Sign in to follow this  
Ozbrum

Australia, written by an American

Salty Dog

Yes.

Which particular saying were you referring to?

There wasn't any saying, but figured it might make for some interesting comebacks. But now I realize most Aussies on here probably have a Filipina. Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Paul

I've got two American mates, one from South Jersey and one from Texas. Both live on Philip Island (where the motorcycle GP is) but curiously have never met.

The Jersey bloke Billy came here as a bright-eyed 21 year old university graduate to take up a teaching job. 45 years later he's still here (yes he's 66 and still teaching). He reckons Americans spend all their time talking about freedom, whereas Australians spend all their time living it.

The Texan bloke Dale got an Oz government posting 18 years ago and he too fell in love with the place. He commissioned me to build him a Texas-style Barncaster with a Texan number plate for a pickguard (shooting clear top coat today). Both of them have said that when they go "home" to visit relatives, they can't wait to get back here to their real home.

Your American mates have been in Australia for so long, they don't have feckin' clue about the US any longer. I have been gone from the US for a decade and a half. It has changed a hell of a lot since I left. It certainly has in 45 years. 

Is it also true what they say about Aussie women?

That they prefer yanks? Yes. It's true. 

Reference: WWII

Jess Bartone

Your American mates have been in Australia for so long, they don't have feckin' clue about the US any longer. I have been gone from the US for a decade and a half. It has changed a hell of a lot since I left. It certainly has in 45 years. 

Billy goes to visit his mother every year or two, and all his friends and rels talk about is how bad things are getting. When they visit him they don't want to leave.

Dale left three years before you so he has about as much idea as you do. He visits every year or two as well and he gets the same onslaught.

That they prefer yanks? Yes. It's true. 

Reference: WWII

12,000 from 1,000,000 ain't too bad, I wonder how many divorced. One must also ask, why did 60,000 Americans prefer foreign women to American women.

All in - 'over-sexed, over-paid and over here'

Almost 1 million American service personnel, including about 100,000 Blacks, passed through Australia during World War II. American troops started arriving in Australia in December 1941 and during the next four years they became a continuous presence in Australian life, opening major cities to a new culture and making a substantial impact on the local economy.

At first they were welcomed as saviours but as time went on the glamour of their presence wore off. Australians became a little more critical of American ways even though the importance of the American alliance was never in question. American servicemen and women set up enclaves of American culture with soda fountains and their own clubs where they could eat their own American-style meals. They were better paid and had access to more exotic consumer items in their military PXs (tax free stores) and many Australian women saw the well-paid Americans as desirable and romantic. More than 12,000 Australian women became American war brides, most of whom returned to the US with their new husbands at the end of the war.

To put it in better perspective http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=59954

Many of these women found home on American soil side by side with their American husbands and produced a family, however for many women their hopes and dreams were broken by divorce.

Edited by Jess Bartone

old biker

a country settled by prostitutes, pimps and thieves can never be any good especially if the bastards descendants  are now in power  

• Like 1

Paul

a country settled by prostitutes, pimps and thieves can never be any good especially if the bastards descendants  are now in power  

I never really thought about it that way, before. No wonder I loved it so much, when I was there. 

• Like 3

woodchopper

There wasn't any saying,

hmm,,"fishing expedition" as the "learned friends" would say,,,,,,,

Jess Bartone

Still trotting out that old maxim.

Thing is, the Poms needed slaves to develop the land Cook discovered in 1770, so they rounded up as many Irish and other "vagrants" as they could on trumped up charges and shipped them off on a six month journey, in chains, on which a great many died of scurvy and starvation. Those that survived the trip often died under the whip. But the Poms are a fair-minded lot, so when their time was served the prisoners were given a ticket-of-leave and a small parcel of land if they stayed.

All the serious criminals, like the murderers, rapists, extortionists and embezzlers, ran away to New Zealand to escape justice and start a new life, with a new name and a clean slate.

You wouldn't be one of those miscreant Kiwis now would you?

• Like 3

Alan S

It is amazing to see what were crimes back then.

Stealing a handkerchief, for example, and some prisoners were given the choice between hanging or being transported to the colonies.

(Gee, what a choice!)

In the early days, many were shipped to America, or what would become America, but later, to Australia.

I guess that either is better than a neck-stretch.

• Like 2

woodchopper

despite being sentenced and sent 2 australia  as criminals,,not so many years thereafter,,a great many did go to australia on cheap passage.

my family did!

trivial charges sent the bulk of the "so called criminals" there,,(steal bread etc etc)

• Like 3

old biker

Still trotting out that old maxim.

Thing is, the Poms needed slaves to develop the land Cook discovered in 1770, so they rounded up as many Irish and other "vagrants" as they could on trumped up charges and shipped them off on a six month journey, in chains, on which a great many died of scurvy and starvation. Those that survived the trip often died under the whip. But the Poms are a fair-minded lot, so when their time was served the prisoners were given a ticket-of-leave and a small parcel of land if they stayed.

All the serious criminals, like the murderers, rapists, extortionists and embezzlers, ran away to New Zealand to escape justice and start a new life, with a new name and a clean slate.

You wouldn't be one of those miscreant Kiwis now would you?

you got it bruz us sheep  shaggers shagg the guts out of our sheep then we sell the old shagged out sheep to you poor gulliable ozzies then you eat them !!! :yahoo: ya up the K1W1's go Kiwi go. :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Edited by old biker

old biker

David Mason is a Writer, a Professor, and a Poet Laureate from Colorado, USA

There's a lot to admire about Australia, especially if you're a visiting American, says David Mason.

More often than you might expect, Australian friends 

patiently listening to me enthuse about their country 

have said,''We need outsiders like you to remind us 

what we have.''  So here it is - a small presumptuous 

list of what one foreigner admires in Oz.

who ever wrote this load of pigs droppings has been self abusing themselves whilst head banging the wall,

woodchopper

but NZ sports crowd numbers are down because of the "taking wife to the game"!

naughty bitches kept jumping the fences and munching on the fresh cut oval grass,,SO BAD

• Like 3

Jess Bartone

you got it bruz us sheep  shaggers shagg the guts out of our sheep then we sell the old shagged out sheep to you poor gulliable ozzies then you eat them !!!  ya up the K1W1's go Kiwi go. 

Spot you miscreants a mile off. "Last one out turn off the light".

woodchopper

Lights in a barnyard?

• Like 1

old biker

at least i ain't never shagged no guitar no sir,, well when i was sober i think i ain't never done no such thing.hay the lights will never be turned off were importing all the boat people, give them kiwi passports then we ship them off to australia just to piss ya all off a bit more, coz we stole all your jobs remember so thats why you mob are all on the dole coz us kiwi's are more smarter at doing things like working in the mines and chassing your sheilars plus the bonus of stealing a good job from you bludgers lol :yahoo:  :wave:

Edited by old biker
  • Like 1