Crime in Philippines increasing.

RogerDat

Greetings!

While the Philippine National Police (PNP) claimed a 60 percent decrease in crimes in Metro Manila, the number of crimes committed nationwide increased by about 46 percent during the first six months of the year as compared to the same period last year.

Records from the PNP Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM) showed that theft, car theft, physical injuries and rape were among the crimes that had a huge increase.

The PNP said 885,445 crimes were reported from January to June, compared to 603,085 cases during the same period last year.

There were 352,321 index crimes for the first six months of the year, which is 37.3 percent more than the 256,592 cases reported in the same period last year.

Index crimes include murder, homicide, rape, robbery and theft while non-index crimes include estafa, prostitution, kidnapping and car theft.

PNP-DIDM records indicated that from 86,451 thefts recorded in the first six months of 2014, this ballooned to 105,229 cases this year while cases of car theft jumped to 10,039 from 5,599 last year.

Murders increased from 5,004 cases to 7,245 cases this year while homicides were up to 6,607 from 4,091 last year.

Cases of physical injury increased to 182,886 from 122,084 last year while rapes increased to 8,288 this year from 5,069 last year.

The PNP said 172,959 index crimes were “cleared” – settled between the complainant and the respondent – and 100,938 last year.

Index crimes “solved” – meaning charges were filed in court – were reported at 134,074 cases this year compared to 74,172 last year.

The PNP earlier announced that crime rate in Metro Manila was reduced by 60 to 70 percent due to the systematic implementation of Oplan Lambat-Sibat, an anti-crime drive supervised by Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II.

Roxas and the PNP announced a plan to implement Oplan Lambat-Sibat in Central Luzon and Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon).

Under Oplan Lambat-Sibat, police officers set up surprise checkpoints, raid or visit the homes of delinquent gun owners, intensify intelligence-gathering and operations against organized crime groups and aggressively pursue fugitives.

The PNP also puts pressure on officials who head city and municipal police forces as well as station and precinct commanders to produce results in the fight against crime.

smokey

Guess them gun laws are harder to enforce then expected ..

Guess them gun laws are harder to enforce then expected ..

They Got Gun Laws here, Who'd have Thunk it?

liquido

While the Philippine National Police (PNP) claimed a 60 percent decrease in crimes in Metro Manila

Thats one hell of a drop in crime....

Alan S

I dont believe the figures stated in that article.

• Like 1
youngwillie

Looks like the Metro Manila cops could teach the rest of the world how to do it properly.

Like a couple of others here, I'm having a hard time believing this report.

Topper

Like a couple of others here, I'm having a hard time believing this report.

Me too. I think the crime rate went down because there is not much left to steal. Less to steal = less crime.

angbumabasa

19 years ago here, when the local PNP was moving from revolvers to semi-automatic side arms, they were unarmed except for rifles and shotguns kept at headquarters, in Maasin. Nobody cared. It took 6 to 12 months for transition. So what. Now? Crime has been on the upswing every where. Shabu, home invasion, violent homicides, PDEA agent attempted murder killing his father (in daylight on the Canturing Bridge), rape, etc. Times have certainly changed.

calasiaobound

Beats me on the stats..

I've seen several awesome fights while being here though. Seems fightings more prevalent than where I'm from.

smokey

Beats me on the stats..

I've seen several awesome fights while being here though. Seems fightings more prevalent than where I'm from.

what type of fighting regular drunks or gays..

calasiaobound

Saw a five on four in dagupan city. Barangay cop got involved and was getting in some good licks. Dunno if alcohol was to blame but I'm sure it played a role.

Several one on ones..

Best one tho was many trike drivers against like 10 teens. Teens were throwing rocks and the trike guys returned fire..several ppl engaged in fisticuffs, followed by knives being drawn and then cops coming and beating the hell out of everyone.

The aftermath was multiple jeepney windows smashed, businesses and the like..no one was seriously injured..

Haven't seen any gays fighting yet.

what type of fighting regular drunks or gays..

Edited by calasiaobound
smokey

Saw a five on four in dagupan city. Barangay cop got involved and was getting in some good licks. Dunno if alcohol was to blame but I'm sure it played a role.

Several one on ones..

Best one tho was many trike drivers against like 10 teens. Teens were throwing rocks and the trike guys returned fire..several ppl engaged in fisticuffs, followed by knives being drawn and then cops coming and beating the hell out of everyone.

The aftermath was multiple jeepney windows smashed, businesses and the like..no one was seriously injured..

Haven't seen any gays fighting yet.

the gays are the most dangerous they go for the eyes and equipment I have seen a few do battle in a call center over stolen eye shadow

• Like 4
ricardo123#

idk.. I pretty much keep to myself and my lady.. I did see a good gay fight tho in her barangay while there for a family type gathering. It was in the street and vicious as hell.. lots of slapping and hair pulling and scratching and screeching.. WOW. it got out of hand and one got stabbed and went to the hospital. I had another beer and some more food.. I mean wth?.. it was not UFC?.. it was live tho

• Like 1
miles-high

what is the difference between murder and homicide?

Simply put, killing a human being is homicide, including war, justifiable killing, etc… Depending on the country, state, province, etc., there could be murder (“intent”, "malice") or manslaughter (“heat of passion”, “reckless disregard”) and probably a statutory crime of negligent killing, etc. So, the word homicide encompasses any and all killing of a human being by another human being...

• Like 2