat costs roughly $5000 they have effectively priced themselves out of the range of many passengers. The number of passengers who actually pay for a business class seat on most of these flights is very low. I would guess roughly 5 per flight. Often the middle business class section is totally empty on the B777 and passengers are only seated there when economy is over-booked and they have to upgrade some passengers.

If PAL lowered the price of a round trip business class seat from roughly $5000 to $3500 that would entice a lot more passengers to book business class. In an industry where the profit margin on some International long-haul flights is under $10000, having even a few extra passengers book business class would mean an extra $1000 in profit per passenger per flight.

• 2 weeks later...
mistaeric

Well a lot of things do not make any sense when it comes to PAL, business class pricing being one of them.

I have flown business class many times back and forth to North America-Manila. Sometimes I pay, sometimes I use points and sometimes I get upgraded because PAL over-books economy (That happens a lot).

The real issue I have with PAL when it comes to business class, on most of the North America routes PAL has a virtual monopoly when it comes to direct flights, so they can charge whatever they want for a business class seat with little or no competition.

So if it costs roughly $1600 for a round trip economy seat with PAL, and a round trip business class seat costs roughly $5000 they have effectively priced themselves out of the range of many passengers. The number of passengers who actually pay for a business class seat on most of these flights is very low. I would guess roughly 5 per flight. Often the middle business class section is totally empty on the B777 and passengers are only seated there when economy is over-booked and they have to upgrade some passengers.

If PAL lowered the price of a round trip business class seat from roughly $5000 to $3500 that would entice a lot more passengers to book business class. In an industry where the profit margin on some International long-haul flights is under $10000, having even a few extra passengers book business class would mean an extra $1000 in profit per passenger per flight.

Instead of flying the middle business section empty, you would think PAL would offer the seats to passengers in the boarding area to upgrade for a few hundreds bucks. Its better then nothing right.

liquido

PAL might be good for the west coast guys direct from Cebu...I fly to Chicago so Korean Air business class works alot better for me Cebu-Inchon-Chicago..The Food/Service/Inchon airport certainly puts PAL to shame in every which way.....Plus its around $4200 which is not bad...