PAL to launch Cebu-Los Angeles direct flights in 2016

fordtech

http://www.rappler.com/business/industries/171-aviation-tourism/101767-philippine-airlines-cebu-los-angeles-direct-flights-soon

MANILA, Philippines – People in the Visayas and Mindanao can soon fly to the United States without passing through Manila once flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) begins its direct flights to Los Angeles from Cebu.

PAL will launch non-stop flights between the central Philippine city and Los Angeles in the first quarter of 2016, as part of the airline's US route expansion.

"Our customers in the Visayas and Mindanao have long clamored for direct flights between Cebu and the US due to the travel convenience this will bring," PAL President and Chief Operating Officer Jaime Bautista said in a statement released by the airline.

He added, "One can simply take a short hop to Cebu from any point in the Visayas and Mindanao and connect to Los Angeles, instead of flying all the way to Manila."

PAL said the Cebu-Los Angeles flights will start on March 15, 2016 – PAL's 75th founding anniversary – using its 254-seater Airbus A340, equipped with both business and economy class seats.

Flights will be thrice weekly, PAL said.

This new route will be the airline's 38th weekly flight to the United States and its territories, and will be the 34th international flight originating from the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.

• Like 2
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buko Beach

• tim

• ex231

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will stick with Korean their airport is very nice

Wow, SkyMan I really owe U a beer or two ...lol ... just cancelled my upgrade offers...U were right they did have it posted as USD. I could have sworn that it was posted in PHP , but when I went back

Hmm, I suspect this will be as short lived as the Cebu/Bangkok flights.   Price will be the deal maker/breaker.

Posted Images

woodchopper

should make a lot of yank fellas happy if the pricing is ok?

• Like 2

The wife is working in Northern California, and usually flies PAL, Manila to SFO. But I go to LA, then on to Cheyenne usually via Cebu to Inchon Korea. If they are priced right I will use this. But to save money, I been routed through Singapore. (Saved 300 USD for going 10 hours out of my way). So for me it depends on the price. I also like Korean and Asianna  Airlines, but was not on the flight that clipped the breakwater at SFO.   

miles-high

I also like Korean and Asianna  Airlines, but was not on the flight that clipped the breakwater at SFO.

The has a similar accident in Japan a few months ago (very similar to their SFO accident)…

://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/asiana-plane-crash-lands-at-japans-hiroshima-airport-veering-off-runway-and-injuring-27-people

Then, Korean Air ran off Guam runway recently… http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/state-wire/faa-investigating-after-korean-air-flight-goes-guam-runway

It’s the second incident /accident for KAL in Guam… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_incidents_and_accidents

For a few hundred dollars difference, my preferred airlines are Delta, United (old Continental routes), PAL, KLM, BA, AF, JAL, Hawaiian... Qantas has no fatal accident in its history and will try them one of these days... :)

• Like 1
ex231

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places, PAL flights to the US were considerably over priced. I'd fly them if the price was right but the "short hop to Cebu vs going to Manila" is not really a factor although it sounds good. 30 Min to Cebu from DGT vs 1:15 going to Manila with MUCH more flexibility.

For a few hundred dollars difference, my preferred airlines are Delta, United (old Continental routes), PAL, KLM, BA, AF, JAL, Hawaiian... Qantas has no fatal accident in its history and will try them one of these days... Like This

Interesting you'd chose United. They are my least favorite airline. My last two trips on United have been absolute cluster fecks. At the moment they have a great price on a multi city itinerary I'm looking at next year but I'm asking myself if being a price whore is worth screwing up my vacation.

• Like 3
miles-high

Interesting you'd chose United. They are my least favorite airline.

I only fly United between Guam to Manila, Tokyo and other Asian destinations (Air Micronesia cites). Their old 777’s was horrible from Honolulu to anywhere (Continental had nicer 767’s but United took them way) but recently they showed me an “improved” 777 seat configuration so I might try to fly with them between Honolulu and Guam next time. :)

• Like 2
smokey

I will stick with Korean their airport is very nice

• Like 6
Skywalker

Hmm, I suspect this will be as short lived as the Cebu/Bangkok flights.

Price will be the deal maker/breaker.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 5
Soarking

United now uses the new Boing 787 for some of its long haul flights across the Pacific. Just prior to my retirement I was involved with renovating United hanger 6 at LAX to accommodate the new 787's. Haven't flown in it but was able to go through it and it is one beautiful airplane. I would pay extra just to fly in it.

• Like 1
throttleplate

The wife is working in Northern California, and usually flies PAL, Manila to SFO. But I go to LA, then on to Cheyenne usually via Cebu to Inchon Korea. If they are priced right I will use this. But to save money, I been routed through Singapore. (Saved 300 USD for going 10 hours out of my way). So for me it depends on the price. I also like Korean and Asianna  Airlines, but was not on the flight that clipped the breakwater at SFO.   

to save money on trip to north dakota to visit my dad i flew cebu air to manila,  japan air from manila to tokyo, switch planes to 777-300  then on to hawaii, switch airlines in hawaii now on american air,  land in los angeles wait 8 hours to get next morning flight to dakota on allegiant air. The cost to go from manila to lax was $552.00, to get to manila from iloilo was $40.00, to get from lax to dakota was $129.00.

I will not ever take 5 different planes again to get home for a visit just to save $300.00 as that is what i saved, i will go back to using the PAL nonstop from lax to manila or the las vegas to lax to manila route. Allegiant air is the reason i can fly into or out of lax or las vegas for very cheap from north dakota.

I will mention that of all the flights to get home this trip all but 1 flight was on perfect schedule time up to the exact minute on departure time. Care to guess which airline was very late? Also japan air had the best food i ever had set in front of me on an airline, it was close to a 7 course dinner with the finishing touch being a great tasting fruit type of cake with a cup of hagen daus maplenut icecream.

• Like 1

I am a price whore for sure. If I can save 300 for 10 hours out of my way, I will do it every time. Money saved is not taxed, so that is like earning about 420 extra. that is 42 an hour for sitting on my butt. So sure I will do it.

• Like 2
liquido

I am a price whore for sure. If I can save 300 for 10 hours out of my way, I will do it every time. Money saved is not taxed, so that is like earning about 420 extra. that is 42 an hour for sitting on my butt. So sure I will do it.

At this stage of the game for me spending an extra $300 to cutoff 10 hours of my travel time is well worth it.There comes a time in your life were quality and comfort become a higher priority...The question is for all of us is what will you spend now for quality and comfort?.

• Like 3
woodchopper

At this stage of the game for me spending an extra $300 to cutoff 10 hours of my travel time is well worth it.There comes a time in your life were quality and comfort become a higher priority...The question is for all of us is what will you spend now for quality and comfort?.

i wish i could sleep on a plane!

• Like 2
liquido

i wish i could sleep on a plane!

Well if you take a potent Ambien sleeping pill and buy a $250 pair of Bose noise canceling earbuds you have a good chance..haha